What have you traded for tree work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We Barter Quite a Bit here's What we've Gotten:

1. Equipment Parking (truck and chipper) at a Church for 3 hours of Tree Work a Month
  2. Jonsered 670 & a reel of Chain for 3 Hours of Pruining around a house....Saw was old when I got it and is still running. It Has Outlasted 2 other New-Bought Saws
  3. Finishwork on a Garage to Family Room Conversion for 5 hours tree work
  4. Hunting Permission
  5. Clausing Lathe with a boatload of accessories for 4 Flop-n-Dropped Robinea
  6. Saw Logs...Helped a friend who made the deal (never again, too much cash outlay and zero return)
  7. Canoe...well Almost, I'm trying to find someone with a Grumman Canoe they want to trade for work

Almost got a Shed...and if we had hit it it would have been mine! :cry:

Hey Chip!

Yes I did! Haven't had much opp to review them in detail though. Been working on Ad-Copy for the past week.

We got the loader home ok and discovered it was designed to be towed as it's own trailer! Need to get the tow-bar and tongue attachment and that will solve that problem.

Hope y'all didn't get the arctic air we've had.

Back on Topic:
  • Tapping rights to a sugar bush for cleaning the woods and leaving the wood for the owner
  • Romantic Weekend---I took down an oak for my 9 yo's Friends Family. The in turn took my 9yo daughter for a 4 day weekend. When I got Home it was MY wife that met me at the door in an open robe! :censored:
  • Child Care: Took Down a Silver maple and chipped the brush at a Day Care. We now get free before adn after school care for our 9yo as long as we want. We only need it 5 or 6 times a month, but when we do it is critical!
  • Miscellaneous Hand Tools from my Retired neighbor. He's into antiques adn finds "Tree Doctor" Stuff He gives me. I try to pay him, he won't accept. So, I do a little tree work for him every few months, especially after a big wind prunes his pines.

This fall I traded this light fixture for trimming up this beautiful burr oak. All of the trimming was from the ground with pole saws. Took me about 4 hours, and the light was worth about $350 retail. Now the fixture lights up my dinning room like a champ.

All of this tree service barter action is interesting as all get out! Thanks folks

I forgot my most obvious one...

We rent a space for parking my van and our boat (we live on an island, commute by boat every day) $100 a month. Did over $500 tree work for our 'landlord' and now have five months rental in kind!:greenchainsaw:

I fell, cut inot 16 inch rounds 2 100 ft White pine fro a campgruond owner it was a easy job safe . plenty of room . In less than 4 hours were down limbed . and into 16 blocks I limbed the things Then . he had his sawpout cutting what it could handle a Husky 455 rancher and yes it works no problem
I got a hsuky 3120 with 306 inch bar on it and two nice chaions a full chisle and a semi chisle . and a ripping chain for my 3/8 saws ! . I went out and bought the 455 . I now have a good client in the deal
So sometimes maybe alot , a barter works .Barteting was once pow our ecnomy qorked . i kind of like it at times oh no reporting any thing

I wish more would o it onoccasion . . In fact my guess it it that is allready going on. I will work for something if it is fair .
<. I think alot of folks will do something like you fix my PC ill do X . with teecononmy ion the mess it isiin not a polititical statement a obsrvation every thing from deby to a stock market that is isscared of every possible risk they do not oknow wht to do Um K stteek that is called takinga riusk i have ot od so can they /.

Now I am having ideas fora 385 / 390

I fell, cut inot 16 inch rounds 2 100 ft White pine fro a campgruond owner it was a easy job safe . plenty of room . In less than 4 hours were down limbed . and into 16 blocks I limbed the things Then . he had his sawpout cutting what it could handle a Husky 455 rancher and yes it works no problem
I got a hsuky 3120 with 306 inch bar on it and two nice chaions a full chisle and a semi chisle . and a ripping chain for my 3/8 saws ! . I went out and bought the 455 . I now have a good client in the deal
So sometimes maybe alot , a barter works .Barteting was once pow our ecnomy qorked . i kind of like it at times oh no reporting any thing

I wish more would o it onoccasion . . In fact my guess it it that is allready going on. I will work for something if it is fair .
<. I think alot of folks will do something like you fix my PC ill do X . with teecononmy ion the mess it isiin not a polititical statement a obsrvation every thing from deby to a stock market that is isscared of every possible risk they do not oknow wht to do Um K stteek that is called takinga riusk i have ot od so can they /.

Now I am having ideas fora 385 / 390

um, english?:hmm3grin2orange:

ive never understood the trading... well, to a point. if i NEED something fixed, like on the house or something, i could see doing the work in trade... but, for the most part i just dont look to trade work for anything.

my father and brother do that all the time though... however many hours worth of work, for things they usually never even end up using

my bank doesnt accept used canoes, bobsleds, boats, or anything else expect cash as payment, and neither do i. i need to find more hot female customers though:laugh:

Trades

I had a woman once tell me that she had to leave and to stop by around 8pm to pick up the payment. So later I loaded the missus up and we headed over there. the gal opened the door wearing, well, not much. asked if I wanted to come in. I told her the wife in the car might get mad and asked if I could just get the check. funny that after all that she still had to write it out for me.
guess she was planning on a trade of sorts.

had another once come out in the am wearing a robe and told me to go ahead and get started. said her husband was out of town and she'd be in the house in bed if I wanted anything.

its funny how often stuff like that has happened over the years now that I think about it.

oh yeah, no, I never did, and if the wifes watching, I'll be right home after the meeting.....
-Ralph

If she said something about "Hooking up".. I don't think she wants to gaff a tree!

Once had a hanger on woman wanting a stump gone i got the feeling she wanted more than just her stump ground,She gave me a BBBJ that was ok then she turned up at my house with a nice platter of food and a bottle of whiskey still ok,ringing me a week later not ok.I high balled the stump job i did for her and got the $$$$ all in all a good deal.

A freind another tree climber swapped a job with lady that was a cook in the navy,i would hate to think how easy she was on the ship.

Swapped part of a job for a 2100 husky,another for security screen doors,concreting,mechanical work,plenty of beer,swapped woodchips for a fishing charter(lots of chips)

Yep, will work for beer on occasion, sometimes it's just worth it. Last year, I traded some work for a nice little car. Well worth it and the time, but it has got to be a good deal to become interested in the first place. Also depends who's asking.

Last edited:
barder

we took down 2, 28" dbh ash trees for a guy. he wanted to save some money so he just wanted them on the groud. when i came down off the second tree he asked if i had any kids. as a matter of fact i do . well he just moved in the house and the previous owner left his kids play set. so we made a deal he would take the playset apart if i cut the bigger wood into fire place lenghth. then he helped us load it into the back of the chip truck. dad was a super hero for a day! nice:laugh:

Sea Kayak and a.44 magnum

I went to look at a sea Kayak a lady had for sale when iI lived in Alaska,I commented that her Briches could do with a nice bit of Pruning.Three hours later I left with the Kayak and the revolver she once used when camping for Bear protection."Well without the boat,I won't need this" she said,handing me the revolver as I left.
Gotta love the big AK

Its called Contra

Well, I was asked for an estimate for a large Hotel Chain, the GM kindly read the written estimate which I had priced rather high just because well you know they have lots of extra leaves. She says would you consider Contra? I said what is a contra? she replies we trade your work for say some accomodation. I says, well how much do you charge per night and she says 165.00, so I said what do you have in mind? She proposed we trade ten nights for say 1000.00 reduction on the invoice, I said sure thing. Now the Hotel has an indoor pool and restaurant and all kinds of good stuff, so I worked there on and off usually on FRIDAYS and worked late of course. So I had to stay, pretty cool having a room there I really enjoyed working there and more recently I have been asked to return. But I am kind of thinking I would rather have the payment in full.

I did some work for a vintage 74 arabian century Vdrive skiboat.....It has a big chevy 454 in it....All I do is sink money into this thing and I still have yet to get it up to running condition...I call it the USS neversail

I deadwooded a small pine tree (20 feet tall) for a down home country meal of fried free range chicken legs ( fried in cast iron pan), with homemade buttermilk biscuits, potato salad, and egg salad sandwiches, topped off with homemade blackberry pie and ice cream.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Traded 2 hrs of trimming today for a 93 Chevy S-10.Had a Crate engine installed by the local chevy dealer 55,000 miles ago.Runs Great!

Back