Weak MS180 Construction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like stihl needs to beef up the connecting rod on those saws. I was going to buy my mother a ms180 for Christmas, but after seeing that, I'll pass.

It take a lot of force to bend that or any rod... Someone is putting unreasonable pressure on the wrench, or, the nut/clutch was put on too loose (and tightens with braking action) or too tight. Correct torque numbers and techique are important, and particularly so on the smaller saws.

Screw in metal stops are a big NO on saws with and angle plug (almost anything modern)...

Almost forgot. The oiler is still broke. I've never messed with the oiler on one of these. What do I look for?
My uncle was given an 023 with faulty oiler - turned out somehow something to do with the elbow at the bottom of the pump (can't remember exact details) had shifted/twisted out of place. The bloke said he'd never had the top handle off (covers the elbow), so wasn't bad assembly. It had us stumped 'till he just 'fiddled'...

OK, so what's the 'safe' way?
1) Adjustable piston stop set for TDC plus 1/2 of stroke?
2) Flywheel holder?
3) Fast 3/8 impact gun?

Leave spark plug in for compression. Use impact gun to remove flywheel first to prevent shearing aluminum key. Then remove clutch with impact gun. Remember, this rod was bent with a scrench, not a big wrench. I also had a lot of rope in the cylinder to get the piston away from TDC.

So who's going to help me out here with a crankshaft? I've torn up my Dad's saw and can't find a crankshaft on eBay. I doubt the saw's worth the cost of a new one.

How much can you sell the chassis for on eBay?
And the P&C?
How's the total of those two sales, plus the value to you of having a spare clutch, bar, chain, ignition and carburetor, compare to the cost of a new MS180?

These little saws seem to run well, but like JJ said, they must not be made to be serviced much. I'll still sing it praises as a nice little runner, but I am disappointed in the construction. It's another one of those, "you get what you pay for". I didn't pay for a pro saw, I didn't get a pro saw simply as that. For most people, you run these until they break and buy a new one.

Now what should I be looking for on the oiler? It puts little to nothing out when running the saw with the bar and cover off. That's with winter grade oil too.

Brad, I've watched all your MS180 threads with much intrigue. Seems there's always something to learn!

When I was looking for a small saw, I checked out the MS170-180 and the Dolmar PS341 -401....The little Husky's weren't even a consideration. My buddy has a Husky 141 and I was never impressed with that saw. Although he just recently modded the muffler and it definitely woke it up.

I settled on the 401....As you well know, I liked Dolmars....lol....Anyway, after comparing the 170/180 with the 341/401 there was really no comparison, at least in my mind. The 170/180 just looked cheap in comparison. The 341/401 although an old design had some pro saw features, including a magnesium case. Granted, this comparison was external only but I kind of figured/hoped better quality on the outside and some pro features, should equate to better internals.

The 401 was $30.00 more than the 180 but it sure seemed like money well spent. Dolmar is discontinuing them now for newer models but if you ever run across one, you may want to buy one, if for nothing else other than a comparison.....I don't think you would be disappointed!

Here's a pic of mine right after I bought it....Think it had been used once or twice, when I shot this pic......:cheers:

Dolmar401.jpg

Last edited:
How's the weight of the 401? The only reason I have a 180 is because of the light weight.

Dolmar has it listed at 8.8lbs.....I've never officially put it on a scale but it's very light and easy to handle......You could use this saw all day and not get fatigued!

PS-401 seems more comparable to an MS230... 39cc saw vs. 32cc for the MS180.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but were you turning it the right direction??

Piston #1 looks to me like you had the piston stop in the center of the piston rather that on the edge. The center of a piston is pretty weak!!

I've had some tight ones and never those results.

I'm not to keen on the impact idea either as I have a 460 from a customer why was using one to remove the clutch and broke the crank on the flywheel side!!! The same dealer that told this customer to use an impact gun has broken at least one crank that I know of................but must still do it!!

But the MS230 is listed at 10.1lbs @ 2.5hp......PS401 8.8lbs @ 2.3hp....MS180 8.8lbs @ 2.0hp.....From what I recall the 180 & 401 were very similar in size and weight......I haven't looked at the 230 but surely it's larger (physically) than the 180 & 401.

Yes and it weighs the same as the MS180 at 8.8 lbs. The 401 has a very impressive power to weight ratio and it's build like a professional saw.

Latest posts

Back