Weird piston action in a blown Stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So-Stihl warranties repairs, not the dealer. This is a tear down before calling Stihl Tech at the DISTRIBUTOR level. They value the shop techs opinion, at least here. The biggest factor is if it is a failure of the unit cause by mechanical. This must be proved. AND is it one of my good customers. Yes, it does make a difference.
Well, I tore down a Stihl blower today because the piston looked fine , but it was locking up as soon as it warmed up. A couple of deep gouges in the side of the piston, not even vertical ?? So, I ordered a piston and cylinder. Bearings seemed fine. Stray piece of metal ? Don't know. Doesn't matter. It's three weeks old.

But, I would not tear in to that saw looking for something unless the owner wanted it repaired either way.

I have never had Stihl turn down a warranty request, but I don't send them any bull **** either.

Well, I tore down a Stihl blower today because the piston looked fine , but it was locking up as soon as it warmed up. A couple of deep gouges in the side of the piston, not even vertical ?? So, I ordered a piston and cylinder. Bearings seemed fine. Stray piece of metal ? Don't know. Doesn't matter. It's three weeks old.

But, I would not tear in to that saw looking for something unless the owner wanted it repaired either way.

I have never had Stihl turn down a warranty request, but I don't send them any bull **** either.
Just make sure whatever it was is either out or repaired.

Just make sure whatever it was is either out or repaired.

Yeah, you have to wonder. What can make a twenty degree from vertical deep scratch.

As far as the MS500I , we had one come back in a couple of days with a slightly scored piston. Guy had it buried with a 36 inch bar in some oak and cooked it til it quit. We took it back and gave him full price. I cleaned the cylinder, put a piston in and sold it to another guy who has had no issues.

Some of this is just not cut and dried.

But, a MS500I is a job to take apart when you don't know who if anybody is going to pay you.

Yeah, you have to wonder. What can make a twenty degree from vertical deep scratch.

As far as the MS500I , we had one come back in a couple of days with a slightly scored piston. Guy had it buried with a 36 inch bar in some oak and cooked it til it quit. We took it back and gave him full price. I cleaned the cylinder, put a piston in and sold it to another guy who has had no issues.

But, a MS500I is a job to take apart when you don't know who if anybody is going to pay you.
I don't know what scratched it you better look all over it. Some people don't know when to let a saw cool. Can you post of pic of the blower piston?

IMG_0956.JPG

Well, I needed to go back to the store and get a carb for some of my junk.

Circlip came out. I took it apart while the guy was at the counter and ordered the top end. Put parts in a box and din't pay much more attention to it. Didn't even ask about warranty. At least I know what to put on the warranty request now.

Think my 15 degrees exaggerated . More like 5 .
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ah308/rgerringer/IMG_0956.JPG

I'm hoping stihl central will comp some of the expense and just have my dealer repair it. That's the current plan.

Agreed. I've read through the procedure and this ain't a regular saw, lol. I'd rather have them deal with it.

The guy have a dull chain on or something? I would have liked to think a 500i should be able to handle a 36" bar buried all day long.

The guy have a dull chain on or something? I would have liked to think a 500i should be able to handle a 36" bar buried all day long.
Don't know that detail.. Logger friend of mine has been using one for a couple of years, and I mean using it.
Says he hasn't had a minutes problem.

But, I don't think I would expect it to pull a 36 inch bar all day.

No replacement for displacement or something along those lines.

If I had a lot of big stuff to cut, the 661 would come out. Faster in the Long run.
Kinda take the wind out of my sails for getting one. No point in getting rid of my 390xp then. No issue with a 36" bar or running it all day.
Don't know that detail.. Logger friend of mine has been using one for a couple of years, and I mean using it.
Says he hasn't had a minutes problem.

But, I don't think I would expect it to pull a 36 inch bar all day.

No replacement for displacement or something along those lines.
touted as being able to handle a 36" bar by stihl. Heck even an old 80cc mcculloch would pull one all day. Kinda disappointing. Meh, just stick to what I currently got.

Back