used saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeiss

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am installing an insert this week. So I will be cutting more firewood in the future. I will probably cut 6-12 cords (even recutting old wood :( grrr..) along with dad and brother in law along with the occasional downed tree around home. We all have 20" stihl/husq 55cc saws and I seem to have the need for a bigger one about 20% of the time.

Since this may not be(i guess it could) my primary saw, I don't really feel like paying $700-900 for a new 70-85 cc saw to use 8 times per year. I am looking for a good used saw to fit this application. I am not opposed to Dolmar Makita jonsered whatever but below are the ones that I see most. Sorry if this has been covered, I am new.
Husqvarna
372,575,385xp
Stihl
ms 440,460,650
Any suggestions would be greatly apprediated!

Last edited:
welcome

Assuming you are still a young man.. Buy yourself a good new saw.372 husky or a 7900 dolmar would be my suggestions.

That is about the amount that I cut per year.

I bought a Stihl MS290 and love it.

Paid $349 new + tax of course.

I am in a similar situation where I am looking for something bigger than my Husky 455 Rancher.

While consideration was given to buying a used saw, I know that all of the used saws that I had noticed are always advertised as "lots of power," "low hours," or "just like new." Some of the models haven't been made for 20 or more years! (not to mention that I would have no idea as to how any of those saws have been treated/maintained)

I figure that I am willing to pay the extra $$ for the peace of mind that comes with owning a new saw.

HTH

6-12 cords is a decent amount of wood. If you are hoping to cut a few cords on a Saturday, then a 70cc saw would be in order.

I have cut a lot of wood with a 50cc saw and wish I would have jumped into the 70cc arena long ago.

What about renting a saw for a day to see if you like it? Then try another? Might give you an idea of what to expect.

I think ericjeeper is right on with a new saw. Especially if you are hoping to have it for many years.

Welcome to the site!!

I am installing an insert this week. So I will be cutting more firewood in the future. I will probably cut 6-12 cords (even recutting old wood :( grrr..) along with dad and brother in law along with the occasional downed tree around home. We all have 20" stihl/husq 55cc saws and I seem to have the need for a bigger one about 20% of the time.

Since this may not be(i guess it could) my primary saw, I don't really feel like paying $700-900 for a new 70-85 cc saw to use 8 times per year. I am looking for a good used saw to fit this application. I am not opposed to Dolmar Makita jonsered whatever but below are the ones that I see most. Sorry if this has been covered, I am new.
Husqvarna
372,575,385xp
Stihl
ms 440,460,650

I bought my 372 off of ebay(okay, so it was a risk, but hey, what's life if you arent going to take some risk) and paid 300 bucks for it. It has run great for the past two years, and I have no complaint. Take a peek on ebay, you might find what you are looking for.
If you have a saw shop nearby that you trust, ask them. They often have used saws that they take in on trade, or repaired ones that never get picked up and they will often sell them for what they got into it on the repairs. I got a great Husky385 that way, and made the mistake of selling it to my neighbor. I wished that I had kept that saw! I paid 175 bucks for it, and it is still sawing!

When I first came on this site one of the posters said that he saw no reason to own a 60CC saw. Being as I am the proud owner of 4 of them that raised my hackles. Now that I own 15 saws I find that I take a 45-50CC saw for the tops and as they poop out when the trunks get larger I go right for a 70-90 saw. My 60s are sitting neglected most of the time. As suggested go for a 372 Husk, 7900 Dolamr, 441-460 STihl and you will be looking for large trees to buzz up. But be forewarned that you will then be looking for a nice 40-50 CC saw to cut the tops, LOL.

I bought a Stihl 056 off my old boss. $250 24" bar. Great runner. So look around ask people who have lots of saws they may want sell off an older but still great running saw.

the ONLY used saw I would ever consider buying is from a top brand and only the best models.

it's not that difficult to find out which models are most popular. hence more durable, best resale value, available support, etc. if you find one with low hours and have it checked out. it's hard to go wrong.

most will recommend a two saw combo of say.. 026/046 and skip 60cc class saws (mid range) all together.

it's basically Stihl or Husky.

some older models...assuming your are not buying new. there's way more of course, but here a few...

limbing saws...stihl 026/ms260 or husky 346

mid range... 036/360 or Husky 359

medium saw ... 046/460/044 or husky 372/365

large saw... 066/064/660 or Husky 385/395

Husqvarna
372,575,385xp
Stihl
ms 440,460,650

Last edited:
Where in Ohio are you?

I have just about all the common brands in the 70-90cc range that I can let you run if you want.

I won't be home for another week, but if you have some wood and are not too far from me, you are more than welcome.

I am about an hour south of cleveland

-Steve

If you have a dealer around you, check out a Dolmar 7900, it's a real pleasure to use, plenty of power, light in the hands, and the anti-vibe is real easy on the joints.

There's always a used 6401 rental saw at Home Depot that you can check out, around $200, and it can be upgraded to a 7900 with a new piston/cylinder kit, if you are handy.

There are plenty of reputable folks on the site here, that sell used/refurbished saws from time to time too.

Good luck in your search.:)

There's always a used 6401 rental saw at Home Depot that you can check out, around $200, and it can be upgraded to a 7900 with a new piston/cylinder kit, if you are handy.

I have to second that. Most likely it will come with a 20" bar and safety loop. Replace that with a laminated 24" bar and some full chisel. I find I use it 10-15% of the time with most of my cutting done with a Stihl 026/16". The HD saws are pretty well maintained, but I would ask about firing it up and maybe pulling the muffler to check for any piston scoring.

Five years ago I paid $240 for my 6401 from a rental outfit, and converted the mount to accept Stihl bars. I've been very impressed with how its held up and how smooth it runs.

Other thread

See this thread in the chainsaw forum:

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=60720

I've bought a couple used Stihl 440s and I would consider a new Makita 6401 (for the price it can be found) before I would take my chances with another used saw. (Of my used saws I consider one to have been a great bargain and the other not so much.) That Makita should be enough a step up for you and your fellow cutters to satisfy you.

MarkG

FWIW my 2 cents- Bars and sprockets and carb overhauls etc, all that costs money and parts are sometimes difficult to find, unlesss you actually find a low hours name brand saw a used saw can get costly.

I would recommend a new saw and be done with it. A new Husky or Stihl will easily pay for itself in the amount of wood you preposed to cut at the prices they get for wood around here and you wont have to work on it. jmo HTH :)

A MS290 or MS361 would do just fine if all you are doing is cutting firewood. If it is a group saw then everyone should be pitching in on a 440 or 460.

FWIW my 2 cents- Bars and sprockets and carb overhauls etc, all that costs money and parts are sometimes difficult to find, unlesss you actually find a low hours name brand saw a used saw can get costly.

I would recommend a new saw and be done with it. A new Husky or Stihl will easily pay for itself in the amount of wood you preposed to cut at the prices they get for wood around here and you wont have to work on it. jmo HTH :)

Yes and no. A good condition used saw is a better value imo. Carb kits are about 10 bucks for most models. p/c's aren't cheap, but if you know what you are looking for that shouldn't be an issue.

if you are looking used, make sure it is a running used saw, not a "doesn't run project". If you are afraid to tear the carb apart, or just don't care to learn how to rebuild one, then buying new is probably your better bet for now.....well, until it sits around for a couple years and needs a carb kit and cleaning thrown at it. lol

I stihl don't see how an 800 dollar saw is cheaper than a 3-500 dollar used running saw with new b/c. lol.

Last edited:
I never said they were cheaper.

When I go out to cut wood. I am out to cut wood. Not out to work on some beater saw I bought because I saved a couple of bucks.

mikeiss, you should take up freakingstang on his most generous offer to let you try it, before you buy it.

nothing beats a hands on trial with someone experienced to help you!!!

Where in Ohio are you?

I have just about all the common brands in the 70-90cc range that I can let you run if you want.

I won't be home for another week, but if you have some wood and are not too far from me, you are more than welcome.

I am about an hour south of cleveland

-Steve

Thanks alot guys. Freakingstang I'm in Delaware, you must be near mansfield.
I may just have to take you up on the offer. I will pm you if i ever figure out how to. 38mph winds last night, I am almost afraid to go home and see what happened to the trees. Well at least there are plenty of trees down to test saws on! Guess i'll use my current saw till i get a biggen.

Fireplace insert will be here in 3 days. Problem is all my seasoned wood is 20-25" long. Anyone ever tried to shave 5" off every log in your stack??????

On another note is there any use for 30-45" pines that have been down a few months? I got a friend with a quite a mess.

Latest posts

Back