What porting tools are you using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tool on the right is the Foredom handpiece. The one on the left is from C&C Specialty Tools.

030.jpg

NOW THAT IS SEXAY!!

DSCF2599.jpg

Go the 371! :cheers:

What in the WORLD is that????? is that a dentist tool???

Hell YEAH! top end is like NEW! just need to make it better :D I heard I should be wanting to ask permission to pick your brain a bit on the topic of some super saws I plan soon (371, 288, 394, etc) :chainsaw:

What in the earth??? for the upper x-fers?

http://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html

This is what I use for the "shade tree" hacking I do.
A $20.00 and free shipping set of carbide burrs from eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Bay.
Sometimes a cordless drill and some 1/4" shank burrs for the heavy stuff.

Mike

i remember when that tool was 80-ish.... for saws it won't take a lot of abuse... good deal.

Thanks guys...keep the thoughts coming!

J

C&C Specialty

C&C Specialty updated their website and now has better pictures of the porting tools. When I bought this handpiece a few years ago, the website had fuzzy black&white photos that made all the tools look cheap. I bit the bullet anyway and sent the $$.

I was really surprised when the tool arrived at how stout it is. It's a very well made piece and can handle all the torque that the Foredom motor (geared down 3:1) can put out.

In fact, it's really easy to remove too much metal too fast. I run the tool slowly and use very light pressure.

Any chance it will accept Foredom hand pieces?

I believe it will from the looks of it, but I don't know anyone in this part of the world wealthy enough to own a Foredom so I can find out for sure.

I almost bought a Foredom flex cable off of eeeeeeeeeeee-Bay that I was gonna try but was outbid at the last minute.

Mike

No problems mate. There is plenty now who can pitch in and give help. :cheers:

Yeah Dentist drill. Can be used for persuasion on those late on payments also. :D

LOL...

that must be one EXPENSIVE piece new!!

how well does it work for 40ish mm stuff? i want to do a bit of work to a closed port 55 while i have it apart.

Yup! It's a model 400 XPR. It's the bushing's in the shaft handpiece that may have some wear in the bushings, but it's still working fine for now. My local Lowes has replacement marked down to about half price. Even still, I'd rather spend that money on a Foredom. The need just hasn't dictated it yet though.

I did some homework, but still haven't had to buy one yet. The Dremel just won't die and still does a good job. I think I'll buy the talbe top unit when I do buy. I guess that's just what I'm used too with the Dremel head laying on the table.

Well, that day has finally come. The Dremel power head is fine, but the flex drive has died. Do I spend the money, although not a lot, to replace the flex drive, or go ahead and get the Foredome I want? Here's the one I want. MOTOR. HAND PIECE. Maybe I'd add this angled head later on. H.55A

Last edited:
Foredom H55D vs. NSK IC-300

I have a Foredom hanging motor and an H55D handpiece. The combination is great for getting into really small cylinder transfer ports but it is a light duty unit and had a few downfalls. After about 15 minutes of use the handpiece is hot enough to burn your hand.

The other downfall of the handpiece is that it will only take 3/32" latch burs. I find it impossible to find decent latch style burs but if you look you can find 3/32" regular burs and cut the latch drive in by hand.

I think the next handpiece I get will be the CC specialties type shown previously in this thread. CC specialties are actually reselling a NSK (Nakanishi Eneska of Japan) handpiece and a adapter to convert it to the Foredom flex drive. These handpieces are originally designed for the NSK Electer E-max motor and control system I think for lab dental work.

I've looked around on the internet and I have not been able to find the handpiece and adapter at a much better price then CC.

Here is a list of NSK handpieces which I assume you would be able to use with the adapter (the yellow straight piece shown before). You can look these up and dream of how much easier porting would be with them. I would especially like the KC-300 and the MFC-300S.

NSK BKH-300 - Straight, slim body
NSK MH-300 - Straight, slim body
NSK KC-300 - Angle head, 60ish deg
NSK IC-300 - Right angle head, <-shown earlier in this thread
NSK IC-390 - Right angle head, micro
NSK MFC-300S - Right angle, long body

NSK FA-200 - Adapter to Foredom flex drive

Brad,

Get what you want and enjoy it!
You will be old one day looking at the tool you really don't like and saying..."If I had bought the one I wanted when Mike told me to, it would have paid for itself many times over and I would have had what I wanted".
There is value in pride of ownership.

I am a cheapskate!
I am happy with a tool that does what it's supposed to do for little $$$ but
if I were going to be doing as much of this type of work as you do, I would want the tool that makes it easiest even if it cost a few more coins.
It's not like something that doesn't earn its keep.
My2!:cheers:

Mike

I have a Foredom hanging motor and an H55D handpiece. The combination is great for getting into really small cylinder transfer ports but it is a light duty unit and had a few downfalls. After about 15 minutes of use the handpiece is hot enough to burn your hand.

The other downfall of the handpiece is that it will only take 3/32" latch burs. I find it impossible to find decent latch style burs but if you look you can find 3/32" regular burs and cut the latch drive in by hand.

I think the next handpiece I get will be the CC specialties type shown previously in this thread. CC specialties are actually reselling a NSK (Nakanishi Eneska of Japan) handpiece and a adapter to convert it to the Foredom flex drive. These handpieces are originally designed for the NSK Electer E-max motor and control system I think for lab dental work.

I've looked around on the internet and I have not been able to find the handpiece and adapter at a much better price then CC.

Here is a list of NSK handpieces which I assume you would be able to use with the adapter (the yellow straight piece shown before). You can look these up and dream of how much easier porting would be with them. I would especially like the KC-300 and the MFC-300S.

NSK BKH-300 - Straight, slim body
NSK MH-300 - Straight, slim body
NSK KC-300 - Angle head, 60ish deg
NSK IC-300 - Right angle head, <-shown earlier in this thread
NSK IC-390 - Right angle head, micro
NSK MFC-300S - Right angle, long body

NSK FA-200 - Adapter to Foredom flex drive

Yep, the contra angles do get hot. You find you will only use them for the uppers anyway. I do one side, do some other porting then do the other side.

The burs for these are the "RA" type. If you can't find the "RA" burs, you can locate long shaft 3 3/32" - 2.35mm (I think), mount them in a drill press and cut a groove with the cut off wheel of a dremel then mount in a vise and cut to length and cut your flat.

Yep, the contra angles do get hot. You find you will only use them for the uppers anyway. I do one side, do some other porting then do the other side.

The burs for these are the "RA" type. If you can't find the "RA" burs, you can locate long shaft 3 3/32" - 2.35mm (I think), mount them in a drill press and cut a groove with the cut off wheel of a dremel then mount in a vise and cut to length and cut your flat.

oooohhhhhppp.... latch type. ok. I'm throwin in the white flag... i'm green here....

pics? anyone? help! lol :monkey:

Well, that day has finally come. The Dremel power head is fine, but the flex drive has died. Do I spend the money, although not a lot, to replace the flex drive, or go ahead and get the Foredome I want? Here's the one I want. MOTOR. HAND PIECE. Maybe I'd add this angled head later on. H.55A

I bought a kit off eBay that came with the hanging type SR motor w/floor switch, #44, #28 hand pieces and a bunch of other stuff. It works great but sometimes I wonder if the pedestal mount like you’re looking at might be better. It might be easier to move the motor around depending on what hand you’re grinding with and where your light is coming from. I use the #28 hand piece 90% of the time and would like to find a decent 90-degree attachment.

I bought a kit off eBay that came with the hanging type SR motor w/floor switch, #44, #28 hand pieces and a bunch of other stuff. It works great but sometimes I wonder if the pedestal mount like you’re looking at might be better. It might be easier to move the motor around depending on what hand you’re grinding with and where your light is coming from. I use the #28 hand piece 90% of the time and would like to find a decent 90-degree attachment.

I bought my kit off E-bay for the SR reversible hanging motor the standard handpiece. Then bought a 55D on some other auction. Get the reversible motor, you can get burs for the reverse direction to keep you from jumping over edges. Also you can put tapered cartridge sanding rolls on backward to get into spots that you normally couldn't or to get more life out of them. Spinning them the right direction keeps them from exploding!

I built a long arm out of 3/4" conduit so I can swing it over any position of my bench and then swing it back against the wall when not in use. Don't worry about light, you'll have the boom a ways off your right shoulder most of the time to get the right angle on the flex shaft.

I bought my kit off E-bay for the SR reversible hanging motor the standard handpiece. Then bought a 55D on some other auction. Get the reversible motor, you can get burs for the reverse direction to keep you from jumping over edges. Also you can put tapered cartridge sanding rolls on backward to get into spots that you normally couldn't or to get more life out of them. Spinning them the right direction keeps them from exploding!

I built a long arm out of 3/4" conduit so I can swing it over any position of my bench and then swing it back against the wall when not in use. Don't worry about light, you'll have the boom a ways off your right shoulder most of the time to get the right angle on the flex shaft.

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea. Right now I just have it hanging from a shelf above the bench.

anyone else?

have any MORE thoughts on the 90 deg ABILITY to reach the upper x-fers?

I'm a bit hesitant to spend the ~$400 on the CC piece...although, it is sexy.

j

Back