What does your saw really weigh?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such big question marks!

The topic had gone on a donkey tangeant, and I was admiring DDM's donkey's teeth.

On very, very, very rare occaisions, I might stray off topic just a little.

Now if you had taken your saw mountain climbing, say on a mountain near the equator,
with a full tank of 89 octane, with Stihl 50:1 mix, and used motor oil{10w50 synthetic
of course} in the bar oil tank,temperature at 0 degrees Celcius, would it be heavier
or lighter than one on the North pole at the same temp?

Fish said:
Such big question marks!
Now if you had taken your saw mountain climbing, say on a mountain near the equator,
with a full tank of 89 octane, with Stihl 50:1 mix, and used motor oil{10w50 synthetic
of course} in the bar oil tank,temperature at 0 degrees Celcius, would it be heavier
or lighter than one on the North pole at the same temp?

...identical saw on North pole saw would be heavier. Even equator at sea level is still farther from the earth center than the poles (earth bulges at equator). :)

I have 2 boys, 4, 5 years old.
I almost dream about that Donky.
Shrek is about how i feel everytime that disc runs in the dvd.

They are sleeping now, otherwise I would be able to get the Donkys name to, I keep forgetting.....

If you were on a perfectly level field, and you shot a gun with the barrel perfectly
parallel with the ground, and at the exact same instant you fired the gun, you dropped
a slug of equal weight from the same height, which would hit the ground first?

It takes the least amount of steel.
Why are the windows of middle age cathedrals thicker at the bottom of the glass?

Fish said:
Why are the windows of middle age cathedrals thicker at the bottom of the glass?
...glass flows, like very very slow molasses... over time. Thus panes are thicker at bottom. :cool:

Dave

It is claimed that cathedral glass is thicker at the bottom because
glass flows. Is it a property of glass to flow in the time frame of a
century or so?
Glass does flow, but the increased thickening at the bottom of old windowpanes is not caused by this effect; That - nonuniform thickness - is an artifact of the old, now obsolete manufacturing process.
It's just a myth.

ray benson said:
It is claimed that cathedral glass is thicker at the bottom because
glass flows. Is it a property of glass to flow in the time frame of a
century or so?
Glass does flow, but the increased thickening at the bottom of old windowpanes is not caused by this effect; That - nonuniform thickness - is an artifact of the old, now obsolete manufacturing process.
It's just a myth.
How obsolete... the small glass panes on my 101 year old house are also thicker at bottom of pane when I went to re-glaze them few years ago. If its a manufacturing defect or process... then why are all the panes thick on bottom? Wouldn't you think half of them would be thick on top then? Did the guy installing them check thickness, and make sure all the thick ends went to the bottom? ..I think not. Hey... could be an urban legend, but I was always told glass is actually flows.

SOME PHYSICS TEACHING MYTHS C.H.Wörner, Instituto de Física, Universidad Católica de Valparaíso, Chile ....... The flow of cathedral window glasses... It is a well-known fact that atoms in glasses and liquids present a disordered state or short-range order as opposite to crystalline materials that present long-range order. Therefore, solid glasses (as the ones belonging to cathedral windows) must possess liquid properties, that is, they must flow. Surely, solid glass viscosity must be greater than ordinary liquids, but for long exposure times, the consequent deformation can be noted. Medieval glass windows seems to be the perfect target for testing purposes and it is asserted that they are wider in its lower than in its upper edges. In fact, it has been shown that this effect is not measurable –at room temperature- during historical times (say, 5 OOO years), and therefore the thickness difference –if it exist- can be attributed to manufacturing defects. Furthermore, it is curious that older glass objects (ancient glass vases) do not seem to show this effect and do not appear in this myth.

{The difference in thickness sometimes observed in antique windows probably results from glass manufacturing methods, says LaCourse. Until the 19th century, the only way to make window glass was to blow molten glass into a large globe then flatten it into a disk. Whirling the disk introduced ripples and thickened the edges. For structural stability, it would make sense to install those thick portions in the bottom of the pane, he says.}

WELL.... I stand corrected, thanks Ray. So apparently Enoch James in 1904 (he built this house for himself, and died in it) actually DID look at the pane and put the thick part down? Interesting. Like my signature says... old enough to know how much I don't know :)

Dave

So my Physics and Chemistry proffessors were lying scumbags!
What about the ethereal wind? Don't go there................

Latest posts

Back