Vacation Ramblings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just use an axe for dirty wood and do a little plung cut, so that the chain is pulling the "dirt" out of the wood. I feel it stays a little longer sharp this way. I know it isn't elegant but it kind of works for me.

blsnelling
I never dreamed that semi-chisel chain would be so hard to find down here. The closest Stihl RM chain I found is 50-60 miles away. I did find a loop of really old Poulan semi-chisel chain at the dealer I bought the old saws from last year. He would only sell me the whole roll. For $60 I made 3 93DL loops and 1 114DL loop. Not a steal, but much cheaper than buying loops at the Steal dealer. I've yet to get any .325 yet though.

The only saw I found was a complete but locked up 288XP Lite. He wanted $200 for it. They only bring $350-$400 running. I'd either end up upside down, or doing the labor for free. I passed.

Zombiechopper

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I never dreamed that semi-chisel chain would be so hard to find down here. The closest Stihl RM chain I found is 50-60 miles away. I did find a loop of really old Poulan semi-chisel chain at the dealer I bought the old saws from last year. He would only sell me the whole roll. For $60 I made 3 93DL loops and 1 114DL loop. Not a steal, but much cheaper than buying loops at the Steal dealer. I've yet to get any .325 yet though.

The only saw I found was a complete but locked up 288XP Lite. He wanted $200 for it. They only bring $350-$400 running. I'd either end up upside down, or doing the labor for free. I passed.

you did well buying the chain. ~16c/driver. Hopefully it's good hard steel.

Zombiechopper

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dang thats some dirty looking wood! Definetly need to semi chiz for that stuff. Semi can take some abuse though. Especially the Stihl semi. I've never tried the chain ZC was talking about but it sounds as he's had good results with it. ZC does the same type of cutting I do so I'm sure he cuts his share of dirty wood.

I remember the saws you found last year on vacation. Hard to believe another year as came around so fast. Have fun man.

I like the Carlton better than Stihl semi only because it's so much cheaper. It has a nice hard heat treat on it like Stihl chain. I knock the rakers way down on it and put it on a 16" bar on my 460 with a 7 pin. For really dirty stuff, make it peel big chunks of wood and it spends less time being abraded in the cut. I live on the prairies, so dirty wood means encrusted with dirt from the wind. I mostly cut shelterbelt/fenceline and there can be 4 feet of blow dirt built up into a ridge along a 100 year old fenceline. The dirt gets impacted into the trees even if they have never been skidded in it. I often see sparks from the bark in broad daylight when starting a cut.

jockeydeuce

jockeydeuce

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
If you ask around some, you might even be able to find some .404 chipper. That'd be the deal in such mega-nasty wood.

I have a part roll of .404 chipper chain and was thinking that I would never use "that stuff", but I have been using it to cut up a bunch of birch stumps that I have, that are loaded with beautiful burl.

That stuff is the answer!!!.....I cut as much dirt as wood almost yesterday and the stuff kept on cutting!:clap:

Jacob J.
I have a part roll of .404 chipper chain and was thinking that I would never use "that stuff", but I have been using it to cut up a bunch of birch stumps that I have, that are loaded with beautiful burl.

That stuff is the answer!!!.....I cut as much dirt as wood almost yesterday and the stuff kept on cutting!:clap:

Yeah, them old-timers knew what they were doing...

Yes it is!!! But, I enjoy it, and can't always do it. The biggest thing was to put a few tanks through the 550XP and see what it's all about. Last year while I was down here, I landed several nice finds, including a 2101XP, 372XP, amongst others. The year before that it was a MS460. I'll be visiting those places again this week.

Tried to check the status on the 550XP in your other thread but it looks to have dropped off the planet! Obviously you found one!

gcdible1

gcdible1

ArboristSite Operative
Good luck Brad. I have found some chains on ebay lately that were from rental fleets and supposedly used once and sold. Got em for 7.33 each for 84dl loops of stihl rsc. Shipping was high at 16 bucks. You may have some luck looking there and using your filing and grinding skills.

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Those are hamburgers on top for supper last night, and two pork loins on the bottom that we had for dinner today.
IMG9075-M.jpg

Forget the saws. Forget the chains. I'm starvin'! Ron

blsnelling
Wow, is this stuff bad. It's even worse than I thought. One tank of fuel and you have to file. The heat is brutal, and that was waiting until later in the evening. After only a couple hours, I was so winded I couldn't continue. It sucks being a wimpy desk jockey, lol.

Rudolf73

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow, is this stuff bad. It's even worse than I thought. One tank of fuel and you have to file. The heat is brutal, and that was waiting until later in the evening. After only a couple hours, I was so winded I couldn't continue. It sucks being a wimpy desk jockey, lol.

Yeah, being a keyboard jockey is no fun... once you get the saws out lol

If you are going one file per tank with semi chisel you are still going alright. Two sharpens per cut is when it gets real bad.

But at least you are on vacation! :msp_thumbup:

Stihlman441

Stihlman441

Addicted to ArboristSite

That all sounds like a average Ozzy wood cutting day.:hmm3grin2orange:

blsnelling
Just for the record, I have no idea who stickied this thread.

On the way to the beach this afternoon, we stopped at Pensacola Hardware. Pretty cool store. They even had a new 385XP. It had a 2004 SN tag! Same thing with a 357XP. I did buy a stump vise and a couple files.

2012-07-2414-21-50970-M.jpg

2012-07-2414-38-45613-M.jpg

2012-07-2414-26-36219-M.jpg

Latest posts