weak dollar effect on saw prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His reply is to the reason that the dollar is so weak, not to chainsaws in particular. I have to agree with him though. We have dumped 1.2 trilling into Iraq, borrowed more money than we can hope to repay, and elected a government that is completely out to lunch. Never mind a FED that artificially lowered interest rates to keep from a deflationary situation in 2001, and created a bubble in cheap interest rates, high housing prices, and massive comsumer debt.

As for chainsaw prices, I was at a large Stihl dealer this weekend, and he said that the weak dollar will not effect the price of their saws. Stihls are pretty much price fixed globally anyway. Far more expensive off shore than here, before the dollar tanked. I have not really seen any price increases in any saws here lately.

reword

Let me word this differently;

Has the price of foreign made saw increased dramatically as a result of the weakening of the dollar?

As far as the sentiment that everything is going to hell..... aren't economic patterns somewhat cyclical? I've seen no breadlines or riots, so I am not yet paniccing.

Hopefully I haven't stirred up the militia types too much....

I have my assault rifle collection at the ready here... though its is too muddy after all this rain to go out and start a militia this week.

As I said above, I have not seen ferign chainsaw prices increase with the fall in dollar prices (yet). At least not Husky, Echo, Stihl, Dolmar or Poulons in my area (OryGUN).

I don't think the cost of importing saws will go up for quite some time and who knows if that will be passed on to the consumer but that would be a safe bet. The Canadian dollar is soaring and retailers are slow to adjust prices because of huge profit margins but I can tell you this many Canadians are flocking to the US to buy big ticket items and this is good for the US economy and gives us a break on prices for a change. I never thought our dollar would ever be equal or higher than the US dollar but I think everyone is living beyond their means in todays society and that is sad. I hope people will pipe up when their governments run deficits we are fortunate enough to have a surplus after many years of running a deficit and our economy is doing well at the moment but that could change at any time.

Well, those of us in Europe should be buying American gear by the ton as for us it is so cheap.

Not.

The importers haven't passed on the change in currency to the consumer here at all. They are making a fortune at the moment. £1 = $1 in the shops here.

How about this for an example: 100 feet of ripping chain. £395 + VAT in the UK, so call it £450 or $900. It is cheaper for me to pay Baileys $300 to ship it across the Atlantic than buy it here. While I was there, I also picked up some Oregon 27A for half the UK price.

Remember that economies change. In my lifetime the dollar has been 1:1 with the pound (loads of American tourists over here.....), and it has been 1:2.45 to the pound (loads of English tourists over there).

I also wouldn't blame it on the EPA - its the debt that is killing you, both at a government and individual level.

I bet the big saw manufacturers hedge the currency risk in the financial markets for at least a couple years. Same concept as when Southwest "locked in" their fuel cost at the equivalent of $26 a barrel crude for several years.

Not much difference up here in Canada. Even though our dollar is "so strong" now, the saw prices are still astronomical compared to the Stateside prices. A new 361 would still cost me in excess of $800 up here easily, that's why I keep scouring eBay for a deal or at least a partially damaged unit for me to fix.

Not much difference up here in Canada. Even though our dollar is "so strong" now, the saw prices are still astronomical compared to the Stateside prices. A new 361 would still cost me in excess of $800 up here easily, that's why I keep scouring eBay for a deal or at least a partially damaged unit for me to fix.

Well, there was a deal on a 361 over on the AS tradin' post a while back. $450 for a nice near-new 361. Needless to say, it sold fast.

Some things sure are showing the jack in the Euro over the dollar here though. I priced tires for my truck the other day. WOW! Almost $200 a pop for Michelin LTX tires! Last round 2 years ago they were $150 each. Also my Rx meds that I get from the UK have gone up. But they are stihl half the price of buying them here, or in Canada.

Last edited:
Back