Wear those chaps people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should NEVER cut above head level
arm protection is more likely to save you for cut and toss work, hold a limb with one hand, cut with the other and throw to clear obstacles
note: never one hand a saw, never cut and toss, its dangerous as frig and breaks ANSI rules
that being said, I think we all do it
no reason to cut above your head, more likely to have something fall and kill you or break your neck, also if you get kickback having that chain hit you in the face will kinda suck
yep. or on ladders.

yep. or on ladders.
ladders are bad, but fairly safe when you know what you are doing and have a good reason
most ladder related tree worker injuries are from people that dont know how or why to climb
ill get up on a ladder to trim hedges, or for pruning ornamentals, but only with a hand saw or pruners, never with powered tools and I always anchor the ladder to the tree with a webbing sling and a biner

ladders are bad, but fairly safe when you know what you are doing and have a good reason
most ladder related tree worker injuries are from people that dont know how or why to climb
ill get up on a ladder to trim hedges, or for pruning ornamentals, but only with a hand saw or pruners, never with powered tools and I always anchor the ladder to the tree with a webbing sling and a biner
I mean with the chainsaw though.

dont cut on a ladder, and dont cut above your head
no need for sleeves if you keep both hands on the saw, everyone i know thats ever been cut was from one handing a saw or general carelessness
Yep. It is all cool one handing the saw until it jumps out of a cut and busts your a$$.

Yep. It is all cool one handing the saw until it jumps out of a cut and busts your a$$.
yep, no way to catch a kickback, and its super easy to just not be thinking and run your hand right into a spinning chain while reaching to catch/grab/push something
I one hand every single day, I even one hand the 881 on long cuts, however I know the risks of it and pay special attention to them, im not super tall so I tend to need the reach of one handing more than my other climber that is 6ft5

buddy of mine did just that, reached to grab something and laid his saw right into his forearm, I think he was slashing brush in his dump trailer, had to call his fiancé afterwords which he said was worse than the cut itself

yep, no way to catch a kickback, and its super easy to just not be thinking and run your hand right into a spinning chain while reaching to catch/grab/push something
I one hand every single day, I even one hand the 881 on long cuts, however I know the risks of it and pay special attention to them, im not super tall so I tend to need the reach of one handing more than my other climber that is 6ft5

buddy of mine did just that, reached to grab something and laid his saw right into his forearm, I think he was slashing brush in his dump trailer, had to call his fiancé afterwords which he said was worse than the cut itself
881? Send me a picture of it!

top video, guy may not know they exist
bottom video is basically the setup I sent you, with a sharp chain and low rakers it is the closest thing to a race saw ive ever ran, once its dialed in you can almost drop it through a log

Hey guys, I'm an oldish fart with a question about extra-protective chaps/trousers for non-professional guys like me who are slowing down a bit but haven't quite fully admitted it yet. Is this a good place to ask, or can you recommend someplace better?

I’m not a pro logger, which is why I have to be careful when getting firewood. Best thing I did was take a NH Timber Owner’s chainsaw use and safety class. Always wear all my protective stuff plus Stihl protective shirt. No more drop-starts for me too. These saws are too unforgiving. Best of luck on the healing.

Hey guys, I'm an oldish fart with a question about extra-protective chaps/trousers for non-professional guys like me who are slowing down a bit but haven't quite fully admitted it yet. Is this a good place to ask, or can you recommend someplace better?
Ask away man. I will chime in. I recommend buying chaps according to the protection level based on chain speed. You can find it online with a google search.
My recommendation for colder temps would be max protection. I use 9 layer full wrap chaps from SWEDEPRO. You can find them at various online stores,search them up. For warmer temps I highly recommend wearing 5-6 layer full wrap chaps.
I have had a close call or two over the years. Chaps were a critical component in my safety plan and I always wear them.

This is an older post, but I'm going to add to it anyway. This is such an important topic. I've heated with wood most of my life, so I have quite a few cords of wood under my belt. I try to remind myself each time I use a saw that it is the most dangerous tool that I use on the farm. It's hard not to just get used to it and think that after all those hours of sawing, that, "you must be really good at it and bulletproof".

In this picture, you'll see the one cut in my chaps which are about 20 year old. It only cut the nylon on the outside, just a "nick". Well the location of that cut is right where the femoral artery is on your leg/hip area - what If I hadn't had the chaps on and what if would have been deeper? Don't like to think about that.

Another interesting point is that I don't know when that happened!?!? One day when I put the chaps on I saw it and though, OMG! After that incident, I made a vow to myself to ALWAYS put my chaps on - even to just make one cut. My rule is no using the saw without the chaps. It's hard to do, but after many years now I have not violated it.

Attachments

• chaps.jpg
    chaps.jpg
    825.5 KB · Views: 0
The Swedepro and Stihl chaps are both made by the same people. If you are getting Stihl chaps, don't get the black 6-layer ones like I was going to before the dealer talked me into buying the better orange ones. But oh boy they get hotter than the furnace of hell in the blasting southern summer heat.

I have heard Cloggers are also very good from my friend @ZinTrees.

have heard Cloggers are also very good from my friend @ZinTrees.
yes, a little expensive, but custom made, and they wont snag on everything like chaps, the Clogger Zero's arent very hot in the summer (worked all of last summer at 95+ degrees with a heat index above 120 without an issue)
I believe they are also safer than chaps but not 100% on that, the ripstop nylon is amazing, feels like theres nothing to the back of them, like a parachute, but you cant tear it, snagged my ass on the sharp corners of the trailer hundreds of times and not a single mark in the nylon, although I was bleeding afterwards, front is a normal chap like material

Latest posts

Back