What is the best Climbing Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muff mod and porting will really wake a 192 up. It will feel like a different saw.

It really depends on the work done to the 192, but it could easily be made comparable to a stock 200, and even a little better.

That does not answer the question of long term durability, which is likely to be lower with the 192. Hard to say for sure, I've got a 192 that I've climbed with regularly for two years. That is longer than some guys I know get out of a 200 with similar use. All that shows is that you should take care of a saw. They beat their saws up; sad but true.

My 192 came with a fully adjustable carb.

Mr. HE:cool:

i haveven't had any problems with reliability.

Muff mod and porting will really wake a 192 up. It will feel like a different saw.

It really depends on the work done to the 192, but it could easily be made comparable to a stock 200, and even a little better.

That does not answer the question of long term durability, which is likely to be lower with the 192. Hard to say for sure, I've got a 192 that I've climbed with regularly for two years. That is longer than some guys I know get out of a 200 with similar use. All that shows is that you should take care of a saw. They beat their saws up; sad but true.

My 192 came with a fully adjustable carb.

i notice it runs great if you set the carb right.

I use a 200t it replaced my 192 and that replaced my 250. Will never do without the 200t again. The 250 is a good cheap saw and makes an excellent limb dragger saw when you upgrade. I dont let the help use the good saw, seeing as no one can figure out how to keep it out of the dirt. the 192 is ok but if you want to be happy with do not even look at the 200t.​

Shirley you jest!

I've run the MS 880 up in an oak tree, 41" bar buried, sink the bar in and cut, reposition on the ropes, sink the bar in again, three 'bites' each for the top and bottom of the face cut. Back cut was four. That spar shook like a rock star on stage when that chunk hit the ground.

I would be just as happy to never do it again. My arms hurt, my legs hurt, my back hurt. Handling that saw really did feel dangerous in the tree.

Medal deserved.
At the very least a mention in dispatches.

Oh and by the way stop calling me Shirley :cry:

Just contacted my local Stihl dealer and they have both the 192 and 200. Going to lay my hands on them and get the feel. Probably end up biting the bullet and going with the 200. Last thing I want is another lackluster climbing saw that makes for more work on my part.

Thanx for all the info!

Just contacted my local Stihl dealer and they have both the 192 and 200. Going to lay my hands on them and get the feel. Probably end up biting the bullet and going with the 200. Last thing I want is another lackluster climbing saw that makes for more work on my part.

Thanx for all the info!

That's the attitude! If you can, do it right the first time (200t). The 200t isn't the best feeling saw, but it cuts extremely well and the build construction is superb. I like the feel of the huskies though and the newest one is supposed to be a very nice runner.

hu27bl.jpg
:yoyo: tom trees

Used to be a fella on this forum from NYC that only used 385,390 and 395 to climb with.
He'd do the small stuff with a ported 200T and chunk the spar down with big ported saws.
He once bought a 7900 and had it ported but sold it because it wasn't fast enough.

It's sittin in my garage as my big saw:laugh:

Medal deserved.
At the very least a mention in dispatches.

Oh and by the way stop calling me Shirley :cry:

Thanks, you would think so, but the guy I worked for at the time wanted to know why that one cut took 30 mins. He said "With that saw I'd have made that cut in like five minutes, up in a tree maybe ten; I have big saws so people don't waste time." I just told him that if he was so good he would have been up in the tree making the cut and not standing on the ground looking at his watch. I quit a couple of months later.

I wish I had pictures of it, but the guy took all of them and never did send them to me like he promised.
Oh well, here's to the bad bosses we used to work for.:buttkick:

Used to be a fella on this forum from NYC that only used 385,390 and 395 to climb with.
He'd do the small stuff with a ported 200T and chunk the spar down with big ported saws.
He once bought a 7900 and had it ported but sold it because it wasn't fast enough.

It's sittin in my garage as my big saw:laugh:

Is it a older red top 7900 from Kftree?

Last edited:
SNIP

The MS200T is a much more explosive saw...throttle response is excellent...cuts extremely fast...tons of power for a small saw.

The only thing I've noticed about mine that I don't like is that it runs hot....might be that I'm running it a little too hard though.

Yeah, a climber friend also says they run hot. He uses two of them, swaps saws at lunch, says they last a lot longer that way.

Jack

get the 200t first!

Thanx for all the info!

if you find it to be overkill,you can get the 192 later.

Tomtrees, have you hung the phone up yet?

Back