What brand of Chaps to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
green bryers

They work perfect in green bryers too. I've pulled too many green thorns out of my legs not to wear them. But for protection they are good insurance. I got husqvarna chaps now........they are good. I beat the **** out of the stihl ones I had. I figured I'd try husky. My husky ones are good and muddy already......lol. :laugh: :hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy: :biggrinbounce2:

I wear the full blue safety pants...husky and stihl....I sweat like a tramp at confession in them, but,they've saved me before and I won't cut without 'em.:bowdown:

Labonville

I never even knew that there was such a thing as chaps till I joined AS. It is just one of the pearls of wisdom that I gained here. Truth is first time that I heard mention of them I thought "wimps" however that thought passed fast, as I know there is a hell of a lot of experience and knowledge here. Then I thought well I'll just buy a "cheaper" pair, and started looking at ebay, Menards, etc. A couple of weeks ago there were 2 or 3 threads about chaps on AS. One thread was about a guy who had cut himself, gr8scot, I think anyway another thread had a video from the forest service showing what happened when a saw hit a pair of jeans with a ham stuffed in the leg. It was very bad. Next they showed 10 year old chaps with ham stuffed in leg. Not a lot better. Then a new pair of chaps with ham, no cut through. I went to the Labonville site and ordered the full wrap right then and there. I got them 2 days later and I will not cut without them. I am proud to be a "wimp" also. Thanks to the guys here who continued my education. JR

I never even knew that there was such a thing as chaps till I joined AS. It is just one of the pearls of wisdom that I gained here. Truth is first time that I heard mention of them I thought "wimps" however that thought passed fast, as I know there is a hell of a lot of experience and knowledge here. Then I thought well I'll just buy a "cheaper" pair, and started looking at ebay, Menards, etc. A couple of weeks ago there were 2 or 3 threads about chaps on AS. One thread was about a guy who had cut himself, gr8scot, I think anyway another thread had a video from the forest service showing what happened when a saw hit a pair of jeans with a ham stuffed in the leg. It was very bad. Next they showed 10 year old chaps with ham stuffed in leg. Not a lot better. Then a new pair of chaps with ham, no cut through. I went to the Labonville site and ordered the full wrap right then and there. I got them 2 days later and I will not cut without them. I am proud to be a "wimp" also. Thanks to the guys here who continued my education. JR

Only the smartest guys wear chaps, it is a wise man who lives to cut another day.

Yea the post with the ham and chaps also convinced me to buy some. I thought the same thing, they are for the "armed wood cutter" but have changed my mind also. They are really not that uncomfortable to wear. I thought they would be worse. I know I will take a beating from my buddies for wearing them, but oh well.

Husky and Stihl Chaps

I've used the Husky and Stihl brand chaps and they are both of good quality. One of the things that no one has really mentioned is 'fit'.

Chaps are usually sized by length, so '32' is not the waist size (something simple that took a while to figure out). If you are taller, the longer lengths are needed to cover your legs to the tops of your boots.

Just like jeans, or coats, or anything else, different brands fit different people differently. If you live near a retailer and have the opportunity to try them on, take advantage of that. Or try on a friend's pair. You want chaps that are comfortable to wear and that will not restrict your movement. I will try to put this delicately, but some pairs that I tried on, . . er, . . , well, . . . let's just say that women sawyers wouldn't have the same problem.

I like the full wrap styles what protect the backs of my calves, and I have found that a basic pair of suspenders (or 'braces') makes them a whole lot more comfortable to wear.

I ordered a pair from baileys last week, the cheapest ones they had. i put them on and the plastic clip broke when it snapped in.:chainsawguy: so im thinking ill go with a different brand.

I'd let them know about it, I'll bet they will do right by you.

And remember; You don't alway's get what you pay for, but you'll alway's pay for what you get.

Andy

Hey Tom,
Speaking of GTG things, you gonna try to make it over this year?

Andy

Andy the 18th is my Anniversary; and, that same week end I'm supposed to do a 75 mile bike ride around the 'loop' here in Ft Davis. We'll just have to wait and see who and what wins. We both enjoyed Cloudcroft.

bought stihl pro's with my new saw, prolly will go full wrap next time. I nicked myself once working on a forestry crew. And I know a guy who used to be a pro, he cut his leg almost all the way through, did not lose his leg but is disabled and the leg will barely hold him up. Do not want to go there,

Chap Care

Be sure to try to keep them clean- especially if you get them oily. We did a self test at a local saw shop ( Stihl) a few years back, wrapped a pair of dirty chaps on a log, a 044 w/fcs went right through them, took a pair of clean ones tried the same and shut the saw down.

I wash mine as needed, which is usually once a week - stihl pro chaps. They hold up pretty good, just don't dry them in the direct sunlight. Throw them in the washing machine and air dry. Usually I can keep a pair around 2-3 months, 60-70 bucks for a pair of chaps is alot cheaper than a doctor bill and down time. Have only had them come in handy one time at night right after Hurricane Lilly- was helping a friend get a tree off of his house, pitch dark, drizzling rain and sawing in a top with a flashlight between my teeth, left foot slipped off of the limb I was standing on with my 44 and the saw- on full throttle, came down on my right thigh- shut it down quick. learned several valuable lessons, one of which I do not run a saw without a pair of chaps on, period....... Have just recently heard of the full wrap chaps since joining this site, will probably go with a pair of the green ones next...

Last edited:
sadly almost no one uses chest protection... at lease based upon feedback asking who wears upper protection post...

hands is another high accident areas that rarely gets protection. two areas with largest number of accidents reports are leg area and hands.

be sure and purchase a good chainsaw hardhat. try one to find out if that brand is comfortable on you.

Ya mon. me have fun cut wood be safe long time.

What about arm and chest protection? I hear tell of a local who slipped and cut his chest open, and he just bled out. 18 years old. Sad.

Latest posts

Back