Untouched hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, same here, plenty of boating places here, in the ocean Gulf Islands, way too many places to explore, and many many many lakes. I go on Elk lake allot, since its 5 mins from my house.

I have travelled your province a lot and really envey the abundance of lakes and rivers out there. I have travelled the Island and there is many sites I would love to canoe out there as well. Power boating is fine but to get close to nature the canoe is so quiet, I get to see things that few people have experienced close up in the wild.
Pioneerguy600

Government just put out proposals here for what they call 'biomass heating facilities'. They are going to heat six gov. buildings with either wood chips or straw, cornstalks...etc. Hopefully they go with the straw or something that will help the farmers a bit and save the forest.
Interesting thing is , the city of Summerside was going to get in on this biomass bandwagon also, but they did a study and found that it wasn't cost effective at the current price of oil.
Poor cost effectiveness never slows down the government though....lol

Been battling Goverment all my life.
Pioneerguy600

I have travelled your province a lot and really envey the abundance of lakes and rivers out there. I have travelled the Island and there is many sites I would love to canoe out there as well. Power boating is fine but to get close to nature the canoe is so quiet, I get to see things that few people have experienced close up in the wild.
Pioneerguy600

Yes, I do like paddling as well. A buddy has a couple of canoe's, I've taken the kids out a few times, its very enjoyable. If you every travel around here again, look me up!

Of course this thread is drawing a lot of attention. I clicked, hoping for pictures, which you provided.

The love of the woods and chainsaws brings most of us here.
I just like being outside. Currently looking for a canoe or kayak to start a little paddling myself.

Thanks for the lessons on Loons too. :cheers:

Nice thread Jerry. I like the stories of you and your Dad and Granddad. Sounds like you had (and have) a pretty good life.

Thanks Jeff,
To me I believe that I have lead a very good life, to others they probably view me as simple, I have not spent my entire life chasing the almighty dollar and likely spend too much time appreciating the land and my surroundings. I have used the land as a woods worker, farmer and fisherman but like to think I leave a very shallow footprint.
Pioneerguy600

Probably the only places 3 lb. fish can still be caught are not accessable by any kind of road, I travel by boat and canoe for 12-14 miles in from any roads to go fishing, not many big fish still easy to get but there is still some in the backwoods that have seen limited fishing pressure. I am not bragging but I have fished this province all my life and have found a very few spots where a big fish still swims. It`s been 2 years since I landed a 3 lb. plus brookie but I have at least hooked and lost a couple that were in that class. I am a fly fisher myself, 5wt graphite rod my fav. backwoods companion. I lost a big fella last Sunday but at least had the privilidge to have a battle with him for at least 2 mins, got caught up in a submerged tree limb and broke the 2 lb. leader.
Pioneerguy600

12 to 15 miles one way in a canoe and back in one day i probly couldnt do..
i even use a 5wt on the salmon there and NB.. i use 6lb flouro carbon,same dia as mono 3lb..
well,this aint a fishing forum so no pix :(
nice spot tho..
next time thru will listen for your saws :)

Yes, I do like paddling as well. A buddy has a couple of canoe's, I've taken the kids out a few times, its very enjoyable. If you every travel around here again, look me up!

If I ever get back out to the Island I will. I am shooting for another big canoe trip in Northern B.C. and up into the Yukon, might drag Lawrence along with me. LOL
Pioneerguy600

If I ever get back out to the Island I will. I am shooting for another big canoe trip in Northern B.C. and up into the Yukon, might drag Lawrence along with me. LOL
Pioneerguy600

That sounds like allot of fun! A friend of mine used to do allot of guiding around BC, all Canoe as well. Kids/family seem to get in the way of these things allot.

Of course this thread is drawing a lot of attention. I clicked, hoping for pictures, which you provided.

The love of the woods and chainsaws brings most of us here.
I just like being outside. Currently looking for a canoe or kayak to start a little paddling myself.

Thanks for the lessons on Loons too. :cheers:

Good for you LP, paddling is almost a passion for me, at one time I was a racer and then got involved as a marathon race canoe paddler, competed and won some of the big races here where we cross from one side of the province to the other, kind of a coast to coast race that takes 8-10 hrs with a lot of paddling and some portage running. Getting too old for that stuff nowadays but it was a great experience, just paddle for pleasure and fishing nowadays. I would have you conversing with the loons if you were handy, once you have heard them on some remote backwoods lake it makes a person feel like part of the wilderness.
Pioneerguy600
Pioneerguy600

12 to 15 miles one way in a canoe and back in one day i probly couldnt do..
i even use a 5wt on the salmon there and NB.. i use 6lb flouro carbon,same dia as mono 3lb..
well,this aint a fishing forum so no pix :(
nice spot tho..
next time thru will listen for your saws :)

I wish you taught lines and well presented flies, salmon fishing on rivers here has mostly diminished, not worth the effort any more but I did catch my share over the years. My largest landed Atlantic was only 20lbs.6 oz. taken back in the good ole days on an 8' glass rod I built from Fenwick FMC blanks. Great thrill to catch and land a fish on a rod I built myself on a dry fly I tied myself. Watch your backcast.
Pioneerguy600

That sounds like allot of fun! A friend of mine used to do allot of guiding around BC, all Canoe as well. Kids/family seem to get in the way of these things allot.

Very true, my family and raising the kids did get somewhat in the way but the kids have now grown, mostly through with their higher learning and soon completely on their own so I get a little more time now to chase my passions.
Pioneerguy600

Amen brother. I haven’t paddled in over 6 years now, not that I ever did on the scale Jerry has, but I milled about the local creeks and rivers catching smallies a good bit.

I used to spend more time in the woods and on the water than I did at home... used to fish bass tournaments on the armature scale, hunted anything that walked, crawled, flew, or swam and was fairly successful at it.... :cry:

Seems like life has got in the way of living here lately, not that I'd trade it for anything in the world though... I'm pretty lucky to live the life I do. :cheers:

Very true, my family and raising the kids did get somewhat in the way but the kids have now grown, mostly through with their higher learning and soon completely on their own so I get a little more time now to chase my passions.
Pioneerguy600

Amen brother. I haven’t paddled in over 6 years now, not that I ever did on the scale Jerry has, but I milled about the local creeks and rivers catching smallies a good bit.

I used to spend more time in the woods and on the water than I did at home... used to fish bass tournaments on the armature scale, hunted anything that walked, crawled, flew, or swam and was fairly successful at it.... :cry:

Seems like life has got in the way of living here lately, not that I'd trade it for anything in the world though... I'm pretty lucky to live the life I do. :cheers:

Yup, thanks guys. I don't regret a thing, I love my kids greatly! My kids now actually like going fishing at the lake, so I take them whenever I can. Going to be doing some water sports this summer as well. We like camping as a family as well, well if you can call it camping in a travel trailer, but its fun. My kids are far from grown, 8 and 6, lots of good years to come, I look forward to it.

Those pictures remind me of a place that we go spend the weekends sometimes, it's an island on Center Hill Lake here in TN. The lake was built in the late '40s and on the one mile wide, two mile long island the timber is huge, and will not be cut. I've spent many days and nights camping, hunting and fishing there, and can't think of a place that means more to me. It just feels "right" there in the winter when there are no boats around.

Hey Mark, you are very welcome, I had no idea so many would drop by to check out a few picts of the woods.
Pioneerguy600

Its not only the pictures mate but your comments as well. Just a few pictures is one thing but understanding your feelings towards the place makes it all the more appealing to read :cheers:

Not meaning to hijack but my best mate bought 120 acres of forest in Tasmania, Australia. He has some very large, beautiful trees there even though the place has been selectively logged. I'd love to see some of the trees that were on this place, it's awesome as it is.

I hate tree hugging hippys but after seeing some of the old growth forests down there I now know what some of their greenie hype is about. Some of the trees they are dropping down there are well worth chaining yourself to ;) Well not really but you know what I mean. I only blame the government for some of it, not the loggers. They are doing it tough in areas down there and lucky to pay the bills by all accounts. The Tasmanian government is certainly managing it better than most though...

Its not only the pictures mate but your comments as well. Just a few pictures is one thing but understanding your feelings towards the place makes it all the more appealing to read :cheers:

Not meaning to hijack but my best mate bought 120 acres of forest in Tasmania, Australia. He has some very large, beautiful trees there even though the place has been selectively logged. I'd love to see some of the trees that were on this place, it's awesome as it is.

I hate tree hugging hippys but after seeing some of the old growth forests down there I now know what some of their greenie hype is about. Some of the trees they are dropping down there are well worth chaining yourself to ;) Well not really but you know what I mean. I only blame the government for some of it, not the loggers. They are doing it tough in areas down there and lucky to pay the bills by all accounts. The Tasmanian government is certainly managing it better than most though...

Thanks and duely noted. The large trees and the old growth forest in general are dissappearing worldwide, some tree hugging is necessary. I am not a tree hugging hippie but have fought to keep some of the oldgrowth forest from being clearcut here in N.S.. There has been three rather large areas designated as Wilderness Areas close to me in the last couple of years, these cannot be logged.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back