Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have a lot to learn about sound that's for sure! Is there like a date that I need to know that signifies the decline of the good Poulans, McCullochs, and Homelites? Also this is probably a question that needs an answer by itself. The old saws have an Idle, Lean in, and Lean out screws (I may have gotten the names wrong) on the carburetor. What exactly do each of those screws do? I watched a video of someone repairing an old Homelight saw that the piston had seized up because the furs was running it too lean.

Another thing you'll learn is that Arborist site members are very picky about their saws and I guess that includes me. As was said, a certain Poulan saw will outcut another one but that doesn't mean that one saw is not a good saw to have. Every saw I have can be outcut by something, doesn't mean I'd get rid of them. I even have had some of the Poulan plastic saws and they were fun to mess with. I have a couple of the Homelite plastic ones and use them occasionally to trim..

Well I have a lot to learn about sound that's for sure! Is there like a date that I need to know that signifies the decline of the good Poulans, McCullochs, and Homelites? Also this is probably a question that needs an answer by itself. The old saws have an Idle, Lean in, and Lean out screws (I may have gotten the names wrong) on the carburetor. What exactly do each of those screws do? I watched a video of someone repairing an old Homelight saw that the piston had seized up because the furs was running it too lean.
The "L" screw is for low speed and idle mixture, the "H" screw is for high speed mixture and the other one is for idle speed. Even though some saws will run faster with the screws turned in don't do it! Especially the "H" screw, leave it turned out the specified amount or the engine will burn a piston. Pistons and cylinders on vintage saws sometimes can be hard to find and not cheap..

Another thing you'll learn is that Arborist site members are very picky about their saws and I guess that includes me. As was said, a certain Poulan saw will outcut another one but that doesn't mean that one saw is not a good saw to have. Every saw I have can be outcut by something, doesn't mean I'd get rid of them. I even have had some of the Poulan plastic saws and they were fun to mess with. I have a couple of the Homelite plastic ones and use them occasionally to trim..
Like @a. palmer jr. said........... collect all the saws!!!!! :chainsaw:

There are a couple of saws that I don't mess with mainly because they're irritating to work on and parts are hard to find or expensive, no aftermarket. I've been messing with a Redmax saw for awhile and doubt I'd buy another for those reasons, there's just not enough parts out there and I have a dealer within two miles of me! Another is a plastic McCulloch, I think it was around 50cc, made by a lawnmower company whose name I can't remember. I had one with a bad oiler and couldn't find one because the company quite making saws and discontinued their spare parts also.

Im partial to poulan but i collect all brands, as a collector its more about the quality of old machines, machines that look ragged or tossed aside, its an awesome feeling taking an old saw or anything for that matter that no one wants thats destined for china on a scrap barge, and make it run and serve its purpose again. Its an awesome feeling. Hard to describe im sure other know what i mean. Hell i bought a Allis Chalmers bulldozer so it wouldnt get scrapped course it help it had Detroit diesel power

So I go to fuel the saw up today and l notice something sticking up in the fuel tank and it's the open end of a fuel line...so now I need a new fuel line lol.

There is an old junk yard near me that used to have a huge pile of saws from the 1940s and 1950s. They had been there for years, but being in the weather all those years ruined them. I tried to get parts off the best ones. Just about all of them had been a victim of white death. They have since been hauled off but there were some cool looking ones. Even the carburetors and recoil starters weren't salvageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an old junk yard near me that used to have a huge pile of saws from the 1940s and 1950s. They had been there for years, but being in the weather all those years ruined them. I tried to get parts off the best ones. Just about all of them had been a victim of white death. They have since been hauled off but there were some cool looking ones. Even the carburetors and recoil starters weren't salvageable.

Wow, what a shame. All that history just left to ruin. What if you don't mind me asking is "white death"?

It is a shame. There was even a part of a chainsaw that said Mitchell saw company. All that was left of it was the wrap handle with the name and a terribly corroded cylinder. White death is a terrible mess of white magnesium corrosion that locks things up.

Latest posts

Back