Vacation Ramblings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looks like I need some new chains. All of my chains are chisel chains. This is definitely semi-chisel chain work here. I found out some of these logs were laid in the bottom of the creek and used to crawl on by the track hoe. They're full of sand:( It's also a good thing I brought something bigger than a 50cc saw. My BIL thought everything was 16" and smaller. It turns out that there's some 24" wood in there. So, I'll get to put some time on the 372 and 390.

IMG9110-M.jpg

IMG9111-M.jpg

IMG9109-M.jpg

IMG9112-M.jpg

This is where it all came from, when the reworked the culvert and creek.
IMG9113-M.jpg

IMG9114-M.jpg

Carlton semi chisel if you can find any. I've cut lots of ugly stuff like that and I find it's the best dirty wood chain. It's hard like Stihl chain, and has a very rounded cutter.

Brad, isn't it a little hot to be cutting wood? :biggrin:
AT least you have some wood to cut, i miss it and am ready for fall.
trevor

sounds crazy I know,but can you get a pressure washer to it?You can never get it all off,but every bit helps.Used to drag firewood logs through a silty sandy creek bottom,then through a gravel driveway.The pressure washer really helps

I'll see what I can find in the morning. If not, I'm probably in for a lot of filing this week.

Buy whatever semi you can find. Even if it's home depot safety chain. Full chisel will be dull before you get through one bucking cut on a dirty log.

Brad, isn't it a little hot to be cutting wood? :biggrin:
AT least you have some wood to cut, i miss it and am ready for fall.
trevor

Yes it is!!! But, I enjoy it, and can't always do it. The biggest thing was to put a few tanks through the 550XP and see what it's all about. Last year while I was down here, I landed several nice finds, including a 2101XP, 372XP, amongst others. The year before that it was a MS460. I'll be visiting those places again this week.

Yes it is!!! But, I enjoy it, and can't always do it. The biggest thing was to put a few tanks through the 550XP and see what it's all about. Last year while I was down here, I landed several nice finds, including a 2101XP, 372XP, amongst others. The year before that it was a MS460. I'll be visiting those places again this week.

Wish i could buy that many saw's, but the wife would skin me.
BTW, i have some too cut here, but it's not the heat that bothers me. Its getting into a bees nest.(ouch)

Dang thats some dirty looking wood! Definetly need to semi chiz for that stuff. Semi can take some abuse though. Especially the Stihl semi. I've never tried the chain ZC was talking about but it sounds as he's had good results with it. ZC does the same type of cutting I do so I'm sure he cuts his share of dirty wood.

I remember the saws you found last year on vacation. Hard to believe another year as came around so fast. Have fun man.

Carbide. 3948/-- D.E.P. have been using it to clear beach debris. It's tailor made for that stuff.
A little slow cutting. This is not the chain on the rescue saw.

Back