What have you traded for tree work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
At the end of a sub job for the power company, we scavenged some beautiful bits of Bermuda cedar from the undergrowth. They had fallen on a drop line to the local rectory (turned out the pastor went to school with my hubby a million years ago).
We took the logs (two 4'x 12") to the mill for a price to cut them to 1/2" planks for boat seats and transoms. We were all dressed in out fluorecent shirts and chainsaw gear, the mill boss pointed to a tree that had fallen up against the mill shop and was all over the roof...'how would I get that down?" he asked.
I'll do it for you right now I said, trade you for the milling and planing...
DEAL.
Done and dusted in about an hour and a half, off we went with over $1000 worth of lovely milled cedar!:heart:

I've been known to do tree work for a case of beer or lunch, just depends on who's asking. Seriously though I have a friend who is an electrician he did a bunch of work for me when I bought my house, I do work for him at his rental properties.
The most interesting thing was a 16 ft aluminium boat on a trailer. Looked like it hadn't been used in years I would have had to move it out of the way anyways. Took down a 20in dbh maple behind the garage and got $500 and the boat/trailer!

I got a nice 4-seat hot tub in exchange for felling a dead red oak that hung over the barn that the hot tub was stored in. Took a couple of hours. I have yet to get the hot tub hooked up--any day now...:buttkick:

Good Trade!

First post here, and had to share my good luck. About 4 mos ago I did about a 4 hour take down and 10 minute trim in exchange for this.

I think I did pretty good!!!!

I've been known to do tree work for a case of beer or lunch, just depends on who's asking. Seriously though I have a friend who is an electrician he did a bunch of work for me when I bought my house, I do work for him at his rental properties.
The most interesting thing was a 16 ft aluminium boat on a trailer. Looked like it hadn't been used in years I would have had to move it out of the way anyways. Took down a 20in dbh maple behind the garage and got $500 and the boat/trailer!

hey iv done the boat&trailer trade too, but small flat bottom 12 footer for taken off of a simple lead.over a cable line (was easy to un hook from house before drooped)....also have 28 foot 1984 camper traded for about 3 hrs of removals all brush stayed on sight:clap: cut one tree for a yr old homelite saw that i gave to my dad (the guy said he couldn't get it started..old man just changed the plug and wammo):greenchainsaw: I do alot of work for the local ski hill thats 5 miles from my house. If they call me up for a simple tree to just knock down usually under 10 minutes...not over 15 they know the protocol already they just hand me daily passes for the family +rental:hmm3grin2orange:
And the best of all i do all my parents tree work for trade........they gave me life:bowdown:

30' Norway Maple removal for a catered party of 25 people.
Small Box Elder removal, everything stayed, for handmade Soy candles
Prune Red Oak for 50 Gillette Fusion Razors
Norway Maple removal weekend stay at a ski cottage

I barter a lot of work. Sometimes its as good as money.

Did a few days pruning and removals in exchange for some track loader and backhoe work for a new garage. knocked 400 off a job for a hot tub.It winded up needing a bunch of work so I gave it away and bought a new one. knocked some money off a golf course job for a POS little truck,looks sorta like a golf cart.

I did a mornings pruning for a basket of 6 bottles of old Bordeaux my client brought back from France. The first 5 bottles were OK with spaghetti and such. The last one I gave to my brother in law, the lawyer and Oenophile.
He was shocked and aghast when I told him the story of how it came to him. He said that the one bottle he had would bring more than $800 if you could find one. I think he still has the label mounted in a frame.

Trade

Just recently I traded the removal of 4 med height cottonwood trees for a 1970 Ford F-250 Ranger XLT,one owner with only 50,000, count 'em,50,000 miles on the clock. 390 auto with factory front disc brakes(a $600 option in '70) a 1 Ton rear axle with not ONE thread of the interior out of place.e-Bay guess-timate about $7500-10,000.Any takers? Will deliver.

I had a woman once tell me that she had to leave and to stop by around 8pm to pick up the payment. So later I loaded the missus up and we headed over there. the gal opened the door wearing, well, not much. asked if I wanted to come in. I told her the wife in the car might get mad and asked if I could just get the check. funny that after all that she still had to write it out for me.
guess she was planning on a trade of sorts.

had another once come out in the am wearing a robe and told me to go ahead and get started. said her husband was out of town and she'd be in the house in bed if I wanted anything.

its funny how often stuff like that has happened over the years now that I think about it.

oh yeah, no, I never did, and if the wifes watching, I'll be right home after the meeting.....
-Ralph

I've had a few of the above mentioned myself.....I once dropped the top out of a big oak tree,then laid it down in trade for an 044 Stihl...That's about it for me....I also did a bunch of work for a guy who let me hunt on his property...It worked out well as the place was eat up with deer and never had been hunted..

Huh lets see. a 28' camper for 4 hrs worth of trim work Which is on the lake waiting for warm weather.3 months worth of money mailer advertising which ended up picking me up 50K in work.Another time 2 months of money mailer which netted similar results.Which we run a monthly add anyway. 2 Tractors,
an Engine lathe,A Allis Chalmers payloader,A Boat,A paint job on a truck,Excavator Rental,Traded some work with the filling station owner we use exclusively for a months fuel bill,Apple pie LOL,Free FFL Transfers and gunsmithing for life.Thats all that i can remember at the moment.

I just recently had my entire bathroom gutted and remodeled. for a years worth of mowing's and a tree removed about 1050.00 for my labor. It would have cost me 8,000 to do the bathroom. not bad.

i also recently traded a small trim for some bathroom renovations.....

cost me bout 150USD got a new toilet.cabinets,tile work and basically free snakin when ever needs done....more work to come aswell as a few jobs when he has things he needs done for his biz.

Trades

I once worked for my rent for about 4 months. An occasional saturday paid my way in a decent cottage in Carleton Place near Ottawa. In the same neighbourhood, I did a 4 hour job for the local resort/country bar/roadhouse on my street. They gave me free dinners about 3 times a week for months. Free food and rent at the same time is cool. I did a 2 hour removal(leave the brush) for an old riding lawnmower. My sister cut her 2 acre lawn with it for 2 years. Once I did 4 hrs. of big poplar climbing for my best friend's sister and brother in law. They served us all a beautifull gormet tenderloin dinner on their private deck 30 feet over their yard, backing onto the lake. Great jazz and excellent wine, imported beer, and fancy desert. Good times with my friends. Iv'e done small tree work in exchange for having a few sets of my chipper knives sharpened by a local machinist. Iv'e done tree work for my deisel mechanic to make sure my top kick passed it's E test, as well as other free maintenance. We continue to barter. I've accepted a chainsaw or two for tree work. After 15 years, I know that I really have to have money for my work, but SOMETIMES a trade off is nice(rarely)

Latest posts

Back