Well I Guess I Did It

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
458_lott said:
Lakeside53,

You are probably right, but I really don't need the saw this minute and if it helps him out with the freight, that is o.k. by me because they have been good to me over the past 30 some years. I think $700 is a good price, but I really don't know. By waiting until January 2, I will have more money and have to put less on the credit card also. I kind of hope the $700 is a good price. I think the last price I got from a dealer on that particular saw was about $780 with a 24" b&c.

In that case, no problem... and you'll love the saw..

458_lott said:
460Ted,

I raced a pair of OSSA Stilettos. They were about like a Bultaco Pursang. I raced for years in the 250cc class and then went to the 125cc class with Hodaka. Tried to get a ride with BSA when they came out with their 4 cycle motocross bike, but they would only give me a bike at dealer's cost and discount parts. The bikes were heavy but pulled like mules. I really wanted to get into flat-track and XR-750s but had to many distractions. My wife and I ride Harleys now just for grins, but no longer race anything; not even saws. We enjoy riding and shooting. Planning an African hunt. Wife has to have a Greater Kudu and I must have a 44" or better Cape Buffalo. I have so many passions and saws are just one of them. I will tell you that I always feel better physically when I am in the woods cutting. I have gotten back into saws in the past year. Didn't have many left in the old stable, but since, I have added an Echo CS-670 and now the MS-460. Kind-of stoked about the Stihl. All you guys on here are absolutely devout Stihl or Husky fans. I know either are good saws, as are Dolmars. I just never varied from the old commercial Homelites much. I used Super XL-925s for felling, XL-12s for limbing and gear drive Super Wiz 66s for bucking up logs. I used to use Poulans (late 70s and early 80s) also, but would always burn them up. Fast cutting saws, just not very durable. I would run saws from sun-up to sundown (part-time work and the Poulans never held up as well as the big Homelites). I still use some old Homelites, but I must be honest; I like the Echo CS-670. The saw seems to have some grunt. Can't wait for the Stihl.

That's cool! I do a little bit of racing myself. Had the chance to roadrace Springer and old Nixon this year in the Triumph Thruxton Cup. I beat them both (Springer's pretty fast) check it out.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/triumph-motorcycles/thruxton-cup/thruxton-cup.htm

Ted

460Ted,

Cool, cool, cool. Long live the Brits. When in high school, I rode British motorcycles (BSAs), drove British cars (Triumph TR-3), wore British clothes (all came from Carnaby Street) and played British music (have been a professional musician since 1965). Keep up the good work. It just doesn't get better than doing it on two wheels.

It is really amazing you are able to find a dealer that will offer you decent price on Stihl products.

I mentioned a particular WA. dealer at a local dealer's store today and I thought the guy was going to have a heart attack. He flat out told me he will not support any saw bought from that particular Stihl dealer.

It really irks me that we have multiple dealers in our area and none of them offer any different prices or price breaks on their Stihl saws. Something else they do is mark up the price 15% above retail and then offer a cash price which is still $15 higher then Stihl's current retail list price. What's up with that?

I would be looking for a good alternative brand from an online dealer and support it myself if I was not partial to Stihl saws.

Sorry for the rant, I guess it's time to go outside and cut some wood now and cool off. It's 26 degrees outside, that ought to do it. :)

stump doctor,

I really didn't know if the price was a good price, but I thought it was. Most saw dealers around here won't cut you a break either. When I lived in Delaware and cut pulp wood and hardwood (pulp for the Glatfelter Corp.), our local Homelite and Poulan dealer always gave me good deals. Of course I bought boatloads of saws from him. I would just buy the powerheads and put my own bars and bows on them. My Stihl dealer told me today that Stihl would not send me just the powerhead. I would have to get the bar and chain also. Oh well, it doesn't really matter to me anymore as I don't cut commercially and don't need ten to 15 powerheads.

Latest posts

Back