Vintage Lancaster Chainsaw (Five-60HL??)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happysaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I acquired an old Lancaster Chainsaw, it is what I believe to be a Five-60HL. It has the 500 series West Bend engine, it runs and cuts good.

So, the air filter(s) are little cylindrical wood-like things. They are on the front of the saw, right where all the sawdust accumulates. The saw runs WAY better without them, but of course, I cannot cut without air filtration. The filters appear to be the same material as the air filter on a Mac 15.

Is there some way to clean these filters without ruining them? I have tried brake-cleaner and compressed air, but the saw still runs very sluggish with these filters installed. If there is no way to clean them, is there a replacement for them, or a way to rig up a better air filter?

Here's a few pics.
a5f0b6b6984c14fad36cc548518b728b.jpg
fe0ba094aaaf8081f1eb6f9697ef0cc1.jpg

7d53ea2dae1411ecfd0de1232d6824fa.jpg
e813ee5f82dc522e4a2012bb64343785.jpg

Thanks for any input!

I have a few saws with air filters like that, I believe they were originally a porous cork type and over time they squished down and closed off the pores.

I intend to use a chunk of exhaust pipe same size and length of filter, mill a bunch of slots in it then cover it with green lawn and garden filter foam

Those are cork air filters: they were pretty common of old French cars, such as the Citroen 2CV. Generally speaking they were disposable units, only maintenance possible was blowing them with compressed air, and when cork started becoming expensive in the 70's they were replaced with synthetic sponge ones.
Your best call would be to replace them with synthetic sponge ones the same size, like most 2CV owners have done. Cork filters are still available, but supply is erratic at best and you may have serious issues finding a size that fits.

Your best call would be to replace them with synthetic sponge ones the same size, like most 2CV owners have done. Cork filters are still available, but supply is erratic at best and you may have serious issues finding a size that fits.

So where does one get sponge air filter material?

Latest posts

Back