What older model chainsaw has the most durable engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly like mine, but since your decal survived and mine turned into dust, i’m jealous. lol!

As far as power and torque, yes they do have a pretty decent deal of it, and they can do pretty much everything you ask them to do quite well, but they’ll never win any races. For a saw that size and weight, it really should be rocking an engine bigger than 77cc’s.

I’d like to mod the muffler on mine or get a better custom muffler. That should pep it up some.
Personally I would take a 90's husky or Stihl in that order over some old junk from the 60's and 70's.

Personally I would take a 90's husky or Stihl in that order over some old junk from the 60's and 70's.
Well, there were definitely good saws as well as junk saws during the 90’s too. Quite a few of them. Suzy Homemaker box store saws really started exploding during the 90’s.

I think Stihl’s and Husky’s from the 70’s and 80’s were some pretty darned solid saws too.. Wouldn’t win too many races but were very strong and could last, i’ve got several from that era that are still holding strong.

Which of the 60’s and 70’s saws do you feel were junk? If you can, please provide a bit of elaboration.

Thanks!

Well, there were definitely good saws as well as junk saws during the 90’s too. Quite a few of them. Suzy Homemaker box store saws really started exploding during the 90’s.

I think Stihl’s and Husky’s from the 70’s and 80’s were some pretty darned solid saws too.. Wouldn’t win too many races but were very strong and could last, i’ve got several from that era that are still holding strong.

Which of the 60’s and 70’s saws do you feel were junk? If you can, please provide a bit of elaboration.

Thanks!
All of them. Heavy tanks with poor AV.
Homeowner saws were a thing even in the 80's. I can't recall before that because I was too young.

All of them. Heavy tanks with poor AV.
Homeowner saws were a thing even in the 80's. I can't recall before that because I was too young.
All of them is definitely a bold statement, especially because of small features like anti vibe and a little more weight. I rarely ever see newer saws lasting as long, even the professional ones. The durability factor doesn’t seem to be as pronounced in newer ones that i’ve seen and used. Sure they are faster and more comfy, but that’s digressing into preference…to each their own, i’m not gonna knock you for your preferences. But this conversation isn’t about that really. This thread is actually more about how durability of older saws, and which ones you remember being the most durable in your years. It’s not as much about how user friendly they are, or older vs newer or all the comfy features.

I’m not attacking saying any of this, i am perfectly fine with you preferring what you do. There are a number of newer saws i’d personally prefer nowadays over older ones too. I’m just saying that preference from old versus newer is for another conversation that i was planning on starting as soon as this blazingly hot weather finally passes!

All of them is definitely a bold statement, especially because of small features like anti vibe and a little more weight. I rarely ever see newer saws lasting as long, even the professional ones. The durability factor doesn’t seem to be as pronounced in newer ones that i’ve seen and used. Sure they are faster and more comfy, but that’s digressing into preference…to each their own, i’m not gonna knock you for your preferences. But this conversation isn’t about that really. This thread is actually more about how durability of older saws, and which ones you remember being the most durable in your years. It’s not as much about how user friendly they are, or older vs newer or all the comfy features.

I’m not attacking saying any of this, i am perfectly fine with you preferring what you do. There are a number of newer saws i’d personally prefer nowadays over older ones too. I’m just saying that preference from old versus newer is for another conversation that i was planning on starting as soon as this blazingly hot weather finally passes!
I think inferring reliability based on examples from that area still being around is problematic. If they where ran professionally they have long since died.
Then there are things with the old saws like ignition that are much less reliable than the old stuff.
To put it another way. Given the choice, if I could by an old Homelite or Mac brand new and a 3xx series husky or 0xx series Stihl the choice is pretty easy for me.

I think inferring reliability based on examples from that area still being around is problematic. If they where ran professionally they have long since died.
Then there are things with the old saws like ignition that are much less reliable than the old stuff.
To put it another way. Given the choice, if I could by an old Homelite or Mac brand new and a 3xx series husky or 0xx series Stihl the choice is pretty easy for me.
Well like i said, i don’t knock anything about your preferences. As far as a saw being professionally run, for extended amounts of time, there are plenty of testimonials throughout the pages of this conversation supporting the durability of older saws till this day.

Did you come here to criticize this thread and talk down about how wrong all of us are? All we are doing is just sharing experiences on the best luck we have had with what older saws were the most durable and lasted over the years. Nothing more. I’m not trying to do the old versus new argument.

Please do not take what i am saying is me being defensive, this thread is just meant to remember more interesting and simpler times in our lives when we were out cutting wood.

Well like i said, i don’t knock anything about your preferences. As far as a saw being professionally run, for extended amounts of time, there are plenty of testimonials throughout the pages of this conversation supporting the durability of older saws till this day.

Did you come here to criticize this thread and talk down about how wrong all of us are? All we are doing is just sharing experiences on the best luck we have had with what older saws were the most durable and lasted over the years. Nothing more. I’m not trying to do the old versus new argument.

Please do not take what i am saying is me being defensive, this thread is just meant to remember more interesting and simpler times in our lives when we were out cutting wood.
What I am saying is some people view the past with rose colored glasses. The good old days aren't always good as people remember them.

I have no choice but to love old saws.... almost all my saws are old!
The problem with the heavy old non-anti vibe saws with no muffling is after a day of cutting your deaf, numb, and tired. But for a reliable saw I'd grab one of my 10-10's as fast as I'd grab any new saw.
Then you have an excuse to not have to humor anything that the nagging wife says! 😂

My vote is for older / ancient Stihl's. My 028 (40+ years old) is still my go to saw and my 090 and 075 run well too. All in how you maintain them. A used and abused old saw is just that. My 028 is on it's 3rd bar now and who knows how many chains and drive sprockets.

I like that! As far as what I like, is that I appreciate any saw old or new, if it’s built to last and serves us well. But the majority of my saws happen to be older too. I only said that earlier because there have been a few people come along trashing this thread because they hate all older saws and think they are all junk, and they’re offering nothing of any real value to the conversation, and then steering it off topic. If they hate older saws, this is not the thread for them.

The assertion that all old saws are junk is just short sighted and even ignorant in some aspects. They came to this thread missing the point of the whole thing. All I want to know is which older saws in the past people may have had the best experience with as far as its durability and reliability.

Or if their claims that all saws are junk is true, they sure did happen make junk that was really built to last back then versus today’s completely disposable junk that could easily been built with cheap communist labor and parts, but bear a made in USA or made in Germany or Sweden manufacturing plaque.

I like that! As far as what I like, is that I appreciate any saw old or new, if it’s built to last and serves us well. But the majority of my saws happen to be older too. I only said that earlier because there have been a few people come along trashing this thread because they hate all older saws and think they are all junk, and they’re offering nothing of any real value to the conversation, and then steering it off topic. If they hate older saws, this is not the thread for them.

The assertion that all old saws are junk is just short sighted and even ignorant in some aspects. They came to this thread missing the point of the whole thing. All I want to know is which older saws in the past people may have had the best experience with as far as its durability and reliability.

Or if their claims that all saws are junk is true, they sure did happen make junk that was really built to last back then versus today’s completely disposable junk that could easily been built with cheap communist labor and parts, but bear a made in USA or made in Germany or Sweden manufacturing plaque.
Just as short sighted and ignorant that new saws arnt built as well as old saws....

Back