Well I Guess I Did It

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

458_lott

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After all of the conversation with you guys last night, I went over to my local Stihl dealer and ordered an MS-460 with a 24" bar. I told him I was not in any hurry and he had an order going in on January 2, 2006. He stated that he would add my saw to his order. I am pretty stoked about it. He had a brand new MS-440 sitting there that a fire company brought back without even opening the case, but he stated that it was spoken for. Apparently a guy came in just before I did and gave him a deposit. Had that been available to me, I'm not sure what I would have done. Yes, I know! I would have ordered the 460 anyway. Interestingly enough, he called his dealer rep. while I was there and inquired about the wrap-around handlebar I requested. The rep. told him that they all are on the West Coast. I will need to order that as an add-on later. He said all of the 460s available to him have the flushcut bar. Oh well. I have several other saws with full wrap-around handlebars. Not that big of a deal. The dealer told me he is having a difficult time getting some Stihl models because of all of the clean-up after Katrina. He also told me that the MS-460 was still made in West Germany. I knew many smaller Stihls were being made in Virginia Beach but I didn't know which models. Anyway, I am way excited to wrap my grubby little paws around that saw when it comes.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I guess I just needed that extra nudge.

458_lott (where penetration does count)

458_lott said:
Interestingly enough, he called his dealer rep. while I was there and inquired about the wrap-around handlebar I requested. The rep. told him that they all are on the West Coast. I will need to order that as an add-on later. He said all of the 460s available to him have the flushcut bar. Oh well. I have several other saws with full wrap-around handlebars. Not that big of a deal.

i would have a hard time swallowing that, is he going to credit you for the half wrap handle? since your ordering the saw you should get what you want, not have to pay extra after the sale. why is he waiting til jan 2 to place his order?

since i don't run stihls i don't know how there dealers are set up, but with husky i could have any saw or part in 3-4 days from the dealer i use. since he is a big dealer he does not pay shipping, so he just calls in the order as they come in. some small dealers will wait to place a big order to save on shipping.

i would go to another dealer and see what his response is, or send an email to stihl customer service and see what they say. if your laying down your money you should get what you want.

kf tree,

Those are very valid points. He stated that if I waited until January 2, 2006 he would get free shipping on his entire order. He offered to order it immediately, but I declined as I don't need it this instant. As far as the wrap handle is concerned, I will have to ask him about getting credit for the half bar (flush cut). If I had my druthers, I would take the wraparound, but it doesn't really matter because I have other saws that have a wrap handle that I can used for felling. If he credits me for the flush-cut half bar, I will go with the wraparound after I get the saw. If he doesn't, I will just stay with the flush cut. He told me to call Stihl. I just may do that from the office tomorrow. The price he gave me was good. He told me I could have it for $700. I was satisfied. Hope I did the right thing as I don't need the saw, I just want it. Thanks for the thoughts.

Congratulations Michael! You are going to really like that new Stihl! Do you know about the dual port muffler cover that's available? I put one on my 460 and it lets the saw breath better. It's a Stihl part, so your warranty is still good. Part #1128 140 0801 and they cost about $30. :)

Ted

458_lott said:
Hope I did the right thing as I don't need the saw, I just want it.

of couse you needed that saw, and never loose sight of that.
just like i needed to try one of these..........

I learned about the dual port muffler cover last night on this thread. I will definitely grab one of those. As far as the Dolmar is concerned, I'm thinking I definitely need one. The 7900 looks as though it is just my style. As I had stated last night, I think our Dolmar dealer is now out of the saw business (selling new saws) He was a Dolmar dealer back in the 70s when only a few of we logger types knew what the heck Sachs-Dolmars were around here. I remember being a young college kid drooling over the big Dolmars he had at his shop. I used to just stare at those being dawgs on the front of the saw. Yee-gads they looked awesome. Well anyway, I always knew I needed a Stihl and you guys just kindof sealed the deal. I almost bought one about two months ago, but the dealer (different dealer than I bought the 460 from) really made me mad. I was on my way to get the saw and called from my cell phone. He stated that he didn't have the bar or chain I wanted after telling me when I called from the office that he did. I turned around and headed to my Echo dealer and grabbed the CS-670 which turned out to be a great saw. I knew I would be re-visiting the Stihl situation. I just decided to go to my old faithful Homelite dealer from the 70s who happens to be a Stihl dealer also and made the deal today before lunch. It is final exam time and I had to get my grades in the the registrar's office so I left my office and headed to the Stihl dealer. He answered my questions and placed the order.

458 Lott Eh? chain sawyers and wildcatter's we both is. Got me a 338/378 KT in the safe.

Butch,

Just can't seem to get away from big bores. Saws and guns. I have a whole lot of rifles and many are big bores. Finishing up a .500 Jefferey on a Ruger #1 and a .404 Jeff on a Pattern 14 Enfield. Stepping into a .505 Gibbs also. I shot .458 Win Mags for years and then had a Lott built. Don't use it too much as I shoot the .416 Rigby more. Will chase the almighty M'Bogo with the Lott however. As far as saws are concerned, I like my Homelite Super Wiz 66 gear drive. Can't bog it down with my entire body weight. It is heavy though. Kinda excited about the MS-460. Will be really glad to get it.

458_lott said:
I used to just stare at those being dawgs on the front of the saw. Yee-gads they looked awesome.
Being a professor of psychology, what do you make of your desire for a big saw? :laugh:

Wow, thats a lot of shoulder bruisers for one guy to own. You sure you are all right?:) The KT is all I want to handle but has plenty of horsey out a far, as I am sure you know.

458_lott said:
After all of the conversation with you guys last night, I went over to my local Stihl dealer and ordered an MS-460 with a 24" bar. I told him I was not in any hurry and he had an order going in on January 2, 2006. He stated that he would add my saw to his order. I am pretty stoked about it. He had a brand new MS-440 sitting there that a fire company brought back without even opening the case, but he stated that it was spoken for. Apparently a guy came in just before I did and gave him a deposit. Had that been available to me, I'm not sure what I would have done. Yes, I know! I would have ordered the 460 anyway. Interestingly enough, he called his dealer rep. while I was there and inquired about the wrap-around handlebar I requested. The rep. told him that they all are on the West Coast. I will need to order that as an add-on later. He said all of the 460s available to him have the flushcut bar. Oh well. I have several other saws with full wrap-around handlebars. Not that big of a deal. The dealer told me he is having a difficult time getting some Stihl models because of all of the clean-up after Katrina. He also told me that the MS-460 was still made in West Germany. I knew many smaller Stihls were being made in Virginia Beach but I didn't know which models. Anyway, I am way excited to wrap my grubby little paws around that saw when it comes.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I guess I just needed that extra nudge.

458_lott (where penetration does count)
Excellent choice. Any trepidation you had about price will quickly vanish as you use this exceptional saw. Congrats on an intelligent purchase. Simon.

Spacemule,

Guess I am a pretty sick unit! Honestly, I just have been mesmerized by the logging industry (since I was a little kid) Really not sure. I raced motorcycles for years, am very interested in African hunting and spend spare time chasing Mako sharks with 50# stand-up gear. I have always lived my life on the edge. (My motto has always been that you are not really living unless you scare the crap out of yourself at least once daily). Used to do a lot of climbing (mountains not trees) and still do a lot of hiking and non-technical climbing (getting old). I guess I have lived a storied life. I taught school (high school) for 15 years and coached football (lucky enough to win a couple state championships in Delaware) and then I ended up changing fields and doing a clinical internship at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in the 1980's. Couple of post graduate degrees later I have been running an out-patient mental health clinic and teaching psychology at a local college. I always tried to stay active being an AAU and NPC bodybuilder and powerlifter up and down the East Coast until two years ago. As far as wood cutting, just can't seem to get enough. Love the outdoors, love wood and love chainsaws. Always did, always will.

You guys have been very helpful to me. I didn't really know that much about Stihl saws. Oh, I was familiar with the nomenclature (model names and all) but never had any experience with the vertical engine Stihls. I was more familiar with the older 044s, 051s, 056s, etc. Listening to you guys has given me the proper education to speak intelligently about the newer Stihls. I knew I wanted a pro model as those are the saws I have always owned, but I didn't know which one to buy.

He must be a small time dealer... The only reason to wait until jan 2nd is that he's trying for free freight (over $1500 on one order). I'd tell him to order it today, get it in in two days (std freight) or you'll go somewhere else. Ditto on the previous comment of full wrap verses std.

Lakeside53,

You are probably right, but I really don't need the saw this minute and if it helps him out with the freight, that is o.k. by me because they have been good to me over the past 30 some years. I think $700 is a good price, but I really don't know. By waiting until January 2, I will have more money and have to put less on the credit card also. I kind of hope the $700 is a good price. I think the last price I got from a dealer on that particular saw was about $780 with a 24" b&c.

458 lott,
You will be pleased with the saw, I have a 046 and love it. I also had a long debate over the 044 and 046, but with about 1 more hp and only 1 more pound in weight I had to go with the 046. Keep a good sharp chain on it and you will be very happy.
Jeff

Rotax Robert said:
Go with the full wrap handle, go to madsens1.com and order it also do the dual port muffler and high compression oil cap. Nice buy :)
I'm no Alfred Einstein, but what's a high compression oil cap?

460Ted,

I raced a pair of OSSA Stilettos. They were about like a Bultaco Pursang. I raced for years in the 250cc class and then went to the 125cc class with Hodaka. Tried to get a ride with BSA when they came out with their 4 cycle motocross bike, but they would only give me a bike at dealer's cost and discount parts. The bikes were heavy but pulled like mules. I really wanted to get into flat-track and XR-750s but had to many distractions. My wife and I ride Harleys now just for grins, but no longer race anything; not even saws. We enjoy riding and shooting. Planning an African hunt. Wife has to have a Greater Kudu and I must have a 44" or better Cape Buffalo. I have so many passions and saws are just one of them. I will tell you that I always feel better physically when I am in the woods cutting. I have gotten back into saws in the past year. Didn't have many left in the old stable, but since, I have added an Echo CS-670 and now the MS-460. Kind-of stoked about the Stihl. All you guys on here are absolutely devout Stihl or Husky fans. I know either are good saws, as are Dolmars. I just never varied from the old commercial Homelites much. I used Super XL-925s for felling, XL-12s for limbing and gear drive Super Wiz 66s for bucking up logs. I used to use Poulans (late 70s and early 80s) also, but would always burn them up. Fast cutting saws, just not very durable. I would run saws from sun-up to sundown (part-time work and the Poulans never held up as well as the big Homelites). I still use some old Homelites, but I must be honest; I like the Echo CS-670. The saw seems to have some grunt. Can't wait for the Stihl.

Back