What porting tools are you using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right now my only tool is my computer. i use it to find out about porting and i used it to find the fella that may be doing my port work for me. but eventually i hope to learn enough to be able to try it on my own some day. big thanks to everyone on the site for helping me take steps toward my goal!

When things get serious...

jackhammer.gif

:hmm3grin2orange:

AL...hmm. Looks familiar!! lol.

I'd presume your 'experienced' with that tool? Do you only use it for uppers?

this is the unit that i'd need to make some simple 'mods' to the shank of the bit? (1/8" ???)

What type of bits would one use for this? (or what would you suggest for a 'template' to mod the reg bits to fit?

Thanks...

:cheers:

Jay

Yeah mate, it's the tool I use for the uppers. I don't use the straight piece much as the dremel is still working fine.

The bit's are a "RA" type 2.35mm.

I haven't chased any up as yet so have just modified my own.

A-RA42_100px.jpg

I must get my butt in to gear and post a pic of the bits I modified as per my promise to Chevytown.

Here is my latest addition in the grinding equipment I got,my father has retired as a dental technician and I have inherited all the grinding equipment he has used. I can not wait to begin new porting projects.
I also have a question how long do you let the muriatic acid work on the aluminum remaining in the cylinder, before using a q-tip to remove the aluminium residue
Sven-Erik.

another-064rebuild014.jpg

another-064rebuild013.jpg

Here is my latest addition in the grinding equipment I got,my father has retired as a dental technician and I have inherited all the grinding equipment he has used. I can not wait to begin new porting projects.
I also have a question how long do you let the muriatic acid work on the aluminum remaining in the cylinder, before using a q-tip to remove the aluminium residue
Sven-Erik.

Sven-Erik,

What in the WORLD did you dad do dentist work on?? Whales?? lol.

Just don't let the carbides chatter...they can chip/get ruined that way :D

With the acid, start slow...Ron (RoncoINC) used to like to heat up the cyl in the toaster to 400deg F or so... the acid works quicker. Apply it till it stops bubbling. It's not going to really touch the NiSi in the Cylinder.

Jay

When things get serious...

jackhammer.gif

:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL!!!! I missed that...

You do dentistry on the side Ed?

Now we know the secret to your wildthing!

Only where there is no ADA (American Dental Assoc...) lol..

That's what Ed uses for those pesky carb screws that get corroded and strip out!

LOL

Sven-Erik,

What in the WORLD did you dad do dentist work on?? Whales?? lol.

Just don't let the carbides chatter...they can chip/get ruined that way :D

With the acid, start slow...Ron (RoncoINC) used to like to heat up the cyl in the toaster to 400deg F or so... the acid works quicker. Apply it till it stops bubbling. It's not going to really touch the NiSi in the Cylinder.

Jay

My father was not a dentist but tooth technician, he made false teeth and dentures for other dentists, Thees were made of porcelain gold and platinum, grinding equipment was, therefore, as it appears in the pictures.:)

My father was not a dentist but tooth technician, he made false teeth and dentures for other dentists, Thees were made of porcelain gold and platinum, grinding equipment was, therefore, as it appears in the pictures.:)

I was going to say he must have been a lab tech, or a large animal dentist. Ok Wilber... say awww.

Gotcha..makes more sense now!!

I was going to say he must have been a lab tech, or a large animal dentist. Ok Wilber... say awww.

those are some serious looking cutting wheels!!

J

Gotcha..makes more sense now!!

those are some serious looking cutting wheels!!

J

They are really handy to use with the dental grinder ,it is an old grinding-motor but really power full.
The size they are can be seen clearer here.The shaft on the bits is about 3mm

porting-bb025.jpg

I have some burs like that shown. The double cut carbides clog up with aluminum easy so you have to stay on top of them with a little WD40 to keep them cutting.

They are a the right size shaft to make into an RA (latch style) bur.

I have some burs like that shown. The double cut carbides clog up with aluminum easy so you have to stay on top of them with a little WD40 to keep them cutting.

They are a the right size shaft to make into an RA (latch style) bur.

I do not have much trouble with burs clogging up, and if it builds up I run only the motor in reverse direction with the foot pedal and the aluminum easily comes off.:)

This is my old grinder motor it`s an German motor by the name Kaltenbach&voigt
It is powerful and it doesn't slow down when grinding hard.
Bilde198.jpg

This is a dental tool i also use when porting, can anybody guess what it is for ? (the phone is there only for you to see the size of the tool

Lillebror-19-8-10073.jpg

Back