Uh oh....looks like I might need to buy 2 saws this week!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have a lot of big (24-36" diameter) timber on our place. In fact, today we had a 34" dia maple taken down, and we have similar sized firs on tap for the next few years. (This is all sub-standard wood, no good for market, but great for our woodstove!)

In the past, for those times when I needed a bigger saw than I owned, I borrowed a friend's old Husky. It's a big beast with a 34" bar (I think...never actually measured it), and I generally use it to the point that my 488 can handle the load, then gleefully switch to that lighter saw!

Well, I just got a phone call...his saw was stolen out of his truck, and he has no plans to replace it. So I now have no saw to borrow, which means I have to get one of my own!

What I need is the ability to pull a 32" (or so) bar. Don't really care about power/weight ratio, as a) I don't have to carry it far, and b) I have all the time in the world. It won't get used a lot - a couple of trees per year, max - so I don't need a high end saw. Wood will be fir and broadleaf maple - no really hard woods.

In that displacement range, is there anything that doesn't carry a pro duty cycle and corresponding price tag?

-=[ Grant ]=-

I would start looking for a used 70-80cc saw if $$$ is a problem and if you're not gonna use it a lot.

I'll be doing that too, but I have no problem buying a new saw at this moment. Circumstances are such that I need to get this thing cut up, and used saws in good condition are hard to come by in these parts.

-=[ Grant ]=-

I'll be doing that too, but I have no problem buying a new saw at this moment. Circumstances are such that I need to get this thing cut up, and used saws in good condition are hard to come by in these parts.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Very true.

I have been casually looking for a used 70cc saw close by and cheap - but I can wait :)

As far as brands - which ones did you have in mind?

New, the MS 441 will run you almost $800 with a good sized bar. (I think??) The 460 is an extra $50 or $60.

In that size saw, there is no non-pro models, you'r gona have to buck up to buy one of the BIG DOGS!! Or buy used.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Is there any noticeable pricing differential at that level - between Stihl, Husky, Shindaiwa, Jonsered, Echo, or Dolmar, am I likely to find one that is noticeably less expensive?

-=[ Grant ]=-

That's kinda what I was thinking. Is there any noticeable pricing differential at that level - between Stihl, Husky, Shindaiwa, Jonsered, Echo, or Dolmar, am I likely to find one that is noticeably less expensive?

-=[ Grant ]=-

I think Dolmar and Husky will run you less than Stihl - but then again what do you have for dealers there?

As far as brands - which ones did you have in mind?

While I'm partial to Shindaiwa, due to good experience with my own 488, other's 448s, and their trimmers, in this case I'm very open. Since this is not going to see a lot of use, I'm not going to be as anal regarding the service life.

Then again, from what I'm gathering there probably isn't going to be a big difference anyhow, as all saws of such displacement are apparently considered "pro quality."

-=[ Grant ]=-

I think Dolmar and Husky will run you less than Stihl - but then again what do you have for dealers there?

Actually, that isn't a problem. There's a Husky dealer 8 miles away, a Stihl dealer 12 miles away (and several others just a bit further, which is good because I hate the close one), and (literally) all the other brands (including Dolmar) have dealers within 25 miles.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Actually, that isn't a problem. There's a Husky dealer 8 miles away, a Stihl dealer 12 miles away (and several others just a bit further, which is good because I hate the close one), and (literally) all the other brands (including Dolmar) have dealers within 25 miles.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Lucky man!

Initially I thought 32" = Stihl 660 but I changed my mind. You say you don't use that length bar that often so I'm going to recommend a 70-80cc saw:
Stihl 441, 460
Husky 372
Dolmar 7900

And buy it with a 24" and 32" bar. I think you will use any one of those saws a LOT with the 24" bar. Sling the 32" when you have to. If you get a larger saw (like the 660) then I think you will use it as you described, cut the big stuff and put it away, which is a shame.
Dok

And buy it with a 24" and 32" bar. I think you will use any one of those saws a LOT with the 24" bar. Sling the 32" when you have to. If you get a larger saw (like the 660) then I think you will use it as you described, cut the big stuff and put it away, which is a shame.

That makes a lot of sense. That way I could keep an 18" on the 488, making it a bit lighter and handier, and still be able to jump up in size easily by grabbing the other saw.

A lot of the folks around here seem to really like the Dolmar; Husky model numbers confuse me - which of their 70-80cc saws has the best reputation?

I'm also considering a Shindaiwa 757 - one thing I've noticed about their saws is that they seem to start easier than others, which is a big plus for me. I also like their more "traditional" control layout.

Even the "lowly" Echo CS-8000 seems to have fans around here, and I'll consider it as well.

-=[ Grant ]=-

-=[ Grant ]=-

Wow... take your pick dude...

You can't go wrong either way in the 70cc and bigger department. :)

Gary

Initially I thought 32" = Stihl 660 but I changed my mind. You say you don't use that length bar that often so I'm going to recommend a 70-80cc saw:
Stihl 441, 460
Husky 372
Dolmar 7900

Dok

I think your right on about swapping bars on the bigger saws. Price wise and power wise I would check in to the 7900 dolmar(79cc) . Then maybe compare it to the 372 Husqvarna (72 cc) or even a 385xp Husqvarna(85cc). I am just mainly a firewood cutter but do run a 385 and a 32 when needed for big stuff. Mostly it wears a 20.
Bob

Dolmar 7900

+1 on the Dolmar 7900. Power to weight that can't be beat. You'll end up getting a smaller bar for it and using it all the time, and it'll of course pull the bigger bars as well. It won't kill your wallet to buy it either.

Since Superfire brought it up, look at the Efco 981 or 181[ same as JD ]. If you're looking for bang for the buck, there are some real bargains out there on the Efco's. If you have a dealer in the area all the better.

Since you have a Dolmar dealer nearby, I would go with the deal from Amicks. I would get one myself, but they aren't available in my area. There are 2 dealers listed on the Dolmar site that are near me. I went to the one, and its a rental place with alot of Makita power tools. He tells me he can get me a Dolmar. Well, so can I. The other one hasn't answered the phone in a month. Check your Dolmar dealer to see if they actually have saws to sell and have parts.

I have 2 Efco dealers nearby and a 3rd that used to sell them and will service them so I am saving up for a 981.

Latest posts

Back