What saw do you recommend for me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to look outside the fence line on this thought. 10 acres at that rate and you'll have a parking lot in four years.

We pull 10-15 cord per year off of 35 acres. Every 15 years there's a significant timber harvest. We've yet to make a dent...

unless your worried with the warranty buy new off of ebay.without warranty your free to do what you need to do.base gasket deletes and muffler mods is where the fun is at.the cs590 and the ms390 are good starting points after firewood season are over and you have some spare time.

For what you've described, I'd lean toward a 60cc saw. The weight won't kill you when cutting smaller wood, and you'll appreciate the extrapower in bigger wood.

You mentioned that you have no problem with used. Do some reading here, check the classifieds, and read what the sellers have posted, and what has been posted about them. A high post count and/or being around forever doesn't necessarily equal knowledgeable and honest.

Keep an eye on Craig's List. It sounds as though you're going to end up in a area where better chainsaws will show up on CL. I recently had my eye on an ad for a new (per the seller) Echo CS-590 for $200.00. That's a hell of a deal, pretty rare around here, and I'm still tempted. I wound up with a very lightly used, a former Home Depot rental saw, Makita DCS6421 for $230.00. If you run across similar deals, something tells that either saw would suit your purposes just fine. The 6421 could be considered overbuilt & overweight for a 64cc saw, but it'll probably run forever if treated properly. And that's not to bash the 590, not at all.

You're correct, but the OP isn't a pro, and the CS590 is a better saw than any Husqvarna or Stihl homeowner or farm & ranch saw.

That's a very different question than comparing them to the to the 560xp/2260/562xp.

There will always be a number of people that want cheap stuff (or the "underdog") to be "just as good" as more expensive stuff - but it very seldom is true, if ever.
It certainly isn't in this case this time - even the much more expensive 620 fails to be in the same class as those Husky/Jonsered saws - but it is an improvement over earlier Echo saws. The 590 is nowhere close.

The 590 does of course look a lot better when compared to saws that cost about the same in the US. Personally, I don't buy new saws often enough to allow the price to be an important factor - but people are different.

That's a very different question than comparing them to the to the 560xp/2260/562xp.

There will always be a number of people that want cheap stuff to be "just as good" as more expensive stuff - but it very seldom is true, if at all. It certainly isn't in this case - even the much more expensive 620 fails to be in the same class as those Husky/Jonsered saws.

Niko, I'm not sure if you're grumpy because you're up real late, or up real early :crazy:. Can we save the 620 verses the similarly priced Husky and red models for the 620 thread?

Niko, I'm not sure if you're grumpy because you're up real late, or up real early :crazy:. Can we save the 620 verses the similarly priced Husky and red models for the 620 thread?

For starters, the 620 is a heavier saw, that offers less power - and the appearance of the saw is typical Japanese = no "taste".

Btw, have you notised that not a single good looking Japanese car has been designed by a Japanese - they all have been designed by Europeans?

Here's the best idea...

Go to your closest Fall GTG and put your hands on everything you see in the right size. Feel out the 50-60cc difference and find something you like.

Hell, buy an old Homelite 360 for $50 and use that till you know what you like!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS: I like how nobody even gave mention to a dolmar 6100... You guys suck!

For starters, the 620 is a heavier saw, that offers less power - and the appearance of the saw is typical Japanese = no "taste".

Btw, have you notised that not a single good looking Japanese car has been designed by a Japanese - they all have been designed by Europeans?
But over 60% of car designers in the world go to one school.....
In the US. Lol
Chip Foose is an graduate.

US car brands likely are going the way of Homelite and MacCulloch anyway.-...
Speaking of US car brands... Has anyone noticed even brand new Fords have the orange peel texture to their paint jobs when you look at them in sunlight???? However they are painting them they need to stop and reevaluate! I'd expect cheap looking paint on a big RV big not a car I drive every day.

@Bobosocky

Your welcome! But i will continue with my monologue. DO NOT let yourself get influenced by the stupid talk about lightest fastet most handsome or other stupidities. The differences are so minimal that they are totally worthless to a home user! We are speaking about fractions of a second to single seconds difference in cutting speed. A sharp chain has more influence than the model! And weight difference for seldom use is only a joke. And the constant worshiping of pro saws for home users is also quite funny. So if you are in such a hurry you are doing something wrong in you life.

Further I would actually first consider a smaller saw, the regular uses around the farm usually are sufficiently taken care of with the smaller saw. The dolmar 421(~300-350$) is one of the BEST small saws out there in my opinion. Built like a pro saw, has a spring assisted starter (so that even your wife can easily start it), powerful way beyond what one would expect from a 42cc saw. There are pro's here that have run way over a hundred refills through theirs and never had any mentionable problems. It should have no problem whatsoever with wood up to 10-15inch. That is something I would consider.

As another candidate very high up on the list would be a 50cc Poulan Pro PP5020. They usually run for about 200-250$ as far as I have understood. They have a excellent reputation here! That would serve you for a decade very well and put more wood into your shed than you want. As a further benefit it would be very nice to your budget so that you would still have more than enough funds to by PPE = personal protection equipment = chainsaw chaps, helmet, eye & ear protection, chainsaw boots. Not worth buying nice property if you risk serious injury by saving on ppe and not being able to enjoy your property anymore!

There are a few guys here (f.e. nmurph) who sell used/refurbished equipment who stand up to their stuff. I would not worry one second from one of those guys.

What I would definately NOT do is buy a used saw from a unknown source!

good luck!

@Bobosocky

Your welcome! But i will continue with my monologue. DO NOT let yourself get influenced by the stupid talk about lightest fastet most handsome or other stupidities. The differences are so minimal that they are totally worthless to a home user! We are speaking about fractions of a second to single seconds difference in cutting speed. A sharp chain has more influence than the model! And weight difference for seldom use is only a joke. And the constant worshiping of pro saws for home users is also quite funny. So if you are in such a hurry you are doing something wrong in you life.

Further I would actually first consider a smaller saw, the regular uses around the farm usually are sufficiently taken care of with the smaller saw. The dolmar 421(~300-350$) is one of the BEST small saws out there in my opinion. Built like a pro saw, has a spring assisted starter (so that even your wife can easily start it), powerful way beyond what one would expect from a 42cc saw. There are pro's here that have run way over a hundred refills through theirs and never had any mentionable problems. It should have no problem whatsoever with wood up to 10-15inch. That is something I would consider.

As another candidate very high up on the list would be a 50cc Poulan Pro PP5020. They usually run for about 200-250$ as far as I have understood. They have a excellent reputation here! That would serve you for a decade very well and put more wood into your shed than you want. As a further benefit it would be very nice to your budget so that you would still have more than enough funds to by PPE = personal protection equipment = chainsaw chaps, helmet, eye & ear protection, chainsaw boots. Not worth buying nice property if you risk serious injury by saving on ppe and not being able to enjoy your property anymore!

There are a few guys here (f.e. nmurph) who sell used/refurbished equipment who stand up to their stuff. I would not worry one second from one of those guys.

What I would definately NOT do is buy a used saw from a unknown source!

good luck!

As usual, you are totally wrong about you perception of different chainsaw models, beating the "cheaper is just as good" drum - but as usual you also have some good points.

Thank you again 7sleeper. I really appreciate the amount of time you have spent on recommendations.

The budget I mentioned was just for the saw. I will be purchasing a helmet/ear/visor, chaps, gloves, boots before I make a single cut.

Speaking of which my wife and I used some loppers and a little hand saw to clear out over 30 evergreens to make way for the oak, beech, maple and ash. Now she says she wants a chainsaw. Hahaha

Latest posts

Back