WHAT HAVE I DONE? Pros: tell me abot your new guys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope so. As it turns out I'll be mostly humping brush around anyway, the first week we'll be doing all bucket work and I am not sure how much rigging will be involved since I haven't seen the job area yet. Hopefully it'll be minor so I can get my feet wet without holding anything up.
Will you be running rope?

Knot tying requires some 3 dimensional imagination. Do a search of "must know knots." Start by learning bowline. Practice with eyes closed. Practice while watching TV or some other distraction.

A tree service worksite can be a fully encompassing hazardous environment. Sometimes, you must take your eyes off one danger to address another. Above, below, and anything from a swinging limb to a spinning saw chain can come at ya from the sides or suddenly behind you. Climbers will say to always look up and watch them, but if you walk into ground run rigging, stumble into a coworker running a saw, get foot tangled in rig line going up, or forget where the in ground pool is, you'll be in trouble. Gotta watch climber for instruction, his safety, and to know when load is coming on above, but full SITUATIONAL AWARENESS needs to be developed. Evidently, you also need to look out for crane operators swatting ya with a pick rather than fire you.

I don't remember who it was but a guy on here years back coined a term for those types. Pile Pusher. Just keep raking that same pile over and over while every body else is busting hump. I've used it ever since!
Wasn't the term "Pile Polisher"?
One thing I hate is when there's lots of raking to do or wood to pick up and one guy thinks it's a good time to use the blower. 99% of the time the blower is the last thing to be used. The exception would be keeping the road clear for traffic. There's always something to do, I can't stand it when guys just stand around. Gas saws up, get ropes ready, move things out of the work zone (garbage cans, kids toys, grills), pull hangers, and even pick up small sticks if you have to.

I have no power to fire otherwise I would have fired at least half the guys that I work with if u have been told everyday for the last few years to pay attention if ur screwing around your gonna get it, sorry...
if u are walking behind a guy using a saw, if ur in reach of him turning around and catching u with the saw not so much if he's buried in a big log but if he's cutting up some brush, as u go behind him gently put Ur hand on his back one so he knows ur there two if he starts to whirl around u can push off

I have no power to fire otherwise I would have fired at least half the guys that I work with if u have been told everyday for the last few years to pay attention if ur screwing around your gonna get it, sorry...
if u are walking behind a guy using a saw, if ur in reach of him turning around and catching u with the saw not so much if he's buried in a big log but if he's cutting up some brush, as u go behind him gently put Ur hand on his back one so he knows ur there two if he starts to whirl around u can push off
Stay out of reach, period.

Wasn't the term "Pile Polisher"?
One thing I hate is when there's lots of raking to do or wood to pick up and one guy thinks it's a good time to use the blower. 99% of the time the blower is the last thing to be used. The exception would be keeping the road clear for traffic. There's always something to do, I can't stand it when guys just stand around. Gas saws up, get ropes ready, move things out of the work zone (garbage cans, kids toys, grills), pull hangers, and even pick up small sticks if you have to.
Haaaha! We had one guy that went beyond the " pile polisher"! I started to call him "wind song" because he would pick the blower up before the brush was gone.

If yor tired and you just want the job to be over, think of it like this. The job isn't done until THAT tree is in THOSE trucks, so keep getting it there. The sooner you do that the sooner you can go home.

If yor tired and you just want the job to be over, think of it like this. The job isn't done until THAT tree is in THOSE trucks, so keep getting it there. The sooner you do that the sooner you can go home.
Good advice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to get the work done ASAP so I can go home as opposed to waiting around since "we're gonna be here all day anyway".

Good news, going to be nearly 40 tomorrow! One less thing to worry about on a first day, and since I'll be up a little late tonight for the AFC game, the less misery at 5 in the morning the better.

As a new guy NEVER touch the blower!
first man to the blower syndrome eh? yep stay away from the cushy jobs there is a descending order of priority when it comes to tasks and you need to learn the order in which they occur and why fast. lurkers who take the easy job every time don't stay around for long ;)

Hitch pins stay on the truck not the trailer it drives me nutz when I grab a chipper truck go to grab a stumper or a different chipper and there is no pin on the truck but there are 10 pins wrapped around one of the chippers and it's probably not the one left in the yard...

Latest posts

Back