what is the BEST ALL TIME FIREWOOD SAW?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best ALL time firewood saw

• Total voters
I think it really depends a lot on what you typically cut. When I cutting lots of little elm or small branches, a 50-60cc saw is about right. It cuts pretty fast while not having to worry about it bogging down. And the weight isn't bad either. But if I'm getting firewood that I plan to split (just got a log splitter last year and love it), then the 272xp for the smaller stuff and the 394xp for oak over 15" diameter or maple over 20". I thought the 394 would mostly sit around except on the biggest of oaks and locusts, but it's VERY handy and I use it a lot. The weight is easily offset by the cutting speed so I actually get less tired using it than my smaller saws (51, 55, 257, 455, 65, 028 stihl). Sure it wears me out in about 2 hours, but I find my pile of firewood is bigger than after 3 hours with a smaller saw. Sooo, I'm gonna vote for best all around as the previously mentioned 562xp if you cut soft wood or smaller hard wood. 576xp or bigger for hardwood and wood big enough to use a log splitter on it.

This is of course impossible to answer, and there are a lot of different firewood logs around, and it will very a lot which work is included in "firewood cutting".....:msp_biggrin:

Yep!
attachment.php

Sorry guys, the poll only allowed 10 choices... I thought the die hard husky guys wanted the 372 and Xtorque seperate. I have one of each and am starting to really like that XT alot.

There are a ton of good saws that should be on the list, the 028, the 031, the Husky 50/51/55 series that ran for what 25years? What about the legendary 262xp? prolly more firewood people bought the 261 as the xp was alot of money in its day. Yes the XL's, and the XXV's need to be on there too.

I grew up running a 70cc saw as an only firewood saw, when I was 18 bought two 65cc 365's huskys with 18" bars. I worked for a tree service in my hometown and the boss bought new saws every year as a tax writeoff. The deal was i had to buy both for 450 bucks. I only wanted one.. lol I didn't know a 50cc saw could be a good saw until finding this place. Maybe I'm not the norm, but I was taught at an early age to buy quality tools once and to take care of them. I still have that one 365 abiet it is a ported 372 now. the other one got sold so i could pick up a super low hour 2012 372xp. between those two saws, I don't NEED anything else.

My uncle and grandfather ran 046's with 20" bars as thier firewood saws. I like my husky better at the age when I was cutting with them a bunch. Most of the saws in the area were either the throw away cheap 40cc saws or 046's. I was the oddball with hus-k varn-y saws..

That's my pick for best firewood saw, and its the one I use the most, the Husqvarna 262XP.:rock:

Dang, I wish the boys would hire something that looked like that for the firewood op, I could overlook any saw she was using!

Let me know if you ever need a cpl bars. I can get a b/c combo new es 3/8 .050 20" 25" 28" for less than $100 for sure.

thanks

I about had a cow when I seen the guide bar. Frankenstang has got some class. I'll sit and watch the true all time champ, the 044/440 take a two to one beating in this poll simply because the guys fueling it are voting for another 70 cc class saw. It is the only class of saw that will do everything you need in the firewood biz. I've took out many 60" plus oaks with a 70 cc chainsaw. Thanks for the poll.

:msp_biggrin:

This is of course impossible to answer, and there are a lot of different firewood logs around, and it will very a lot which work is included in "firewood cutting".....:msp_biggrin:

yes sawtroll you are correct around here a 70cc with a 20" and around 90cc with a 24" is just enough

husky 575 strato

over the years i've used a lot of great saws to heat my home. i thought i'd settled on the makita 6401 with a big bore kit but now i'm going to have to "write in" the husky 575. it has enuff power and torque, and a wide power band. if you want to fill your f250 above cab level before lunch, you need a saw with lots of huevos and a couple of sharp chains.

395xp for me, Aus wood's Big & Hard .... Cut / loaded and back home drinking a cold beer in no time. :givebeer:

Very general question.20 years ago when all trees were 20" and larger a 346 would've been laughed at , 288xp was the tool:D.Now that I don't get enough strength exercise 288 only comes out for the butt.I know , you guys will tell me how 50cc is the ultimate but hey, any idiot can run those.Some of us still need an extension :confident:Go big or go home:msp_biggrin:

If I only kept one saw it would be my 660. Not too heavy. Could take place of my 084 and 7901. Even my 009. Isn't one thing I could not do mwith that saw from 3-4 inch limbs to 40 inch logs and above. 20 25 28 36 inch bars.

But of course I have more then one saw...

Latest posts

Back