What older model chainsaw has the most durable engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chalk this one up into the who gives a chite category. Those old boat anchors are no longer made, parts are in most cases rare or none existent and the new stuff is just better.
Well respectfully, the feeling is mutual about your useless snipe. And there are several pages of people who do give a “chite” enough to share their experiences at least. Newer stuff being better is not the point of this thread, actually it’s quite irrelevant. If you don’t like it you don’t have to take part either.

Ok , back to chainsaws . Just a little inside info , not sure if anyone on this thread has met or had work done by Huskihl (Kevin). As advised , have a liking of old school saw Manufacturers . I just recently had Kevin woods port my 7900Prez2 . A very gracious & down to earth individual , with an abundance of saw knowledge . Anyhow , awesome work at a very reasonable price , so anyone needing saw upgrades Kevin should be a serious consideration , when I purchase my new 6100 Dolkita , Huskihl will be getting some repeat customer work !
Tell me more about this guy. Would he be willing to port my 245a or my 480cd? Or maybe soup up my Mcculloch 87cc big blocks?

There are quite a few older models that keep up just fine with their modern counterparts.
Most of the modern features are nothing more then creature comforts. Honestly btw people talked about 372s and 044s I'd thought they'd cure cancer! But honestly a well cared for McCulloch 7-10 doesn't have a hard time keeping up with them.
Longevity is really the point of the story here though and old saws didn't get there by being poorly built.
When I was 12 years old my dad bought a used Mc-250, I cut firewood with it until I graduated from high school, that was 52 years ago. I still have it and it still runs great for what it is. If all else fails it still starts and run even if it takes a little gas down the carb. I have used it off and on for decades. I have a few other old saws that probably would run also but as of the past ten years I’ve been using a Ms391, 440 Husky and a Chinese Neotec 5800. Anymore I hire some local young men to help me out with firewood but I cut it down and skid it to my woodshed and help the boys stack it up.

When I was 12 years old my dad bought a used Mc-250, I cut firewood with it until I graduated from high school, that was 52 years ago. I still have it and it still runs great for what it is. If all else fails it still starts and run even if it takes a little gas down the carb. I have used it off and on for decades. I have a few other old saws that probably would run also but as of the past ten years I’ve been using a Ms391, 440 Husky and a Chinese Neotec 5800. Anymore I hire some local young men to help me out with firewood but I cut it down and skid it to my woodshed and help the boys stack it up.
Long live the ugly powerhouse named Mickey Mcculloch! 250lbs of torque and no nonsense.

I own quite a few older saws as does my brother. We've been cutting firewood yearly since the mid 1970's. Both of us went down our own paths purchasing and using saws available to us from then until now. So many have came and went over the years but both of us still have two in our stables that have withstood the test of time, the Husqvaran 480CD.

Not the most powerful by any standards, or the lightest, or the best ergonomics, or anti-vibe either. They are just very well made and tough as nails. Mine has at least a zillion hours on it being my main go-to saw from 1980 to around 2000. It still sees use today but I'm more fond of lighte and faster saws in my older years.

To date the only repairs that have been done to my 480CD are a tank vent, shut off switch, and brazing the end of the throttle linkage to the shaft when it deveoped too much "slop" back and forth. It's never had a fuel line or carb kit put in it and still going strong, fires right up after sitting for weeks or months, and runs as good as the day it was purchased. It's outfitted with a 28" bar with full skip chain and these days only sees use when I get into the big logs.
Husqvarna 480 003.jpgHusqvarna 480 002.jpg

Exactly like mine, but since your decal survived and mine turned into dust, i’m jealous. lol!

As far as power and torque, yes they do have a pretty decent deal of it, and they can do pretty much everything you ask them to do quite well, but they’ll never win any races. For a saw that size and weight, it really should be rocking an engine bigger than 77cc’s.

I’d like to mod the muffler on mine or get a better custom muffler. That should pep it up some.

I could care less If Bobhedgecutter doesn’t like Nagants. Probably couldn’t own one in New Zealand anyway. Nagant’s harder hitting and more accurate than a .303 ever was with clean ammo. Sure they’re ugly but ww1 and 2 were not beauty pageants. And I’d much rather own 12 Nagants than one Enfield. Any rational person would…especially if they were Remington octagonal receiver ones. Wait. I stand corrected. I’d walk over 12 Nagants if they were all broken. That being said, I do like Enfield rifles too. Actually quite a bit! And their cousin the Eddystone. All rifles from the world wars are some of my Al time faves, including ENFIELDS!
At one time I shot in a vintage service rifle league. The hot rifle for this was a Finnish Sako Nagant.
With that said the Springfield was a much more refined rifle than any of those mentioned thus far. And when sporterized makes for a fine hunting rifle.

It allows faster cutting within smaller cube saws & quicker sharpening in the field . On larger commercial saws with longer than 36 " bars it really makes cutting more efficient & smoother cutting for the operator !
I run skip chain with a 25" bar on my 400C. No doubt in my mind it cuts slower than with full comp. It also cuts rougher.
I run it because it cuts plenty fast in our softwood and it's much faster to sharpen a loop in the field.
If was still in the upper midwest cutting hardwood I would run full comp.

It’s been mentioned earlier before if i’m not mistaken. Refer to the last several pages and you’ll kinda get the drift. Pretty much late 60’s to the 90’s right before Husqvarna/Electrolux bought out all the companies they did and turned excellent names into garbage homeowner saws.

Thanks!

At one time I shot in a vintage service rifle league. The hot rifle for this was a Finnish Sako Nagant.
With that said the Springfield was a much more refined rifle than any of those mentioned thus far. And when sporterized makes for a fine hunting rifle.
Without a doubt the springfield was a better made weapon as far as precision quality control. The Springfield 1903 is like a trophy wife.
The nagant is like that low maintenance, lower end blue collar but pretty hot, half serious half not so serious acquaintance that we’ve all known in between real relationships.

Without a doubt the springfield was a better made weapon as far as precision quality control. The Springfield 1903 is like a trophy wife.
The nagant is like that low maintenance, lower end blue collar but pretty hot, half serious half not so serious acquaintance that we’ve all known in between real relationships.
So your saying a Nagant is like a beat up road whore that will work in a pinch? I can go along with that!

Back