What saw is better/should I keep?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmz77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all! I got a deal for 2 chainsaws for $200 in total (Husqvarna 350, Stihl 025). They both run great and I just spent $100 for Oregon bar and chains for both. The Husky got an 18" bar and the Stihl got a 16" bar. My question is, I am going to sell one of them and was wondering which saw is better? The Husky cuts faster as it is a 52cc and the Stihl is only a 44cc, but I know I would only need something as powerful as the Stihl for my firewood/limb needs. My guess is the Stihl is better but can anyone provide input on this? I probably will use my saw only about 25-30hrs a year if I were to guess. THANK YOU!!! :D

Keep em both...... It is always good to have a backup or 3 or 5....... I always bring 2 or more saws when I cut just for the face something always seenms to happen........ Or I will alternate 1 tank per saw until I am done......

I would keep the 350.A friend of mine has had one for 8 years, and cuts about 3 cords a year with no problems.

Both are fine saws for what you are doing, I would keep both for what you have into them you got a deal.

Both are fine saws for what you are doing, I would keep both for what you have into them you got a deal.
Thanks I appreciate that. I originally went for the Husky for $150 and he threw in the Stihl for an extra $50 contingent if I bought them both. I thought I couldn't pass it up! :rock:

The 350 is the better saw for sure, and if you are considering selling and the 025 is in decent shape, it may still bring a few bucks because of the Stihl name. Or, keep both of them as the others have suggested--seems you got a decent deal.

Tim

My old saw was a Homelite Super EZ I had since the mid 80s. She was such a good saw over the years, too bad Homelite went down the toilet it seems with their new saws.

I would definitely keep both. Just yesterday, I was real glad I had an extra saw in my truck. I recently bought a Jonsered 2152 at a pawn shop. I had it cleaned up, sharpened, muffler modded and tuned good. Even ran 3 or 4 tanks of gas through it. When I got it out and started it yesterday, it ran like ****. Pulled out my MS250 and didn't miss a beat. I was working with other guys, and sure didn't need the hassle. Looked at it last night and found the impulse line split. Could not have fixed it in the field. An extra saw is nice if you get the bar pinched too. Maybe that never happened to a good operator, but it has happened to me.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll just keep them both for now as I am not pressed for money. I did have one more "newbee" question. I have been mixing Maxima Super M (that I use in my Honda CR250R) at 40:1 87 octane in all my small engines (weed eater, blower) for a couple years with no problems. Could I just use the same in both saws?
View attachment 264094

Last edited:
I think the MS250/025 saws are under rated. Plenty of them cutting wood without problems. I bought a MS210 (same platform) for carving, and it gets with it. Not a problem out of it yet. (12" Carlton bar and 3/8LP semi chisel non safety).

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll just keep them both for now as I am not pressed for money. I did have one more "newbee" question. I have been mixing Maxima Super M (that I use in my Honda CR250R) at 40:1 87 octane in all my small engines (weed eater, blower) for a couple years with no problems. Could I just use the same in both saws?
View attachment 264094

I'm not familiar with the Maxima oil, but generally you are supposed to use oil rated for an air cooled 2 stroke, not a water cooled 2 stroke, in chainsaws and other small air cooled engines. Unless that Honda CR250R is a much older model, I assume it is water cooled, so chances are the same oil would not be ideal for the bike and the saws.

View attachment 264094

The Maxima is rated Jaso FC and ISO EGD it will work just fine. Bump up to 89 octane.

Latest posts

Back