What porting tools are you using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys,

getting ready for a few saw builds, and am a bit new to the saw world

(not new to engine building.... ported MANY a 4-stroke, and some 2 stroke dirt bike, banshee, etc)

I wanna see what you guys use for tools... please :cheers:

and what you use where for attachments...

my main tool is this:
attachment.php

accepts 1/4" tools!

i'd love to get a 90 deg attachment for it, but have NO IDEA where to look... i guess there's one for the smaller dremel, but i do not own one ( i might need to buy more tools!!!

also, what to you use to get through the chrome? do you hit this spot 1st?

Thanks!! :biggrinbounce2:

I'm using the same shaft-drive Dremel I started with. It's still going, but I think the bushings are getting a little worn. Where did you buy your Dremel? I've not seen one that large. Looks like a Foredom.

I'm using the same shaft-drive Dremel I started with. It's still going, but I think the bushings are getting a little worn. Where did you buy your Dremel? I've not seen one that large. Looks like a Foredom.

really? so a 'little' guy? damn Brad, with all the porting you do! :jawdrop: that's a testament to the durability, that's for sure.

well, saws are small, when your building race v-8's it take a bit more tool.

it's 1/3HP, just like a foredom, but was considerably less ( i think i paid under 200 with discounts and a coupon)

Sears catalog, actually, bout 10 yrs ago

i have 1/8, 3/16 & 1/4" collets, so i can use my larger carbides. makes QUICK work of intake and exhaust.

do you have a 90 for your dremel?

really? so a 'little' guy? damn Brad, with all the porting you do! :jawdrop: that's a testament to the durability, that's for sure.

Yup! It's a model 400 XPR. It's the bushing's in the shaft handpiece that may have some wear in the bushings, but it's still working fine for now. My local Lowes has replacement marked down to about half price. Even still, I'd rather spend that money on a Foredom. The need just hasn't dictated it yet though.

brad, i thought you bought a foredom. i remember you asking some questions.

I did some homework, but still haven't had to buy one yet. The Dremel just won't die and still does a good job. I think I'll buy the talbe top unit when I do buy. I guess that's just what I'm used too with the Dremel head laying on the table.

Last edited:
The tool on the right is the Foredom handpiece. The one on the left is from C&C Specialty Tools.

033.jpg

032.jpg

030.jpg

Jump right in there J!

I use a foredom, dremel, and a router:greenchainsaw:

Where's Al!?! We're dealing with a 371 right here.

I'm a newbee to the porting and had a similar thread a while back. I got a lot of great responses. I use a 1/4" air die grinder for roughing out the exhaust and lower transfers. It works quick! Then I use a flex shaft Dremel to do the finish grinding and some polishing. I use the Dremel diamond cut off wheels to do the uppers. Most of the cutters I use are the double cut carbide. For polishing, I found sandpaper on a wooden dowel seems to work the best.

I forget what it cost; I think it was under $300, but not by much, maybe $289 or something like that.

I hit the limit with it last weekend trying to open up the transfers on my Solo637 top handle saw. I was hoping to be able to angle it in there, but the bore is just too small.

Last edited:
Do you need a 90 degree attachment?

Never ported , but interested.
Can you do it with a straight shaft tool from outside of cylinder or need
another tool?

Never ported , but interested.
Can you do it with a straight shaft tool from outside of cylinder or need
another tool?

The only thing you use the angle for is the upper transfers.
Others get away with using A Oxide wheels etc to get the uppers around to the inlet more. This is OK but doesn't do the job as complete as a right or contra angle.

Latest posts

Back