Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what qualifies as a "vintage saw"?
Would something like these American made 009L and CS-346 fit into that category?
View attachment 698810
View attachment 698812
Or does it have to be really old and considered a pro saw by some and be all metal with most of the paint missing?
Does a primer bulb eliminate it from consideration?
It can't be electronic ignition. Only points ignitions, qualify. LOL

First one is almost vintage, 2nd one is vintage, 3rd is new model plastic Poulan bow saw. Now you know the difference.
a7305c5055f479525dbb202add5b1a41.jpg
2c71d3c76b36e17651953549f3d5c8e9.jpg
6d09773e07b783a258a595e52a14d96d.jpg

Steve

The fuel line is a mess in the carb box the way it wraps around the carb on those 009 Stihls and holding it at the back handle with a 16" bar on one isn't very balanced, but still a cool little saw

[emoji28], just joking with ya. Green Poulan from the 70's, that Stihl is newer model, definitely not vintage. Your craftsman is vintage though. 80's not really vintage, me, I'm mid 60's vintage, 53 vintage.

Steve
My 3400 has the black top. And doesn't say countervibe. So I guess a mid-80's.

I was thinking of moving the Craftsman. But it may not hardly be worth it. Seems on here, anybody that wants one gets them for free! At least the Poulan version.

I guess I'm more a fan of a more modern vintage. Used might be the correct term, but lightly.

The fuel line is a mess in the carb box the way it wraps around the carb on those 009 Stihls and holding it at the back handle with a 16" bar on one isn't very balanced, but still a cool little saw
Yeah, I like that little saw. Mine came with both a 16 and a 14. The 14 is getting pretty thin. The 16 is still pretty new, but I'll probably buy a new 14" rollomatic for it eventually.

Folks just under estimates a Poulan for some reason, I guess cause the plastic models aren't setup correct and people just dog them as being a cheap saw. I got a 06 year model wild thing and after a few mods and changes, I love mine, though it is heavier than my echo cs400, it does what I need it to do and I have no complaints. Your 3400 should be from the mid 70's to very early 80. After that complete new design came out.

Steve

I had a Wild Thing back in the 90's I think, or sometime right after they came out.
It was a decent saw. But I think I remember it leaking oil. And I just don't want to keep a saw that leaks oil.

Never figured out why they make those saws so heavy, not much metal to them compared to the older saws. Like I said, my echo is much lighter and easy to move around because of that. Haven't picked up the new style Poulan the see how light they are. I wondered how long it was gonna take the to go to this new style. The Macs in European countries had this new style a few years ago. Black and yellow color scheme.

Steve

Yeah, I was thinkin about getting a Ryobi 3714 because they seem extremely lightweight for a 37-38cc saw. But then I found the 346 and I like it better.
Even though the 346 may not be in the same league powerwise, I feel that it's closer to crossing the boundaries between conventional and vintage. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back