% weight on truck w/5th trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to deliver firewood in order to sell/move it. So, I need a truck. I would like to use my forklift for deliveries if possible. Does a one ton pickup and a flatbed 5th wheel seem like it could handle 7,000 lbs, or even 10,500 lbs. of wood and a 6,000 lb forklift? Or am I dreaming... It would be nice to do multiple deliveries on one run. I built racks that are 4' x4' x 6' high, or 3/4 cord, that when seasoned, I'm guessing are about 3,500 lbs. (Oak 5,800 lbs. cord green, so 4,350 for 3/4 cord, x 80% for seasoned, is about 3,500 lbs.) The actual outside dimension of the racks are 4' 6" and probably could not be placed side by side on a trailer, putting more weight forward on the trailer and on the rear of truck. What percentage of weight typically does the rear of the truck carry with 5th wheel rigs? Then I read a triple axle trailer takes some of the weight off the truck, but, someone on here said tires are a bigger problem then. I could put the racks in a rear tow dump trailer I suppose and strap them in and dump. Those of you that sell wood and deliver, what works for you?

If the trailer has elec brakes, tires, and trailer rated for the wieght. yup, you good to go.

Sounds like you need a tri axle trailer for behind a dually.. If the truck your buying doesn't have the hitch, DON'T cheap out on the hitch...

With 16,000 lbs. of payload plus the weight of a trailer rated to haul it (like Garmins dad said, tri-axle), you're looking at something bigger than a 1-ton. Think F-450/F-550, or whatever your favorite brand has to offer in that range.

If the trailer has elec brakes, tires, and trailer rated for the wieght. yup, you good to go.

Not so fast...

Your vehicle, the tow vehicle, should have a gross combined vehicle weight rating. If it was built in the last two decades anyway. the Gross combined vehicle weight rating is the maximum weight of the vehicles...all of them including the tow vehicle, plus the weight of their respective loads. Some one-tons are fairly light in that regard. Ford makes an f-350, and then a super duty, and an f-450, etc. A standard 1-ton with single wheels might only have a GCVWR of 16,000 lbs or so, and the truck might weigh 5400 alone. Add to that a big trailer of say 3400 pounds, and then your leftover is 7200 payload.
Now many of us have, or are towing more than the GCVWR, but with that come inherent risks, and upkeep issues. These trucks are designed with those tolerances, and when you exceed them, especially on a constant basis, parts that you normally expect to get 100,000 miles on, start wearing or giving out in30,000 miles. In addition, even with electric brakes on your towed trailers, there is extra stress on your tow vehicle brakes. Electric brakes are not always tuned to perfection, and the tow vehicle bears the initial brunt of the discrepancy. Add to that is your ability to make up for a failure of a towed vehicles brakes in a needy situation. And it happens, I can tell you from experience. It's very comforting to have a heavier rated tow vehicle when you need brake power, and very scary when you realize you don't have it.
I used to tow tandem trailers with two of my 1-tons, and mostly it worked out ok, but after a few scary incidents, I started paying much more attention to my total weights. While it might be less of a concern in the flatlands, mountainous areas are a whole 'nother smoke

Last edited:
1 ton truck with 5th wheel will handle 16,500 payload if the trailer and hitch are rated for that much weight. Tires,axles, and frame all need to be rated for that much weight as well. Brakes on all axles with appropriate brake controller settings are mandatory, trailer brake = to or a little more than truck. Most important aspect is to make sure more of the weight is in front of the trailer axles than behind it, otherwise you'll be in for a jacknife or roll over. I have safely pulled that much weight behind a 1 ton truck on a pintle. Very safe driving practices are mandatory.

Most of the newer trucks are rated to tow 16,500 or so with a CGVR of 23,000. I think maybe ford is up to 26,000 on the 450. If you get a triple axle or dual tandem you should be able to haul all the truck will by it's CGVR. Most of the newer diesel trucks are in the 6800-8400 lbs depending on configuration.

Ayatollah gives good advice. Many trucks that shouldn't be pulling that much weight still easily could, but controlling and stopping them safely is a different story than simply pulling them.

1 ton truck with 5th wheel will handle 16,500 payload if the trailer and hitch are rated for that much weight. Tires,axles, and frame all need to be rated for that much weight as well. Brakes on all axles with appropriate brake controller settings are mandatory, trailer brake = to or a little more than truck. Most important aspect is to make sure more of the weight is in front of the trailer axles than behind it, otherwise you'll be in for a jacknife or roll over. I have safely pulled that much weight behind a 1 ton truck on a pintle. Very safe driving practices are mandatory.

My made for haulin' 1-ton (F-350 cab/chassis, flatbed, gooseneck and pintle hitches) is rated around 20,000 COMBINED. That would be exceeded by the example you mentioned. The OP's trailer and payload alone are going to come very close to 20K.

My made for haulin' 1-ton (F-350 cab/chassis, flatbed, gooseneck and pintle hitches) is rated around 20,000 COMBINED. That would be exceeded by the example you mentioned. The OP's trailer and payload alone are going to come very close to 20K.

Good point, I did leave out truck gvwr. Not tryin to argue but I still feel that if the hitch and trailer specs can handle the load it is still safe, properly balanced. What's an f350 weigh, 7000? Semi tractors weigh 14-17000 and gross legal 80-90000 on 5 axles around here. The combination above grosses out around 27000. The truck can pull the load but the trailer needs to be able to handle it,and it must be balanced. The truck gvwr would trump all in the courts.

I Think 18-20% of trailer weight is recomended for pin weight.
get the best hitch possible and install it accordingly.Seen one at a local campground a few years back where a guy had just bolted his hitch to the bottom of bed and the bolts pulled thru bed bottom.

You had better have a lot of wood ready to sell next year to pay for that rig. Not saying you don't, but most people cannot sustain that level of production to pay for the equipment you are mentioning. Unless you have another business that also pays for it.

Dan

My friend has a dodge cummins dually. We can pull 17,000 pintle hook dump trailer with no problem. Make sure your weight is distributed evenly and that your trailer brakes work. If worse comes to worse you can use your tranny to slow her down. We are also installing a motor brake on it to reduse tranny wear.

What's an f350 weigh, 7000?

Mine goes 6800 w/fuel. GVWR is 12,500, but I'm plated for 16K. Pulling with "no problem" is one thing, pulling "legal" is another. I prefer "legal" over DOT violation on my CDL. Just sayin'.

Mine goes 6800 w/fuel. GVWR is 12,500, but I'm plated for 16K. Pulling with "no problem" is one thing, pulling "legal" is another. I prefer "legal" over DOT violation on my CDL. Just sayin'.

I fully agree with this statement. Also this whole hauling wood and a forklift and offloading with just seems Like way to much a hassle. I know personally I measure out a cord of wood load it in my dump trailer and pull it with my F350 no problems pulling and I don't have to worry about the police messing with me. Just my .02$ but I would make one delivery a time.

The amount of total weight you can be legal with is dependent on the gross combination weight rating of the towing vehicle.

For instance, in TN my license states that "A Class D vehicle is defined as any vehicle, or any combination of vehicles, with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less..." and my 1993 F250 is listed as having a towing capacity of 12000-18000 pounds depending on setups.

So you'll need to check your local laws and specs to know.

'01 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L Cummins HO 6-speed NV5600 manual trans.
Dana 60 front/Dana 80 rear, 4 wheel disc brakes.
GCWR 20,000lbs.

Fully fueled up and filled with gear, tools, saws, etc... 7100lbs on the scale with me in it.
Truck plus 32' tandem axle 5th wheel flat-bed trailer... 11,8000lbs on scale with me in it.

Haven't weighed it fully loaded with wood yet, but here's a pic with a load of oak. Tell me what you think it weighs? 18,000+?

Add another 6,000 from a forklift and it's more than rated which is honestly more than I would want to pull behind my truck. The load in the pic was heavy enough. I would pull more but those aren't exactly trailer rated tires on there. :msp_tongue:

Maybe find a flatbed Freightliner that is already setup for piggybacking a forklift? Friend of mine has one with the 5.9L Cummins.

IMAG0359.jpg

Tri-axle trailers are hard on tires!

I haul Very heavy loads including full size tractors, backhoes and logs. I started with and quickly got rid of a 24' tri axle goose neck trailer because scrubbing away of very expensive tires and load rating of those tires to handle the wieght! I now have a 20K Big Tex goose neck with double duals with Big brakes on both axles...much better. Next these diesel pickups make plenty of power to haul 20-30,000-plus pounds but can they stop safely? My Dodge cummins 4X4 dually is heavily modified to tow but it took a LOT of time and $$$$ with engine work, double disc clutch. modified transmission, exhaust brake. after market brakes custom made suspension, water injection, on and on and on. Best suggestion, keep it as light as possible, Keep it safe as possible and keep it simple.

Back