Weak MS180 Construction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Advertised weights of the two saws are identical at 8.8 lbs. The only problem I have with the 410 is it only turns 12K RPMs. Of course it's constructed like a Pro Stihl saw with vertically split magnesium case halves and a bolt on cylinder, so porting and squish adjustment should not be a problem. Hmmmm.

Yes, and I believe that bolt on cylinder and piston are Mahle.....Don't let the 12k fool ya.....The 401 has lots of torque for a little guy.

My buddies Husky 141 turns 13.5k stock and couldn't touch my 401 in anything over a 3" log ....... He's a little closer now that he modded the muffler. My 401 is still stock but I will be modding the muffler as soon as the warranty runs out.

The 401 you can actually dig the bumper spike in and lean on it. That 141 with its higher rpm just bogs out and chokes, if you lean on it even slightly so I don't think higher rpm is the whole story.....IMO

Last edited:
I was looking at Makitas. Is the DCS-34 the equivalent of the Dolmar replacement for the 410? Some cut & paste info. Where is SawTroll? :D

DCS-34

Features
Rugged cast cylinder
Low noise operation
Easy maintenance
Double air filtration
Efficient cold weather operation
High power-to-weight ratio
Specs
Engine: 2.0 cu.in.
Displacement: 33 cc.
Max. engine speed
> > (w/bar & chain): 12,200 RPM
Power rating: 1.4kW/1.9 BHP
Fuel tank capacity: 13.3 oz.
Oil tank capacity: 8.5 oz.
Standard guide bar: 14"
Chain Pitch: 3/8"
Chain Gauge: .050"
Net weight (dry w/o bar & chain): 8.2 lbs.
Shipping Weight: 22.00 lbs.

NO.....and if it's anything like this one.

http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/product/5142/index.html

I wouldn't want it.....it's the only Dolmar I have no interest in owning.....All plastic.....Even my Dolmar dealer scoffs at that thing.

I believe you want the Makita DCS401.....Same as Dolmar PS401.

Baileys sells a 39c Efco that only weighs 8.8 lbs, turns 13,500, and makes 2.4 bhp. Cost is $279. Anyone know how it's constructed? LINK

I believe the smaller Efco's are plactic case construction but I may be wrong.

I got my 401 for $230 out the door, with two additional 3/8LP chains.....You could probably get one even cheaper now, with the PS350 & 420 now available.

Oh, and a Dolmar hat.... :)

Last edited:
There's also the PS-341, which is a small bore 401, just like my Husky 36 was a small bore 41. My local Dolly dealer had the 341 on sale for $180 last time I talked to him, but he didn't have any 401 in stock. I couldn't quite justify selling my 36 to buy a 341, would have done it if I could have moved up to 40cc for around $200.

Baileys sells a 39c Efco that only weighs 8.8 lbs, turns 13,500, and makes 2.4 bhp. Cost is $279. Anyone know how it's constructed? LINK

Looks a little dubious to me; the John Deere version of the saw is listed as 9.5 lbs (and $225 on eBay...)

You've got to get up to at least the 56cc model to get the all-magnesium construction. But even the 39cc has a "forged connecting rod"... you might appreciate that.:)

(There's a CS63 on ebay right now..! BIN for $345)

Yeah, but they're about 1.7 lbs heavier.

Huh?.....I'm confused. :laugh:

I'm not suggesting you look at the PS350/420, just that with them (350/420) now available you may be able to find and a buy a 401 for less than I paid......:cheers:

This happened when I used a plastic piston stop on my MS180 and tried to remove the flywheel nut. . . .So I put rope in the cylinder and used a scrench to turn the clutch. Here is the result. . .

Sorry for your loss, and thanks for sharing and starting this discussion.

Can't use an impact wrench in the field but will add rope to the metal stop and plastic spoon in my saw tool kit, and choose with care.

Philbert

Last edited:
piston stop

Hi this my first post but thought I would chip in.
I worked at a dolmar dealers (many years ago)
and the only way we would lock pistons was with a
plastic wedge through the exhaust port.
This was a dolmar service tool at the time but easy to
make out of a felling wedge.
PS thanks for all the info and laughs I have been lurking
for some time!:

I think it's cute. Cheap, too.

:agree2:

To an extent....I think it's cheap but cute?....NOT

Actually, I remember reading somewhere, that saw won some innovation awards over in Europe. :dizzy:......:givebeer:

Brad, sorry about your misfortune, but thanks for sharing! If nothing else it'll help some folks know what to look out for.

I pulled the clutch & flywheel off the Echo 440 tonight, stuffed as much rope as possible through the spark plug opening. I guess that I'm lucky that I didn't break anything :dizzy:.

I was looking at Makitas. Is the DCS-34 the equivalent of the Dolmar replacement for the 401? Some cut & paste info. Where is SawTroll? :D

DCS-34

Features
Rugged cast cylinder
Low noise operation
Easy maintenance
Double air filtration
Efficient cold weather operation
High power-to-weight ratio
Specs
Engine: 2.0 cu.in.
Displacement: 33 cc.
Max. engine speed
> > (w/bar & chain): 12,200 RPM
Power rating: 1.4kW/1.9 BHP
Fuel tank capacity: 13.3 oz.
Oil tank capacity: 8.5 oz.
Standard guide bar: 14"
Chain Pitch: 3/8"
Chain Gauge: .050"
Net weight (dry w/o bar & chain): 8.2 lbs.
Shipping Weight: 22.00 lbs.

The obvious answer is no. The 341 was the smaller displacement saw on the same chasis as the 401. I believe the 420 is the more powerful replacement for the 401, and the PS-34 is the replacement for the 341.

I have a pair of DCS-401s. One was a new saw at discounted price($225) and the other was a lightly used Ebay deal for $165 and came with 3 new chains plus the dull one on the saw. The 401 doesn't weigh much more than my Echo 3450, but is considerably more powerful. Its still a 10-12" wood saw at best.

Because of the 401, I bought a pair of DCS540s as well. Both were "refurbs", but one never appeared to have gas or oil in it. The specs seem a bit weak, but they cut better than a Husqvarna 353 or Stihl 026 that have similar hp numbers. The 401s and 540s seem to be very well made saws. I like 'em!

The late Snellerized MS180 of my Dad will live again! Thanks to DMShaver for a crankshaft. Let's just say, it'll go back together differently that it came apart. I'll try not to find any more weak links in the saw:)

Rope is the only way I will use. Too many twisted off cranks and I NEVER liked the piston stop made by anyone.

Advertised weights of the two saws are identical at 8.8 lbs. The only problem I have with the 410 is it only turns 12K RPMs. Of course it's constructed like a Pro Stihl saw with vertically split magnesium case halves and a bolt on cylinder, so porting and squish adjustment should not be a problem. Hmmmm.

You want a 401 to play with. Hell, I want a 401 to play with. I've used one that DN had his hands on, I believe it was, and it was a nice saw for the sort of stuff you'd use an MS180 for, and for a bit more beyond that.

When using rope get enough in the cylinder to get the piston down away from TDC. The closer to TDC it is the more stress is put on the rod at "X" torque. The least amount of stress to the rod would be with the crankthrow at 90degrees.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more?

If the compression is placed on the tie rod while it is vertical (top of stroke or bottom of stroke), there would seem to be less bending force placed on it than when it is at an angle.

Philbert

Back