Untouched hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picts are loading a little small, I will see what I can do.

Oyster%20Pond%20031.jpg

Oyster%20Pond%20032.jpg

Oyster%20Pond%20033.jpg

Pioneerguy600

What the heck is going on!

Jerry,you went and started a thread like this without letting me know, well all be!!! FANTASTIC is all I can say!I know I have had a sneak preview,but not all the stories you have told here.You have such great memories of your family and it's roots in working the land.As I mentioned to you before I would love to learn the ropes of canoeing from you.And I have that 16 foot fiberglass Frontiersman hanging from the ceiling in the garage that I have never even been in.It belonged to my wife's uncle and we just could not resist buying it for what he wanted for it.I can think of many great places to go here in B.C. Trouble is how are we going to fit all the fellas in from AS that want to come along.We wouldn't even have room for the fellas from B.C. alone! Well there's Brad and Will, Bigbadbob would probably be in maybe a few from Washington State.Man, I can here the tales around the campfire already.LOL
Really good stuff you have posted up here Jerry!Thanks for sharing!
Lawrence

Jerry,you went and started a thread like this without letting me know, well all be!!! FANTASTIC is all I can say!I know I have had a sneak preview,but not all the stories you have told here.You have such great memories of your family and it's roots in working the land.As I mentioned to you before I would love to learn the ropes of canoeing from you.And I have that 16 foot fiberglass Frontiersman hanging from the ceiling in the garage that I have never even been in.It belonged to my wife's uncle and we just could not resist buying it for what he wanted for it.I can think of many great places to go here in B.C. Trouble is how are we going to fit all the fellas in from AS that want to come along.We wouldn't even have room for the fellas from B.C. alone! Well there's Brad and Will, Bigbadbob would probably be in maybe a few from Washington State.Man, I can here the tales around the campfire already.LOL
Really good stuff you have posted up here Jerry!Thanks for sharing!
Lawrence

I have been wanting to go back and visit my childhood haunts for quite a while and figured this year I will get around to actually doing it. Only drawback to doing so is the memories it digs up but they are overwhelmingly good ones so I will continue on with this quest.
I have spent some good time in the canoes this year, fishing has been great this year, weather not too bad either.
Next trip out your way we will get that canoe of yours out and get it wet. Now we will have to take a chainsaw along with us to be eligible to keep posting on this site.
I have to admit there were no chainsaws used to construct the house or barn in the picts I posted last evening. After a long conversation with the caretakers of the homestead in the picts I am convinced that a chainsaw was never owned or used on this property. The homestead has been a museum for the past 25 years and they try to keep it looking," period",they do a good job of it. The timbers were hewn and the boards were pit sawn, all hand powered in those days.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks, Jerry. You made me miss the small farm I grew up on. We had 70 acres of mostly cedar, on top of some pasture land. Dad would'nt let anyone near it. That was back in Ontario, and I miss it to this day. It makes me sad that my children won't get to know that life. I don't live all that far from you now, and they are bulldozing everything for these high-density housing projects. There is about 75 acres behind me, and I fear it is not long before it is gone. I think it was from a Lynyrd Skynyrd song - "I can see the concrete slowly creeping....."
Thanks for the pics. :cheers:

I know, the urban sprawl along with the expansion of the city limits is ever creeping closer to me also. A trip down East every so often takes me back to childhood, it has changed somewhat but not nearly as much as the city outskirts. I will post more picts of the other places I plan to visit this summer.
Pioneerguy600

Looking Forward To That!

Jerry,that would be great to see more pictures of Nova Scotia! Any seascapes coming?Lake and river pictures?Cabin in the woods pictures?Love all that stuff!
Lawrence

Jerry,that would be great to see more pictures of Nova Scotia! Any seascapes coming?Lake and river pictures?Cabin in the woods pictures?Love all that stuff!
Lawrence

I am making a trip up to a backwoods camp this weekend, I will drag along one of the Pioneer 600`s and set it on the deck, the last time that saw set on the deck of that camp was around 1958-60. It will be like a homecoming for the saw.LOL. I will take some picts while there, I will have to warn all the viewers beforehand that the view will be of such magnitude that some may have heart palipations. Anyone with blood pressure or heart problems should have their medicines and a doctor handy.LOL.
Pioneerguy600

I am making a trip up to a backwoods camp this weekend, I will drag along one of the Pioneer 600`s and set it on the deck, the last time that saw set on the deck of that camp was around 1958-60. It will be like a homecoming for the saw.LOL. I will take some picts while there, I will have to warn all the viewers beforehand that the view will be of such magnitude that some may have heart palipations. Anyone with blood pressure or heart problems should have their medicines and a doctor handy.LOL.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks for the warning Jerry. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. Thanks for sharing all these with us.

Well I made it up to the backwoods shack this weekend, I took along the 038 Magnum just in case there were any windfalls that needed cleaning up. There were 5 new falls out behind the camp and I did manage to cut them all up into manageable size pieces and there will be a big bonfire this fall. The 038 made short work of it all. Some picts of the camp and what I have to put up with for a view.

Oyster%20Pond%20052.jpg

Oyster%20Pond%20049.jpg

Backwoods

Jerry those pictures are awesome!! Cabin,what cabin?I see a house in those pictures.That hardwood forest in beautiful!Would love to take a hike in that country any day.How's the fishing in that lake? I don't see much of a difference in that clear cut as opposed to the ones we see here in B.C. except for the species of trees.One thing about the clearcuts is they offer plenty of browse for moose once the willows start to grow back here in B.C. One hunting trip we made few years ago we came across a clear cut that seemed never ending,it looked like moon scape as far as you could see.
Thanks for the pictures Jerry
Lawrence

BEAUTIFUL. My grandma had 28 acres up north that was off limits for hunting and we only used dead/dying trees. She had a cabin up there and the fishing was superb! HANG ON TO THAT PIECE WITH YOUR LIFE!!!! Not everyone is as lucky.

Jerry those pictures are awesome!! Cabin,what cabin?I see a house in those pictures.That hardwood forest in beautiful!Would love to take a hike in that country any day.How's the fishing in that lake? I don't see much of a difference in that clear cut as opposed to the ones we see here in B.C. except for the species of trees.One thing about the clearcuts is they offer plenty of browse for moose once the willows start to grow back here in B.C. One hunting trip we made few years ago we came across a clear cut that seemed never ending,it looked like moon scape as far as you could see.
Thanks for the pictures Jerry
Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence, the old camp has not been used in 3 years, boat access only and about 5 miles from the nearest habitation. Got my summers work cut out for me getting it back in shape this year. I love that hardwood hill,it has changed little in the 50 years I have been around it, never a stick of wood cut down on it. We have the big clearcuts up here also, total devistation for miles and miles, trees don`t grow back here very well after clearcutting.45-50 years later it is only brush.
Pioneerguy600

Back