What does your saw really weigh?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thought it might be interesting to get some data on saw weights from the actual owners, not just advertised weights. Would also be interesting to compare old vs new in the same engine size. Here are some to start out, as measured with a digital fish scale. First number is with bar/chain, second without. Both are without gas and oil.

Homelite XL-2 ......14" 8.8, 7.3
Homelite Xl-1........16" 12.0, 9.5
Skil 1631...............16" 16.0, 13.5
Homelite xl-12.......20" 19.0, 15.5
pioneer 14-20........16" 19.0, 16.5

The Skil surprised me. It's pretty light for a 69 CC saw considering it has auto oiling and was made in the late 60's. Notice that a 4" increase in bar and chain adds a pound to your saws weight.

My 1-42 with a 34" bar weighs about 25 pounds. If I had a scale I'd be better able to weigh my saws, but I dont unfortunately.

Just so happens that when I got my Husky 395XP few weeks ago, first thing I did was stick a 36 inch bar with rip chain on it, fill with gas and oil and stick it on the scale. 26 lbs. Take off dogs and attach to my 36" Granberg mill, and we are talking 43 lbs total.

Dave

all saws with bar and chain

MS200-10#
Husky 50-15#
026-15.5#
270-16.5#

These are weights as used in the field.

Jeff

Well,the little 12 inch Poulan ,is about 7 .5 lbs,on the other end of the scales,The McCulloch SP125,with a 48" bar,is around 40,with gas and oil.Feels like a ton .

I have a stihl 031 ave with a 32 inch bar 404 chain 19 pounds. Stihl ms 290 18 inch bar .325 chain 18 pounds. Stihl ms 180c 12 inch carving bar 1/4" chain 10 pounds. Dont ask why the 031 has a 32 inch bar, that is beyond me thats just how i got it, does not run yet needs new fuel line. will be interesting to see it cut, or not. I believe they used it for milling since it has no dogs.

My Rotax 325 with Bar and Chain weighs 66 pounds. I know a lot of the other guys have there's at 55, but I added stainless steel to reinforce some of the aluminum. My 3120 probably weighs 25 pounds with pipe, bar and chain. But I'm guessing on it. I have no idea on the other saws I hav e. I just fuelem up, pull the cord, and cut stuff. If only life were so simple?

All the best,
Arden Cogar Jr. aka Jamie

My Partner 500 weights 14.4lbs. It does have fuel in it. It would be lighter if it had no fuel and chain oil.

Since you were using a "fish" scale, I will chime in. To be really precise, we need to
know your altitude, proximity to the equator, and ambient temperature, as well as
the barometric pressure, the lumens of sunlight, and the color of the saw. This data
will then be given to Glen and Ben, so they can apply "physics", and get to the bottom
of this.
Also we need exact quantities of fuel and oil, none of that metric cra p , as well as
octane and viscosity!

If you sort through a ton of posts by GlenS He has all the weights. Right down to with or with out gas, bars and all.

Fish said:
Since you were using a "fish" scale, I will chime in. To be really precise, we need to
know your altitude, proximity to the equator, and ambient temperature, as well as
the barometric pressure, the lumens of sunlight, and the color of the saw. This data
will then be given to Glen and Ben, so they can apply "physics", and get to the bottom
of this.
Also we need exact quantities of fuel and oil, none of that metric cra p , as well as
octane and viscosity!

My Husky 394 is magic. Early in the day, it weighs about the same as a stick of wood. By lunch, it weighs about 2 sticks of wood. By dusk, it weighs 4 sticks of wood. Is that accurate enough Fish? :)

Latest posts

Back