used saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks alot guys. Freakingstang I'm in Delaware, you must be near mansfield.
I may just have to take you up on the offer. I will pm you if i ever figure out how to. 38mph winds last night, I am almost afraid to go home and see what happened to the trees. Well at least there are plenty of trees down to test saws on! Guess i'll use my current saw till i get a biggen.

Fireplace insert will be here in 3 days. Problem is all my seasoned wood is 20-25" long. Anyone ever tried to shave 5" off every log in your stack??????

On another note is there any use for 30-45" pines that have been down a few months? I got a friend with a quite a mess.

I'm even closer to you than the Freak, Mt Vernon, but dont have as many choices to look at. Do have a 660 Stihl and a 757 Shindi and access to some wood to try them on.

I stihl don't see how an 800 dollar saw is cheaper than a 3-500 dollar used running saw with new b/c. lol.

Well I spose if the used saw in this fantasy is near new and it can be bought cheap and doesnt need a top down overhaul the key word is IF and we both said it then yes its a deal! :)

(well guess I said UNLESS :) same thing my bad :) )

Last edited:
OH MY!!!!!!!
This shall be interesting!!!!!

Sir, you'd be a fool not to take Freak up on his very generous offer!!!! And rest assured, he has many more offerings than a lot of members of this site have to play with!!!!

Kansas, man, we need to talk!!! Where abouts are you? I'm just outside of Wichita. Let me know when you want to run a "beater saw" that was bought for cheap. I have just the thing for you to run!!!!!
Then I'll let you run my modded 350, you can probably handle it after you crap you're pants running the big one!!

Check the trading post kids, there are a lot of deals to be had, and a lot of these members know more than you might think:monkey:

Hey SawRedneck, do you know who runs that big hedge post-hedge firewood operation by Moundridge right beside I-135? I been runnin to Wichita every day this week, and noticed it Monday. I didnt think it was you, but a man never knows...

Moundridge is a lot North for me!!!! No idea!!!

No, I am straight South of Andover, if that helps, and I haven't had time to deal with my firewood buisness much at all this year! Been WAY to busy with my real job!!
I'd say give me a holler and we could hook up, but I know that's not a reality for a couple of weeks! I've been going in at 7am and getting off between 5:30 and 9pm.

Ya, I wouldnt have time right now either, my little man is at Wesley Med with pneumonia and rsv. Only reason I drive back and forth is the daughter needs dad at home after day care and I go down to spell my wife. Im runnin out of vacation quick! He gettin better, they will probably release him tomorrow in the middle of the snowstorm we supposed to get. But I'll take it, this house is too quiet, never thought I would say THAT!

Anyway, sorry to be the dork that derailed another thread...lol:buttkick:

Not a dork, very sorry to hear that!!! Wish I would have known, would have a made it a point to at least visited!!!

I know the empty house!!! Wife flew out Monday am, Bubba has been at the parents, and just now got everybody home!!!!

Hope all goes well, let me know if you need a place to crash, or just be for a bit!!! PM me if you want my numbers, it aint nothing but a thing!

gonna get flack for this but....

pne of the cheapest, and may iu stress best old saws was my 041. most people cant wait to coment on this saw but hey, it vibrates like hell, it is heavy, (see very heavy), but pulls a 24 inch bar with authority and for the usual 100 or so used price, buy it, beat it into the ground and buy another if need be.
hey this is just me, but i have taken down some monstrous trees with a little 041.
make your own choice, i dont see buying a new saw for dragging out once or twice a year.
badcars2
:givebeer: :chainsaw:

Just finished building 3 saws 036 440 066. New pistons & cylinders dual port mufflers. They are real nice saws but if I had to do it again would have reserected a 084 & never looked back. May just sell the 036 if I ever run across a clean basket case 84.

pne of the cheapest, and may iu stress best old saws was my 041. most people cant wait to coment on this saw but hey, it vibrates like hell, it is heavy, (see very heavy), but pulls a 24 inch bar with authority and for the usual 100 or so used price, buy it, beat it into the ground and buy another if need be.
hey this is just me, but i have taken down some monstrous trees with a little 041.
make your own choice, i dont see buying a new saw for dragging out once or twice a year.
badcars2
:givebeer: :chainsaw:

What he said - #1 :clap:

Keep the sugestions coming! Thanks to everyone, I will keep you posted on what i get. Supposed to get up to 50 here next wk and I am honestly disappointed I won't get to test the full effects of my insert.

Czeigler-wh.pines? 30-40" Diameter x 20-35' Long, down 6 mos.? +more soon.
Bowtie- I wish your son well. I just went through the same with my 7 mo old in Nov. His butt is still dragging but much better. I am sure yours will get better too.

Butch n Freak I may be in touch, you guys are awful generous thanx!

I fear i may need to build some saw shelves in the garage. It looks like once you start buying saws you'all can't stop

Well gotta go burn up some ash borrers.

OH MY!!!!!!!
This shall be interesting!!!!!

Kansas, man, we need to talk!!! Where abouts are you?

South of Great Bend. Thanks for the offer but no thanks but if you happened to stop by with one I would be happy to look at it and try it out and I highly doubt it will make me "crap" come on, I fix cars for a living have done so for over 30 years I have built plenty of high performance engines of all types mechanical things dont make anybody "crap" lol!!!

Impressing me isnt a big deal sawinredneck really I wasnt challenging anyone to a used saw buying contest just giving my opinion like I was asked to do, take it or leave it, and I dont see how that even got started lol!!

It always cracks me up how people get so riled up about things so they can brag on themselfs.

You guys that love used saws and fixing them up how about finding the original poster a good used saw since they are so plentifull that is constructive use of time??? JMO.

I recently went out to drop a few dead and dying trees. I took 4 saws with me, from 36cc to 70cc. These were trees that were in the 18" -20" range or so.

The saws that I primarily used were in the 49cc - 60cc range. The 36cc saw was used for limbing, as was the 49cc saw occasionally. The 60cc saw was used to drop the trees, then switched to the 49cc saw to buck it into pieces on the ground. When one would run out of gas I would pick up the other and keep on going. The 60cc saw threw its chain halfway through the job, so I ended up using the 49cc saw the remainder of the job, as the chain on the 60cc was buggered up and needed the drive links filed, and I didn't feel like wasting the time putting on a new chain, as the 49cc was doing just fine.

The 70cc saw stayed in the truck the entire time, ready to go, but was never needed.

By the way, the 49cc saw is my favorite. It wears a 20" bar and .325 chain.

Last edited:
South of Great Bend. Thanks for the offer but no thanks but if you happened to stop by with one I would be happy to look at it and try it out and I highly doubt it will make me "crap" come on, I fix cars for a living have done so for over 30 years I have built plenty of high performance engines of all types mechanical things dont make anybody "crap" lol!!!

Impressing me isnt a big deal sawinredneck really I wasnt challenging anyone to a used saw buying contest just giving my opinion like I was asked to do, take it or leave it, and I dont see how that even got started lol!!

It always cracks me up how people get so riled up about things so they can brag on themselfs.

You guys that love used saws and fixing them up how about finding the original poster a good used saw since they are so plentifull that is constructive use of time??? JMO.

As far as cost effective? Yes, considering the price of new saws and the reasonable ease at which one can be rebuilt!
Woods porting? DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDEEEE!!!!! You gotta run one!!!
I wasn't starting a peeing contest, it's the irony, Freak built my 046BB. You ever get bored go to off topic and look up "the freakingstang support group" thread. That is the saw he built for me. I told him what I wanted, and wanted to do, he delivered EXACTLY what I had hoped for!!! It ain't pretty and shiny, you wouldn't even guess anything odd about it. Until you start it up! You'd be amazed how many farmers around here don't have anything big enough to tackle fence row fallen Hedge trees! Most of the time the 25" will work just fine. The step back and have a startled look when you start it, you cut the tree up and shut it off, they still have that glassy eyed look and stammer something like "That thing ain't stock, is it boy?" I just grin an load up my gear:)

They don't have to be purty to work right!!!:cheers:

As far as cost effective? Yes, considering the price of new saws and the reasonable ease at which one can be rebuilt!
Woods porting? DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDEEEE!!!!! You gotta run one!!!
I wasn't starting a peeing contest, it's the irony, Freak built my 046BB. You ever get bored go to off topic and look up "the freakingstang support group" thread. That is the saw he built for me. I told him what I wanted, and wanted to do, he delivered EXACTLY what I had hoped for!!! It ain't pretty and shiny, you wouldn't even guess anything odd about it. Until you start it up! You'd be amazed how many farmers around here don't have anything big enough to tackle fence row fallen Hedge trees! Most of the time the 25" will work just fine. The step back and have a startled look when you start it, you cut the tree up and shut it off, they still have that glassy eyed look and stammer something like "That thing ain't stock, is it boy?" I just grin an load up my gear:)

They don't have to be purty to work right!!!:cheers:

Ok sawinredneck since you put it that way yes lets get together sometime and have a beer and talk saws and maybe you can show me some bad azz saws of yours I know all about hedge wood! :) not purty I like that!

Heres the thing man and what I base my thoughts (its JMO mind you) on as far as used saws go and I never said used saws are not any good they just usually need worked on!

I have had many of them believe me right up the second I got tired of working on them and bought a brand new 372 my sawing days changed from drugery to pure FUN! LOL

Since a new saw will pay for itself so many times over before doing anything to it IMO my spare time is so valuable to me it isnt worth messing with a "work saw" LOL!

I buy tools to work WITH not ON :) I make living working on things all week long the last chore I want to do in my spare time (whats that?) is work on some damn saw!!!

But hey I can admire the guys that do and anybody that has the knowledge to fix up small engines and buy ones that are still viable etc it is a great hobby for a lot of folks and a living for others nothing wrong with doing it at all it just isnt my thing anymore thats why I posted what I did!
cheers!

Back