Want a bigger firewood saw - 4 choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw do you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just one note of caution about the 441CM: service accessibility sucks, big time. Friend bought one, had some metallic debris back in toward the chamber from the muffler and get caught between piston crown & exh port edge. A few days beyond the 3-month warranty. Dealer would not press his case for claim, AND said something like "It'd cost too much to fix it." Right, buy another.

I got sucked into p&c r&r. Big mistake- Rube Goldberg would be impressed with the intake tract plumbing. :crazy2:

Seems Stihl is not heavy on accessibility; I'd be certain, were I ever to consider one, that the dealer could handle any service, affordably. Given that, no-brainer for me to go for Dolmar or Husqy. Not to mention the warranty coverage, FWIW.

Ugh I don't like the sound of that. I like the simplicity of my older saws.

7910 got my vote. $150 cheaper than a 441 and$250 cheaper than a 461. Same size as the the 461. Very easy to work on and parts are easily accessible and affordable. There are several places to buy parts online if you local shop has issues later on. Can you say that about a Stihl

More parts are available for the 372 than any of the other choices. You also have choices, aftermarket OEM and used parts, and all of these at prices less than dolmar or stihl. As far as dealer support, 372's have a reputation of long runnin' reliability, as well as being easy to work on your self. Price for used 372 is less than the others as well.

Getting a bigger saw is always a good thing especially the 461 if you have that luxury.
But I suggest you look into the reason why your 361 is struggling with a 24" bar.
I have a 261 and it pulls a 24" bar just fine.
I section off 36" maple, ash, fir, and oak with this setup.
These bigger stuff are reserved for my 461 but I have done it with my 261 just to see how much balls it has.
For me the key to good cutting and easy on the saw are sharp chains.
I have about a dozen chains of each length and keep them all sharp.
I replace my chain right away when ever I see a chip on any tooth.

Oh yeah did I mention I like the 372?
The stihl is overpriced in comparison.
I've been lookin' for a dolmar like that, but have yet to find a deal on one. Parts of any sort are hard to come by.
Look on flea bay at the 575 and 576 saws and ever noticed how many blown up saws of those models there are? Remember that the strato saw cylinders are much more spendy/hard to find than a 372 jug.

I have a 261 and it pulls a 24" bar just fine.
For me the key to good cutting and easy on the saw are sharp chains.
I have also used a 24 inch bar on an o26... no complaints.
It weren't no powerhouse, you couldn't lean on the saw... but if the chain is sharp there ain't no need to lean on any saw.

Ok. So I went to my local Stihl dealer, and handled the MS-461. It looked and felt nice. Then I talked to the salesman for a bit and he mentioned that he just sold a used 066 a few days ago that would be perfect for my use. After a bit more conversation, I asked if he had any other nice used saws. He said that he did have this one nice Jonsered in the back that a logger had just traded in on a pair of 390xp's. (Side note, apparently they also sell Husquvarna, by special order only. Odd.)

Anyway, we went back to the shop, and there sat a 2012 Jonsered 2188 with a 24" bar. $475 if I took it today.

It wasn't on my list, but it's mine now! Time to go cut a load of wood!

Ok. So I went to my local Stihl dealer, and handled the MS-461. It looked and felt nice. Then I talked to the salesman for a bit and he mentioned that he just sold a used 066 a few days ago that would be perfect for my use. After a bit more conversation, I asked if he had any other nice used saws. He said that he did have this one nice Jonsered in the back that a logger had just traded in on a pair of 390xp's. (Side note, apparently they also sell Husquvarna, by special order only. Odd.)

Anyway, we went back to the shop, and there sat a 2012 Jonsered 2188 with a 24" bar. $475 if I took it today.

Great price!

Heck ya! Ya'all have fun with that nice saw! Jred says good for up to a 28, I would think it might could run an even longer bar with a sharp chain.

Uh Oh...you saved enough cash over a new saw to get that one ported........ ;)

Sounds like you did good.

Sweet saw, looks like you were in the right place at the right time!! Looks to be in great condition too. Report back once you run it.

I'd say you did pretty darn good...I'm a Stihl guy but I've run my buddies 2166 and it's one nice machine, I'd bet the extra HP's of the 88 make it that much better.

I was about to put a write-in vote for a 281 or 288 w/28" bar. Tell the dealer to get you a loop of square chisel - it'll make you sit on both hands to keep from waving at everybody.

You also might consider a 390 piston and cylinder for the 310. A direct bolt on. with some muffler mod and the bigger P&C you will notice a big difference. The next step, if you really want more from the 310 is to have it ported. My 310 is the saw I pull out most of the time.

Hal

For now, the MS310 is probably going to be backup, for if something ever happens to the 2188, or if someone is around to help me (my wife wants to help cut, but the 3 young'ins prevent that).

Now to get my little Homie XL running, so I can be on the 3 saw plan: 26cc, 59cc, and 88 cc!

7910 got my vote. $150 cheaper than a 441 and$250 cheaper than a 461. Same size as the the 461. Very easy to work on and parts are easily accessible and affordable. There are several places to buy parts online if you local shop has issues later on. Can you say that about a Stihl

Damn you got me so excited by the price for your Dolmar full synthetic oil. Then I saw the shipping cost. Have to stick with Stihl Ultra HP I guess

Damn you got me so excited by the price for your Dolmar full synthetic oil. Then I saw the shipping cost. Have to stick with Stihl Ultra HP I guess
pm me. shipping is a pain to set and cover everything accurately. half the time my actual shipping cost is more than the website charges...the half its alot less.

Latest posts

Back