WHAT HAVE I DONE? Pros: tell me abot your new guys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<Good stuff thus far.
Mind the rope! Keep the rope away from running saws. Keep debris out of ropes. Dont walk on ropes. TRY to keep ropes out of mud.

<Good stuff thus far.
Mind the rope! Keep the rope away from running saws. Keep debris out of ropes. Dont walk on ropes. TRY to keep ropes out of mud.

My dad was an amateur rock climber/rappelling geek back along, and I had some formal training with dealing with ropes, although very little with the rigging aspect. I'll keep this in mind. I've been on a wall a few times, and trusting your life to a rope requires a lot of faith that it isn't f'ed up.

I will also avoid allowing rope (or anything besides wood) to enter the chipper.

Best thing u can do is pay attention, I run a crane 99% of my days the same guys been working there more then long enough to know better then to look at there feet all day. Today first pick comes down straight to the chipper not very big 3 guys playing grab ass don't see it coming down I'm looking right at them for 30 seconds before I said **** it (piece was tips down) I just set it right down on there dumb asses wonder what else I can do to teach um safety meeting don't work so we'll see. Another time I pick up the butt log from a 36" tree I had someone asking me something so I let go of the controls piece stops about 5 foot off the ground and the dumb ass doing the cut is walking in circles looking at the ground and walk right into it (still directly over the stump) I have to pick it close to 40 feet to get it over a tree right next to the one we removed so regardless he should not be under the piece being lifted by the crane but he bounces his face off it like 10 times while trying to yell at me how it's my fault I have it over him... no if u are under something it's your fault I can sit there and swing **** over u all day long if something falls and hits u its still your own fault as much as it is mine u are a grown man u are s responsible for your own safety

I agree about the knots but there is other stuff to learn a little more quickly. But this reminds me of a guy who used to work for me....good groundman, reliable, always knew what was going on but....he simply could not figure out the simplest knot that I wanted him to use to tie the fiberglass pole to my line. It used to irritate me to no end. When I tell you what kind of knot to use...there is a good reason for it...which I explained plenty of times. When I show you the same simple knot 30 times...that's about 29 times too many. When you've been here for 5 or 6 years, know everything about your job and still can't tie on the pole the way I want you to....there is no excuse for that. How hard is it?! When I need that pole...I usually need it right now! I don't have time to mess around with whatever 2nd grade knot you just invented. Do it the way I told you to do it. When I hired his replacement....one of the things I showed him on his first day was that knot. I showed him twice and asked if he could do it. He said "Yeah...no problem." and did it a few times. I said "Good. Don't ever forget how to do that!" Haven't had to show him since then.

I think knots are like mathematics, some people just can't conceptually see it no matter how much and how many ways you teach it. If the guy was a good worker except for that, I would have come up with some work around solution. What would you rather have a good worker who can't understand knots or a lazy ass worker who can tie every knot?

Before you start chipping or run a saw on the ground, let the climber know. He might not want you doing that at that particular time.
Before you walk into the work zone, let the climber know and wait for a response from him indicating its clear.
Before you pull a rope out of a tree, make sure there are no knots in it.
Before you leave the job site, walk it to make sure nothing was left behind.
Before you take lunch, ask your crew leader. My guys don't eat until I'm on the ground.
Before you go home, ask your boss if there is anything else that needs to be done.

I think knots are like mathematics, some people just can't conceptually see it no matter how much and how many ways you teach it. If the guy was a good worker except for that, I would have come up with some work around solution. What would you rather have a good worker who can't understand knots or a lazy ass worker who can tie every knot?

Well, I didn't can him over it or anything but tying your shoes is more complicated than this know is.

I'm hit or miss with knots usually. If you show me a certain way and I don't "get" what your saying I may be able to do it in front of you but then will soon forget. If I grasp the concept in my mind following my own mental process for tying the knot I'm usually good after that. Does that make any sense?

I've only been in the industry for about 3 yes (1.5 climbing) I feel like zale was right on the nose with his reply

I'm hit or miss with knots usually. If you show me a certain way and I don't "get" what your saying I may be able to do it in front of you but then will soon forget. If I grasp the concept in my mind following my own mental process for tying the knot I'm usually good after that. Does that make any sense?

If you stick with this job, you'll learn them along the way. Having a little "saying" as you tie each knot helps you remember them. I remember the guys who trained me would just drill stuff into my head...over and over and over. Not just knots but everything. I remember being taught my knots and my foreman telling me that he'll be satisfied when he thinks I can wake up from a dead sleep and tie them with my eyes closed. I remember testing on my knots with my eyes closed (because you never know when you might not be able to see for some reason). These days...after many years....I don't even think about how to tie knots. My hands have done them so many thousands of times that it's just muscle memory. My hands do it all by themselves.

Learning by repetition and regimented drill with acronyms and ditties until it becomes instinct. Yeah, I can do that ;)

Any ground man can learn a knot if his teacher is able to teach him.

I hope so. As it turns out I'll be mostly humping brush around anyway, the first week we'll be doing all bucket work and I am not sure how much rigging will be involved since I haven't seen the job area yet. Hopefully it'll be minor so I can get my feet wet without holding anything up.

Except that one guy who worked for me. And it wasn't just me. He was with me for 4 or 5 years but had 15-16 years experience.
Again, I'm no old salt, but seems to me a lack of skill with knots would explain why he had 15 years experience as a ground man.

Again, I'm no old salt, but seems to me a lack of skill with knots would explain why he had 15 years experience as a ground man.

I've known him since I was a teenager. In fact, I'm the one who made some phone calls to get him on his first crew. Heck of a good guy but just the kind of guy who wants no responsibility. He doesn't want to be in charge of anything or anyone and avoids conflict like the plague. He just wanted a job on the ground. I think I saw him go up in the bucket once in the entire time I worked with him. He went up about 15 feet and came back down. There is something in his head that makes him that way. I personally think it goes back years to the day he found his roommate/best friend in their apartment. He killed himself with a shotgun and I know that even seeing paint splattered a certain way will trigger memories for this guy. Something about him changed that day.

I'm a Scout leader and we practice knots with our kids all the time. And some of them still don't have a clue. I think it's like puzzles/rubic's cubes, some people can "see" the pattern and some people can't.

Back