Weird piston action in a blown Stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the dealer and customer, how good of a dealer and how good of a customer. I’ve heard of them fixing stuff just outside the warranty and I’ve seen them blame it on straight gas at 3 months old.

I’d just clean up the cylinder and put a $100 oem piston in it. And have the dealer recalibrate it
Sounds like a plan.😁

Why I always run canned gas but then I don't run mine every day anyway. One thing about canned gas and that is (at least with Armor, the mix ratio is always correct and no guessing. 2 of my arborist customers have switched to VP canned gas in 5 gallon containers as well because their hired crews can screw up a wet dream... and do. I have to add an access door in the feed snout of one of their Bandit chippers because the crews regularly plug it by overfeeding pine branches. and the gummy sap plugs it and it's a PITA and time consuming to get it unplugged and time is profit lost and never recovered so an access door in the snout will be a welcome addition for them. Simple modification too. Plasma cut, gasket it and install a hinge and slide lock bolt. Lots of gummy softwood here. I actually modified the chipper knives with a more aggressive included angle grind to lessen the pitch build on the chipper knives as well. Something to do over the winter months. Grinding them at 31 degrees now. Nothing worse or more expensive than a scored piston and jug let alone the bottom end carnage.

Lots of contributing factors at play here. Question is as always, will the dealer warrant it or not. Being a Stihl dealer, I'm leaning towards warranty denial.
Fascinating. I have a friend who burned up his 10 month old MS201 C-EM and when he first approached the selling dealer, they initially told him "No Warranty on Arborist saws"... I cried Foul quite loudly and told him to question it again and strongly. They are now in the process of covering it, waiting on piston & cylinder. Thinking his was not a Straight Gas scenario, as he runs all of his saws from a single can and no other saws were compromised. From your side of the counter, this type of issue has to be a major pain to discern.

We have had customers call Stihl directly and get to the right person some way or the other and get them to cover something not exactly cut and dried one way or the other.
At the moment they are noncommittal…big surprise :p
looks like I have to wait until Monday for any decision.

Lots of contributing factors at play here. Question is as always, will the dealer warrant it or not. Being a Stihl dealer, I'm leaning towards warranty denial.
Most likely. My dealer is waiting for a better response from her district Stihl rep. And, this is not a stand-alone saw shop. They are part of a local farm/hardware chain. This area really doesn’t have a dedicated saw shop anymore. They have been great to work with, however, and are trying to make it right.
stay tuned…

It could have overheated from a dull chain.
Tight tolerances on new engines are more susceptible to heat damage than a saw with a couple hundred hours.
They could have been using fuel without enough octane.
Using regular, non-E gas, Stihl 50:1 mix, 5gal at a time.
dull chain is a slim possibility; his crew is pretty good at swapping out dull chains.

So-Stihl warranties repairs, not the dealer. This is a tear down before calling Stihl Tech at the DISTRIBUTOR level. They value the shop techs opinion, at least here. The biggest factor is if it is a failure of the unit cause by mechanical. This must be proved. AND is it one of my good customers. Yes, it does make a difference.

Back