WHAT HAVE I DONE? Pros: tell me abot your new guys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabe123

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I went and applied at a tree company last night. The position seems to be general helper *****, but considering my extensive experience (I successfully started my chainsaw several times last week) I can't complain. What startles me is I got a call back (missed it, playing phone tag now) before 8 o clock the next day. Good sign? Dunno yet. But now I'm thinking, "What did I just do?" :)

I know diddly about this work. I have no tools or equipment that could be used on a job site. I have no idea what these guys are going to expect. So I turn to the experts.

All you pros out there, I'm wondering about the new guys you have hired over the years. What did the best ones do right? What did the worst ones do wrong? This is only a semi-serious question, so feel free to jack this thread into a "funny things dumb rookies do" thread, I can learn from that too. Thanks!

PS: Mainers advice appreciated!

I have a lot to say about this but I have to head out soon. So I'll say this....pay attention to everything! Know what's happening around you. You don't have to understand every facet of the work right away but you do need to know what's happening and stay safe. Assume the guy running the loader or lowering a log on a rope doesn't see you. Safety is everyone's responsibility...including you...from day 1.

Hey now, I was in bed! I returned his call within 15 minutes and heard back ten later. He and I both are screening our calls I guess. Either way, I'm keeping the phone close by now, I have my fingers in a lot of pies.

The best ones pay attention and follow along at a good pace. They are reliable and show up when they are asked to. They avoid going in too close and risk getting hit by a falling piece of tree, they are careful around the chipper and the grinder. They don't make up excuses they just work.The worst ones never learn no matter how many times you tell them and work at half speed. They get fired.

Chris, appreciate the link above too, some good reading. My experience has been that new guys who do the "obvious" stuff the fastest are worth keeping and training. Good to get an idea what the "obvious" stuff is in this line of work.

Doing grunt work for a tree company isn't going to feed the wife and kids, either.

It doesn't pay enough to raise a family on.

Well the intention is not to be doing grunt work for the rest of my life. I'm shooting for being hired by the company, getting tree experience, getting my licenses, running a crew someday. That's sort of why I wanted advice on how to make a good impression, what to do to prove I'm worth keeping, training and help advance etc. I am old fashioned and don't believe that spending money and time I don't have to get a piece of paper with no experience to match it and then being angry that I can only find work at Home Depot while I wait for the money/job I "deserve" to drop in my lap is for me. I will be going to school once I have my work situation sorted out.

I'm not sure I can judge your lean here, are you making the point that tree work is a miserable low paying life and it just crushes dreams so don't even bother? Doesn't seem like that's how it turned out for lots of people on this very site. I'll take it into consideration.

It is a miserable low paying career for all but the best. My advice is interview your crew. You want to work for someone that values you as a person and not someone that sees you as a disposable tool. Don't stick around for longer than you have to if you are being treated bad. If you find a good company they will appreciate you because you are motivated by more than a check. Don't be loyal to a company that isn't loyal to you.

Thanks, Buck. From talking to the guy he was very enthusiastic about the opportunities available to the right guy, and the company is fairly decent sized and does contract work for the power company, DOT, municipalities and some residential, so the opportunity as far as the company not going broke some day is pretty solid. He liked my resume and was very friendly, not that I trust all I hear straight off the bat, but I have a pretty good knack for reading people and he sounds legit. He was the one who mentioned getting me a Class B, arborists license, etc.

Either way though, I am not the oldest bull on the hill, but I know what comes out the back end when I see it! I will be a humble rookie, but I won't be a disposable tool. I have done enough of that in my life.

Where r u located? Here is my advise there is always work find something to do! Look up look up look up a relatively small branch hurts a lot more then u think especially in your first days on the Job don't get mesmerized my the climber and his activities u have ur duties he has his and sometimes you just can't watch the cool things he's doing cause u need to drag brush

I'm in Maine, looking forward to the warm weather we should be getting next week to start work (could hit 40 on Tuesday!). Thanks for the advice about watching the climber. Again, these "obvious" things are the ones rookies usually miss and end up screwing the pooch as a result. I'm loving the perspective of guys who have hired dorks like me in the past.

Latest posts

Back