Wanted Pictures of you climbing......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
burnham,
Ive heard of that kinda work. Isnt it contract thru the government.
The gov will pay big bucks just to pic cones off the best specimens.

Bad Bob the man!

Rbtree,
How is his cancer doing?
I have to admit your pics Bob brought tears to my eyes brother. I seldom have seen such resliency, such effort, character, and flawless determination.Much less aproaching 70 with cancer!
No sir ree Bab Bob is top of the line leading the way for me!
Here he is again
GO BOB GO!

xtreme--This type of work is done both by contract and by US Forest Service employees, of which I am one. More by contract than what we call "force account", mostly due to a shrinking and aging workforce. When I was a younger man, we had a good roster of active climbers, but the numbers get smaller all the time.

It's the same with cone collections, arboreal species surveys, hazard tree pruning and removals...and before you categorize cone picking with the adjective "just", you ought to give a try at clean picking the top third of the crown of a 175 foot Douglas fir...every cone into burlap bags...working all the top and tips, maybe a third of the work above your TIP...say 3 bushels of cones that are about 3 inches long and 1 inch diameter, max. It's a 2 or 3 hour job, per tree. Knock out 3 or 4 of those in a day, and you'll know you earned every penny you made (both of them) :rolleyes:.

Big bucks :confused:?

It's some of the finest work a person could get :cool:.

Originally posted by Burnham

It's some of the finest work a person could get :cool:.

So how do you get me and Sean Gere out there to do some of that stuff?:D

I've talked to sdome of the guys on cone contracts here and in Minn. and they are nto alowed to climb. they fell the trees the are marked for harvest.:rolleyes:

Thanks alot guys........I used a lot of your pics to show the artist......I just met with him and he (and I) are excited to see how this comes out. Thanks again for all the pics!!

JPS--Climbers your size make poor cone pickers :p...remember some of our threads where climbing above your TIP has come up?

Now Sean is another matter...he could get up there and pat the leader bud on the head :D.

I bet you both would make short work of most anything, truth be told:angel:.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Burnham
JPS--Climbers your size make poor cone pickers :p...remember some of our threads where climbing above your TIP has come up?

Oh I climp above my TIP,
I just use a flip.

A flip
when over TIP
to hop
up to the top

Thought I'd throw in a photo here. And before anyone goes ballistic I took off my helmet and glasses for the photo.

hope this file isn't too big this is my first picture post

aaf_cry.gif

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12381

Rocky,

the photographer was standing on top of an embankment that was probably level with the 48kv power lines that you see about 40 ft below me. that's a small white albizia I'm taking down there by the way.

those power lines run through the forest and over the mountains to supply the windward side of the island

Awww thanks. And it was made possible by yall:angel:.

It aint real plain to see, but I also got my thumbnail trimmin Silky there too.

Carl, what is that rope on the tree in the upper left corner? It looks like you did multiple removals at this job.

Re: Bad Bob the man!

Originally posted by xtremetrees
Rbtree,
How is his cancer doing?
I have to admit your pics Bob brought tears to my eyes brother. I seldom have seen such resliency, such effort, character, and flawless determination.Much less aproaching 70 with cancer!
No sir ree Bab Bob is top of the line leading the way for me!
Here he is again
GO BOB GO!
extreme,

Bob waited a little too long to get initial treatment, so after surgery about 18 months ago, a few cancer cells were found in his bone marrow.

But, after a setback last summer, he is still going strong...thanks to his great positive attitude and huge inner strength. He switched to an almost macrobiotic diet, and is currently getting treatment. I haven't spoken to him for a month, last I heard, he was optimistic the next round of tests would bring more good news.

I dont know if it is possible to beat cancer after it has spread, but if anyone can do it, Bob would be that guy!!! This amazing man, even now, does calisthenics and runs a couple miles, often after working a full day. He has none of the back and neck problems that bother me daily.

Bob works for various companies, so I rarely use him, but he is pretty good for his age and condition. I trained him in the new climbing skills when we got reaquainted back in 95 or so, after not seeing him since 77. You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

Bob has been too busy working to settle down and continue work on his autobiography- a book the fishing community would love to read.

I've some big jobs coming up, and some of my motley crew is not always up to my high expectations, so I'm gonna call Bob again.

Pic is of a hazard cedar that we reduced to a 70 foot living habitat...

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
Carl, what is that rope on the tree in the upper left corner? It looks like you did multiple removals at this job.

It is a tag line for another trunk. It was 3 pines. I limbed them, and topped them down to size. I waited to throw the trunks until the log guy was there, so we could still clean up the limbs n such.

Latest posts

Back