Water in Logsplitter Engine Tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No, I didn't dump it in there. This is the second time the prankster has done this within 40 days. I have no choice but to store the logsplitter outside under a tarp, and I store the splitter on someone else's property, so my watchdog is helpless. He/she dumps about 12 oz of water into my splitter's engine, usually in the wee hours of the morning. Then when I try to start it, the engine fires once or twice, burning the gas in the fuel line and then quits.

This time I emptied out enough gas to fill an empty Captain Morgan liter and saw the water at the bottom of the bottle, all the gas floating above. The engine started immediately on the remaining fuel.

I have two questions:
(1) How do I trap or stop the villain or should I even try?
(2) Can I syphon out the gas in the bottle, throw the water in there away, and at least use the fuel for something?

Use the fuel to start fires. A bucks worth of gas ain't worth it.

How about a wildlife camera? Take a pic of the offender. Maybe a sign that states - I'm watching you!

Well, rather than burn the fuel, I thought I might be able to use it as a solvent to clean tools, saw chains, or oil-base paint brushes.

I thought about the wild life camera. That might identify the culprit.

What about taking a small steel wash tub and locking it over the engine with a chain or cable wrapped underneath the axle?

Sure - All those ideas would put it to good use (but gas fires are fun:blob2:)

Locking it down might be a pretty good idea if you can figure out a way. I just hope that it doesn't push the offender into a different category of destruction. I would hate to lose a hydraulic line or tire because of the peckerhead.

Shut off the fuel line

Keep the fuel line shut off so at least that crap will be contained to the tank and not throughout the system. When you're done, fill the tank with stabilized fuel. This won't stop the perp but it will make it harder for him just to add water.

Whether you put up a camera or not, I would put a sign laminated in plastic with words to the affect, "Smile You're on Camera" under the tarp. Idiots hate to get caught and he'll probably beat feet and leave the splitter alone.

You're idea to lock down access to the tank will help too. Creeps that pull this crap don't want to get caught and don't want to spend time working around a lock. The longer they fool with something the better the chance of getting caught.

Good Luck, hope all works out.

Take Care

That's really sad. Can you pull the splitter under a light. You can get those fake security signs to post on your property. Locking the gas would work for a few days but once they get those goofy ideas in their head, there is no stoppling them. Next they cut the hyd line or sand in your oil.

I'd be looking in to those signs. They sure helped us.

That's really sad. Can you pull the splitter under a light? You can get those fake security signs to post on your property. Locking the gas would work for a few days but once they get those goofy ideas in their head, there is no stopping them. Next they cut the hyd line or sand in your oil.

I'd be looking in to those signs. They sure helped us.
Electricity is 100 yards away from the splitter. "No stopping them" does worry me. I won't post the really easy and dirty thing that he can do next to ruin the engine completely. Sand in the oil is tame compared to what I know that he could do. I believe we all know what that is, but let's not publish it.

I thought I might try this. Lock the wash tub over the engine with a good short chain under the splitter's axle. Removing it would make noise. May not even take a lock. Just bolt it tight under the tarp.

WDYT?

Last edited:
Pranksters play harmless jokes on people. People who trespass and destroy expensive equipment usually have some other agenda ( revenge/spite/jealously to name a few). Catch the person on camera then take care of business. Jusy me 2 cents.

Pranksters play harmless jokes on people. People who trespass and destroy expensive equipment usually have some other agenda ( revenge/spite/jealously to name a few). Catch the person on camera then take care of business. Jusy me 2 cents.

I have several cameras up on our property. I also have a horn connected to an old car battery and a driveway alarm. If nothing else, they know I'm watching for them.

You can pick up a used trail cam on GL real cheap. Good enough for what you want to do.

I have several cameras up on our property. I also have a horn connected to an old car battery and a driveway alarm. If nothing else, they know I'm watching for them.

You can pick up a used trail cam on GL real cheap. Good enough for what you want to do.

I'm looking into a trail cam (for a different reason); what's "GL"?

A wire tied with the tarp, connected to a relay and battery. They pull the tarp, break the wire, closes the relay and a horn or large light comes on. Just a thought.

Maybe its not prankster. Maybe its crappy gas. Ive had several cans of gas go bad. The alcohol seperates from the gas then it attracts moisture in the air so you end up with water in the fuel. Its called interface and is a problem around here. Check your gas cans and see what they look like.;)

I thought I might try this. Lock the wash tub over the engine with a good short chain under the splitter's axle. Removing it would make noise. May not even take a lock. Just bolt it tight under the tarp.
WDYT?

I think that's a splendid idea since the bugger is so persistent. Maybe tie cowbells all over the place, too. The idea is to slow him down and force the kid to make noise - you want that little beast to decide on his own that it's not fun, exciting or worth it. If you photograph and confront him, etc. it may actually have the opposite effect and invite retribution at some point in the future.

I have used this funnel and filter from Outerwears to remove water from contaminated gas. The filter is fine enough that it will catch the water and allow the gas through. Obviously this is not a solution to the vandalism problem, but it will get your splitter up and running in the matter of minutes if you run the contaminated fuel thru it a few times.

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/proddetail.asp?prod=11022

I have no choice but to store the logsplitter outside under a tarp, and I store the splitter on someone else's property
Any chance it's someone related to the 'someone else's property'?

He/she dumps about 12 oz of water into my splitter's engine, usually in the wee hours of the morning.

Are you SURE it's water and not the results of 12oz curls? :blob2:

I like the trail cam idea - I also would do what I could to get the slplitter back home on my own property. But if it's 1hr away, maybe that isn't practical.

I have two questions:
(1) How do I trap or stop the villain or should I even try?
(2) Can I syphon out the gas in the bottle, throw the water in there away, and at least use the fuel for something?

What about putting some kind of splitter/fuel selector on the bottom of the fuel tank with a hose running to where you can catch the 12oz of water/non-fuel and then you know when the fuel is 'clean'.

Good luck!

Maybe its not prankster. Maybe its crappy gas. Ive had several cans of gas go bad. The alcohol seperates from the gas then it attracts moisture in the air so you end up with water in the fuel. Its called interface and is a problem around here. Check your gas cans and see what they look like.;)
All my gas cans are good; I checked that. Remember, we are talking about 12 oz of water winding up in a half-gallon small engine tank. I imagine there isn't a service station in the USA selling gas with that much water in it. Any car or truck pulling away from a station after a fill up would last about 20 seconds at most.

Oh, and after I drained the water out, I also re-filled the splitter tank with the same gas can that I had previously filled it with just to be sure. The engine ran like a soldier.

Last edited:
How about one of these?
http://www.wechapps.com/home/home/Gas_Cap_Guards/gas_cap_guards.html
attachment.php

They ain't cheap, but might be worth reducing your frustration.

see if you can get a locking fuel cap onto it.

I would also put up a couple of hunting trail cameras. Make sure they are the kind with the IR flash, not a conventional one. You don't want the person doing it to know they are being caught, or they are likely to steal the camera!

Back