what got you into saw collecting/hording ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been cutting wood to heat my house for over 30 years. I had 3 chainsaws for most of that time but didn't know how to properly utilize them as a 3 saw plan. Then I bought an MS290 when none of the 3 would run. I did a search for reviews on the MS290 and found this site. In less than a year and a half the saw count is up to 11. I learned how to utilize the multi saw plan and always bring 4 with me when I go out cutting.

Thank you everyone for all of the knowledge that is freely shared on this site. After learning about muffler mods my MS290 and J-red 2036 are screamers and my knowledge of chainsaws and what makes them tick is vastly improved. :msp_thumbsup:

I work in Forestry, where saws are an everyday tool. Awhile back I found myself at work with a shop worth of beat-up old saws in need of attention and needed to know more particulars than I did about the cussed things. Then I bought a couple for home use, had more questions, and found out that on Google, "all roads lead to Rome" in that if you search for saw stuff, sooner or later you'll end up on Arboristsite. Met some folks, learned some stuff, passed on some of my own knowledge, and the rest is history.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Had my J-red 625 stolen off my front porch. Had that saw for 20 years. Started looking on e-bay for another used saw, found this site, and the needle was in my arm, so to speak. Got about 10 saws sitting 'round here in various states of disrepair. Just need a nice warm place to work on 'em through the winter. I'm laid off now, so I might have to take over dad's greenhouse! Working on my 026- fuel line was rotted, impulse line weather checked, waiting on carb kit- and an echo cs-400 right now in there. This site is like heroin but at the same time it's like AA.

Had my J-red 625 stolen off my front porch. Had that saw for 20 years. Started looking on e-bay for another used saw, found this site, and the needle was in my arm, so to speak. Got about 10 saws sitting 'round here in various states of disrepair. Just need a nice warm place to work on 'em through the winter. I'm laid off now, so I might have to take over dad's greenhouse! Working on my 026- fuel line was rotted, impulse line weather checked, waiting on carb kit- and an echo cs-400 right now in there. This site is like heroin but at the same time it's like AA.

Go for it! My bench is in the greenhouse, it's great in the winter!

Man, sucks in the summer though..I only do necessary repairs in the summer...real early in the morning...

My story is I retired from the military and bought a small farm with a broken down house. When it got cold I found out the oil burner was bubble gummed and bailing wired together. I decided to get an outdoor wood stove. Found a used Echo CS-510 and commenced to cutting. Found another used one then a used 520. Good saws no doubt and tough. I wanted more power so I bought a used 066 and a 044 and soon people were just giving me saws. I could not even walk into my shop. Then first child came and I gave all of the ones without a chain breaks away, except two, the big Homelite and the Mall OMG. I just could not let them go. I mostly cut alone, so I bought some safety gear. I still have the Echos. I love them but mostly cut with stilhs. Thinking about getting a new Echo or Husky or Dolmar. Stihls are good but they sure are pricey. I blame necessity and this site. I will keep cutting as long as i can. Its my form of stress relief, I love it.

v/r

Mike

I had 2 old stihls and an old echo and couldn't get any of them to work right. They where all old family handmedowns. Didn't have any money in them so I decided I needed to learn how to fix them. What did I have to loose.

Couple of years later those 3 run great, and so do the others.:msp_thumbup:

short story long?

I have a poulan 245a my dad bought new in the late 70s, I've always just liked the looks of it.
and I've always had a knack with two strokes of any kind, just like 'em.
I have a good friend that owns a small engine business he has helped me keep the old poulan running,
last winter he gave me on a few seperate occasions three 306a's for parts,
well none of them were in that bad of shape so now they're all runners. still no parts saw.
last christmas my wife and kids went to hawaii for vacation, so I got my friend to let me go through his
bone pile and I started repairing saws in the evening that customers had left due to declining the repair estimate,
this pile of saws had accumulated over at least 10 yrs, so it was like a treasure box.
I got to work on practically every brand I had ever heard of and the some.
I repaired or re-assembled about 30 saws, gave most of them back for him to sell and kept a few of the ones
I liked the looks of. my collection is the 245a three 306a's and two jonserds 70e's and 2 partner hotsaws I don't know what I'm going to do with.
ever think you are a kooky old man?

My little top handle RedMax was very capable of handling all my firewood needs. Then I bought the Big-Bang-for-the-Buck, boat anchor MS 290, I thought it would make a good investment cause it's a STIHL. Then I needed a lighter STIHL for a job,MS 250 then the bad influence here made me want a saw to "play" with, so my neighbor gave me an MS 361. Now I've got my heart set on getting an MS 261. FIVE saws,when I really only need ONE!

If I had a thousand dollars, mad money, I'd get an MS 461. (CAD) :msp_angry:

I have a poulan 245a my dad bought new in the late 70s, I've always just liked the looks of it.
and I've always had a knack with two strokes of any kind, just like 'em.
I have a good friend that owns a small engine business he has helped me keep the old poulan running,
last winter he gave me on a few seperate occasions three 306a's for parts,
well none of them were in that bad of shape so now they're all runners. still no parts saw.
last christmas my wife and kids went to hawaii for vacation, so I got my friend to let me go through his
bone pile and I started repairing saws in the evening that customers had left due to declining the repair estimate,
this pile of saws had accumulated over at least 10 yrs, so it was like a treasure box.
I got to work on practically every brand I had ever heard of and the some.
I repaired or re-assembled about 30 saws, gave most of them back for him to sell and kept a few of the ones
I liked the looks of. my collection is the 245a three 306a's and two jonserds 70e's and 2 partner hotsaws I don't know what I'm going to do with.
ever think you are a kooky old man?

I enjoy being a crank myself....

Received an Eager Beaver for Christmas when I moved to Montana from Nazifornia in '84. Kept me warm for a few years-amazing how much wood ya can cut with a rocked chain and sheer force of will...I only had it sharpened when it was throwing more bar oil than wood flour. Good part was, all my firewood came with charcoal attached to each end for incredibly easy lighting...

Bought a big blue Homelite at auction which I never got to run, traded away years ago [drat!]. Got an XL12 same auction, never got 'er started until 2 months ago thanks to knowledge gained here.

Inherited Dad's 034 [along with HIS dead EagerBeaver] in '98, still keeping me warm. Finally learned to file [sorta!] because I'm too cheap to pay for having the teeth shrunk by 25% each trip to the shop.

Ventured into electricland about 5 years ago with a Remington 18" which cut about 3 cords before smoking the motor [MAY have been my fault for using too long/skinny cord].

Was happy and content with my saws until that black day less than 3 months ago when I encountered this site with it's highly transmissible, incurable disease.

Already I own another 1 1/2 034's, an 041FB, an XL12 parts saw, another Remington EL parts saw and am currently bidding on 3 more Homies, a D44 and a Stihl TS420 concrete saw[!]...

I have already accepted my looming demise with resignation-can anyone out there offer me an approximate timeline before I draw my final 50:1-saturated breath???

My Grandfather passed away, and while cleaning out the garage I got his 3 old Remington saws. Mighty Mite, PL-4, and Supper 990. Searched the net for hours until I found this site, and the only information available on Remington saws. Started going to public sales, yard sales, and watching craigslist. It was all downhill from there. That was a little under a year ago, and I'm already 25+ saws (including a Diston 2man). I think I got bit by the bug.

Got any pics of that Super 990, I think the remingtons are classy lookin saws

Received an Eager Beaver for Christmas when I moved to Montana from Nazifornia in '84. Kept me warm for a few years-amazing how much wood ya can cut with a rocked chain and sheer force of will...I only had it sharpened when it was throwing more bar oil than wood flour. Good part was, all my firewood came with charcoal attached to each end for incredibly easy lighting...

Bought a big blue Homelite at auction which I never got to run, traded away years ago [drat!]. Got an XL12 same auction, never got 'er started until 2 months ago thanks to knowledge gained here.

Inherited Dad's 034 [along with HIS dead EagerBeaver] in '98, still keeping me warm. Finally learned to file [sorta!] because I'm too cheap to pay for having the teeth shrunk by 25% each trip to the shop.

Ventured into electricland about 5 years ago with a Remington 18" which cut about 3 cords before smoking the motor [MAY have been my fault for using too long/skinny cord].

Was happy and content with my saws until that black day less than 3 months ago when I encountered this site with it's highly transmissible, incurable disease.

Already I own another 1 1/2 034's, an 041FB, an XL12 parts saw, another Remington EL parts saw and am currently bidding on 3 more Homies, a D44 and a Stihl TS420 concrete saw[!]...

I have already accepted my looming demise with resignation-can anyone out there offer me an approximate timeline before I draw my final 50:1-saturated breath???

Repped!

Bought 1 saw to clear land for my house 13 years ago and kaboom!! 13 saws later addiction.

Update

A bit less than 60 days after my previous post in this thread I'm now the proud and nearly-penniless owner of an additional 7 saws...another Homelite parts saw for backup to my little XL12, a Sears 758D, a Homelite Super XP 1020, two Craftsman 3.7's, a 46cc plastic Homelite I bought as much for the square case as for the saw, and an 066 Magnum. This last one my newfound enablers [friends?] here on AS have goaded me into fixing myself so I'll be taking pictures and documenting it's progress-or demise-as I go.

I'm running out of places to stash my new acquisitions from my wife's prying eyes. I thought the trunk of my car was a pretty safe spot for the 066M for a week or two, but wouldn't you know she needed to borrow it yesterday because her Baja was out of windshield wiper fluid. Best I could come up with on the spur of the moment was that I have another 3 days to decide if I'm gonna return it to the pawnshop for a refund and am still debating. THAT'S not happening-and she knows it...

Found myself in a new pawnshop Friday afternoon holding a small-to-medium-size orange saw labeled as a Homelite but which even to my untrained eye looks very much like a ~ 10 yr old Husky. It has NO logo whatsoever that I could see, but it DOES start and run pretty well with good compression and a nearly new 20" B&C. Price tag is $50 but shop owner must have seen the madness rising in my eyes as he sidled over and, without a word from me, offered to cut the price to forty bucks.

I've never met the man in my life and here he is, already attempting to feed my raging CAD. It really IS true what you guys say here-once you have the malady, people begin to urge saws on you with no prompting.

Really not sure what is the precise number of saws or portions of saws I now presently own, but know for certain it's over 15 and will probably increase by +1 tomorrow when I go back for another look at the mysterious Homelite/Husky. Whoever it was on this site that wrote that CAD is like heroin/AS is like AA was not far off. I feel better about my illness when I'm on here, yet it makes me want to go and buy more saws-how sick and twisted IS that???

I already pored through the Mike Acres site looking at each and every Husqvarna there and not a one has the nearly-round indentation on the starter which seems the logical place for the missing logo to be found, but the shade of orange is definitely Husky. Oh, and the handlebar has been wrapped with what seems to be some very high-quality vinyl tape and there's what feels and looks like ~ 14 gauge wire of some sort spiraled around the handle with about 2" spacing under the tape. Hard to believe it's stock but can't imagine what purpose the wire might serve-my best and only SWAG is a heated handlebar, but seeing as to how I've never seen one of those I'm pretty confident it's not that-

Saw addict - can i get rep please

Well I might as well pull up a chair and join the circle with my shakey hand...shakey saw hand that is from vibration of course :msp_wink: So I used to cut wood with my father and grandfather every weekend as a kid as far back as I could remember. We would load the red ford econoline up hit the diner and gas station fuel the saws and tanks head off to the woods. I'd sit on the plastic bucket inbetween the two of them. Good times.... I love cutting wood the hard work is refreshing and the rewarding feeling when you were done. Lot of great memories there when I think back. So leading me to my saw addicition i would say stems from being given the Stihl 08 that my grandfather sawed with for 40 + years and never owned another saw. It was really beat when I got it and I had it restored. After that I bought an old PL5 on ebay and then a pioneer 600, 650, a 2MG at a show and I found this site and Mike Acres site. Oh yeah and Mr.bowsaw got me into buying a few bow saws as well. So I'd say between these sites and my love for the woods, cutting and tinkering on things, my additive personality the rest is history..official CAD....I haven't counted as of lately but a few years in and I'm up to 40+ saws. I do hear it from the MRS all the time...she give me tons of sh*t for it. I am sure I am not the only one. :dizzy:

Back