What older saw do you like to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was all set to buy a Husky 395 this spring when I stumbled across one of my Stihl 056 supers. I had forgotten that it had been pretty much rebuilt from crank to cylinder. What should be done with two that are almost identical as one has a 32'' bar and the other a 28''. So a couple of weeks latter and some spring tune ups they got put to the test. The most important thing for me is chain speed as they are slower then my Huskies. In the dry larger logs they perform much better in that they are a little more gentle on the chains. But they are noticeably more heavy. For me this is a good thing as they do not get used for limb work. It is more safe for me to throw around a 056 in that they can not be tossed around so easily so my planning is a little more precise. The newer saws do the limb work better. As it turns out they are very economical to operate. Parts can be found cheap and easy for them. They get 4 stars plus. Thanks

Every once in a while, I break out my 268xp that I bought new in the 80's ?.

standard.jpg

but this 55, it get's used all the time,

standard.jpg

One of these days I'm going to get out my Pro Mac 55, that I bought new in the 70's. It was my first NEW saw...

SR

Not that old but my McCulloch SE3420 (PM605) is still run regularly. It's got to have A/V and a chain brake or I'm not interested. The saw is dead solid reliable and an effective tool, with quite good power for the displacement. It's one of my 2 saws with a 24" bar, the largest I have, or typically ever need.

I like to run my old 306A and my 60cc poulan 3450's, 3750's and 3500's. I know....their junk because their green.

Red super xl neighbor bought it new early 70s he said.its never made it to the third pull it always starts cuts great just loud and i use a 028 super barn find all the time.

I only run older saws, if you read my sig. My favorite is my first, a late '70s 041 FB. 10 years of steady service. It has flush cut a lot of stumps. Only things it's ever needed was fuel lines, clutch and a carb kit.

IMG_2134.JPG

My favorite older saw by far is the 480CD. Currently I have a 30" bar on it, and have been using it to take down some HUGE Ash trees. Took down a dozen of them this morning, it never grumbled once. Yes, it's a bit heavy, and slow, but very smooth and TONS of mid-range power. It doesn't even think about stalling against the clutch, even when you push it pretty hard, so it makes a great saw for taking down big trees......CliffHusqvarna 480 002.jpg

Back