Trufuel vs. Stihl Motomix vs. VP small engine fuel. Whats the difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my old skool thinking, but why would anyone pay 5x the cost of fuel for something they could mix up themselves? I run through 40-50 gallons of saw gas a year I could not, nor would I ever want to afford that stuff, as handy as it may be.

I've been doing the same as the OP. For those of us with 2-stroke engines that are used seasonally, it may make sense. Too soon to say how effective using Tru-fuel as a "prophylactic" will be. But if it reduces the number of fuel lines, diaphragms and or carbs I have to replace from Ethanol damage. It seems like insurance.

Desperation. In a word. We're desperate for a source of ethanol free fuel. Some have been "making" their own ethanol free fuel via phase shift. I'm interested in finding an efficient, safe way to do so myself.

Danone' question is hard to answer but well thought out.

When did it get to the point where we have to have pre-mix in cans and we don't have any problem paying an arm and a leg for it, and yet, we seem to be able to justify it? :msp_thumbdn:
It seems that about 2007 maybe before then that ethanol fuel became more common or prevalent at gas pumps. In our small town we buy non-e fuels at Shell or Conoco, as other sellers have ethanol. Then there is the increase in impurities in fuel that's causing us in the small engine world to clean carbs more often, to empty the fuel mix back out after a work session and idle til empty, and to buy fuel more frequently in smaller quantities. Heck, I never used to concern myself with fuel that was two or three months old but now it's a top priority.

Last edited:
i am thinking about getting some to put in when i put my saws up for a long period of time,, home depot has it for 33.00 for 6 cans of it

Is the smell really the only difference between Aspen and Motomix? We want to switch to one of them and are actually in the process of choosing. Motomix is cheaper. Buying by 200 Liter barrels helps reduce the price. Less pollution is commercially interesting for us since we work a lot in rivers and protected areas. We also figured that having 200 liter barrels delivered will save time and hassle. We can have up to 20 chainsaws, brush cutters, blowers (...) running at the same time and therefore spend time mixing and lining up at the gas station. Not to mention what happens when our employees suddenly realize, at 8 in the morning, that there in not enough fuel for every crew...

The canned fuel is ideal for those who rarely use their piece of equipment. This is especially so, for those in the rescue business. If you are a fireman and need your rescue saw to run NOW you can't afford to not use this stuff. For them a quart of fuel will last a long time.

For the home owner, they might only burn a quart of fuel all summer long so $8 worth of fuel for a summer is still inexpensive. More so when you figure in the cost of a carb cleaning 'cause of bad fuel.

Ken

In our case, environmentally friendly gas (and chain oil) can be worth it since we have customers ready to pay extra for it: working in rivers, near areas where they pump drinking water, "natura 2000" areas (areas protected by the European union), national parks... (I'm talking about 200 liter "cans" here)
Of course, for small land owners, longer shelf life is a big plus.

In our case, environmentally friendly gas (and chain oil) can be worth it since we have customers ready to pay extra for it: working in rivers, near areas where they pump drinking water, "natura 2000" areas (areas protected by the European union), national parks... (I'm talking about 200 liter "cans" here)
Of course, for small land owners, longer shelf life is a big plus.

Not to exclude you as a european but the products are different.

These products in the US are just gasoline with stihl ultra added, sold under the "motomix" name in stihl's case.

Aspen is a special type of fuel that's made from exhaust gasses and actually has a slightly different chemical profile (less benzene etc and more consistent hydrocarbon chain lengths) vs regular gas.

Not sure what the Stihl motomix is over there but I would assume it'snot the same product that we're getting here

Not to exclude you as a european but the products are different.

These products in the US are just gasoline with stihl ultra added, sold under the "motomix" name in stihl's case.

Aspen is a special type of fuel that's made from exhaust gasses and actually has a slightly different chemical profile (less benzene etc and more consistent hydrocarbon chain lengths) vs regular gas.

Not sure what the Stihl motomix is over there but I would assume it'snot the same product that we're getting here

I sure would like to know if our motomix is really different. Not sure... That's why I tend to favor Aspen so far, even though it's more expensive. Anybody have more info on motomix content/refining?

I quit worrying about the fumes when I thought about the millions of LA residence who lived in a leaded haze for decades and still lived to be 80-90 years old. Also air planes regularly dump thousands of gallons of "jet a" into the air when they need to land with any technical problems. Hope I don't ruffle too many feathers!

I quit worrying about the fumes when I thought about the millions of LA residence who lived in a leaded haze for decades and still lived to be 80-90 years old. Also air planes regularly dump thousands of gallons of "jet a" into the air when they need to land with any technical problems. Hope I don't ruffle too many feathers!

This might help you understand why I worry about fumes:
I am working on an estimate for a job where environmental policies will take a big part in the final decision. 4 months of brush cutting for a crew of 4 or 5: 200 000$! For that price, I can forget about planes!

I think any of them would be comparable, I used to store my saws dry, now I've started to dump all the old mix out and pour just enough motomix in the saw to start and run it and then shut it down, I think it is prolly better to have the cdaarb wet, and with the shelf life I don't worry about it.

I couldn't began to afford to run it everyday with the amount of 2 cycle fuel we use, but it certainlly has it's place, we sell motomix and trufuel especially to older customers who just run their blowers or trimmers infrequently and recommend it for storage of the unit.

I tried a few canned fuels and found them to all be good but expensive. Now I run 100LL, cheap and good quality. Other than the slow lead poisoning I love it. I do put the leaded mix into the empty canned fuel containers. No spouts or funnels needs in the forest.
I agree, use 100LL for my chainsaws, lawnmower, snowblower & motorcycles. Much better refined gasoline, also use stab-bil in it. Why do you think it is used in aviation.

The canned fuel is ideal for those who rarely use their piece of equipment. This is especially so, for those in the rescue business. If you are a fireman and need your rescue saw to run NOW you can't afford to not use this stuff. For them a quart of fuel will last a long time.

For the home owner, they might only burn a quart of fuel all summer long so $8 worth of fuel for a summer is still inexpensive. More so when you figure in the cost of a carb cleaning 'cause of bad fuel.

Ken

+1 on that. Guys that use our gear commercially rarely have the problems that home users have. I'm going through a gallon or two a day, so fuel problems aren't much of an issue. My gear wears out in other ways. For home users, my dealer tells me that 95% of the equipment brought in is bad gas. Their standard workshop procedure for any 2 stroke equipment brought in is; dump the gas, fresh mix in, new plug, and 9 times out of 10 bingo! That'll be $95 thank you. There just isn't that much to go wrong on 2 stroke gear, especially with low hours. Worst case scenario they're looking at a new carb or new fuel lines. They don't do carb rebuilds any more, the cost of a brand new carb is now less than the cost of labour plus a carb kit.

Yeah it's not that hard if you're a homeowner. You could add stabiliser to your fuel, or drain your tanks and then run dry. We always used to do that when I was a kid, you'd finish up mowing the lawn or whatever and drain the tank, run the mower dry. Next use you'd fuel it up fresh and it'd start every time. Nobody has the patience any more, and nobody wants to go buy new fuel those 2 or 3 times a year you need that bit of gear. The canned fuel is a good solution to those low volume users, and brings you out well ahead when you factor in the time/cost of not having your gear running when you want it.

VP's website said they used Motul oil but it doesn't specify which one.
The last conversation I had with some one I would consider in the know. it was reported to be 710. But I have no idea if they tender out for contracts, or stick with the same supplier. If they are still with Motul I would think it is 710 as this is their top of the range oil( 800 is reputedly same base but with extra additives for keeping power valves free & clean etc.)

Back