Wear those chaps people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was running an edging mill. I knew I should not have been out with a saw that day. I was bone tired, and it was I figured too hot for chaps. I'd decided to call it a day, and was on my last cut. When I lifted the mill and saw out of the cut, the damned saw did not return fully to idle right away, and stop the chain, and I let it brush my leg. I thought at first it had just got my pants, but when I looked through the hole I knew different. I was lucky, it was only 2" long, and 1/2" wide and 1/4" deep. Didn't bleed enough to even bandage, and I went to the emerg. for 8 stitches. Doc said I must have a good 'fight or flight' response, is why it didn't bleed. I carry the scar now. It's my "don't be so damned stupid" scar.

I never use a saw without protection, chaps in the uk and not like over with you, they go right down to your foot. Trousers are more comfortable to me and chain saw boots that have protection in them. Why be complacent there are some good protective gear out there now unlike when I had my first saw, we live and learn and hopefully survive to put learning into practice and educate others.
Your a very lucky man and glad you posted for all to see :clap:

I never use a saw without protection, chaps in the uk and not like over with you, they go right down to your foot. Trousers are more comfortable to me and chain saw boots that have protection in them. Why be complacent there are some good protective gear out there now unlike when I had my first saw, we live and learn and hopefully survive to put learning into practice and educate others.
Your a very lucky man and glad you posted for all to see :clap:
I went right out and got a good set of Stihl chaps. Definitely worth it.

Well if we are going down the rout of dumb stuff we have done that I knew better than to do.

Back in May I was using a chop saw and cut too small of a piece of wood and did not have it clamped down to the bench. It jumped about a foot to the left and 8" in the air and this was the result. I didn't even have my hand near the cut. The doc pealed my thumb like a banana to close it up and keep the dexterity. Not a chainsaw but it woke me up

20230523_124506.jpg20230526_142508.jpg20230523_083417.jpg

Well if we are going down the rout of dumb stuff we have done that I knew better than to do.

Back in May I was using a chop saw and cut too small of a piece of wood and did not have it clamped down to the bench. It jumped about a foot to the left and 8" in the air and this was the result. I didn't even have my hand near the cut. The doc pealed my thumb like a banana to close it up and keep the dexterity. Not a chainsaw but it woke me up

View attachment 1122815View attachment 1122816View attachment 1122817
A little heads up would have been nice. I just got up and about lost my coffee when I saw the first pic.

Something similar happened to my BIL. He was using a circular saw that got bound in the cut. Saw jumped and got his thumb (about the same amount as yours).

View attachment 1122815View attachment 1122816View attachment 1122817

I had a student a few years ago who got his finger slammed into a greenhouse door by another student at school, it did pretty much the exact same thing, just not on his thumb.

I see how that would work. So just to keep from cutting your arms while using a saw above head level?
should NEVER cut above head level
arm protection is more likely to save you for cut and toss work, hold a limb with one hand, cut with the other and throw to clear obstacles
note: never one hand a saw, never cut and toss, its dangerous as frig and breaks ANSI rules
that being said, I think we all do it
no reason to cut above your head, more likely to have something fall and kill you or break your neck, also if you get kickback having that chain hit you in the face will kinda suck

Latest posts

Back