What saw would YOU buy for stumping with a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What new 90-100cc saw should I buy for a 36" B&C?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I may be selling my 066BB to help a local tree guy out of a pinch. What would you replace it with? It must be greater than 90cc, or don't recommend it. I have that covered already. I'm really wishing the MS661 was available, or there was a modern replacement for the 395XP.

For stumping it's pretty hard to beat the 395XP. They don't have the snappy rev and chain speed of the 660 but they have the torque.

I ran a stock rebuilt 395 and a BB660 head to head and the 395 had the edge every time with a 36" bar and new, off-the-roll 36RSLK.

I would stick with the 084 then and save the $1000 bucks, theres no miracle saw.

Not for nothing, but this is kind of silly

You just rejected a 3120 because you have an 084 and "have no interest."

You rejected or at least spoke ill of the 395xp on the grounds that it's antiquated; the same is implied for the 660.

Are you looking for a magical saw that doesn't exist?

You know what's out there as well as or better than anybody

390/395/3120
660/880
Dolmar 9010/Solo Equivalent

####, get off the pot, or wait for something else to come around.

I'd buy a 3120

Too big, and too heavy, for what I'm looking for. Unless you guys can come up with another suggestion, I'm thinking new M660 for 395XP.

If its to big and heavy for cutting off a stump then what is it used for?

The 395 is as modern a saw as the 660, even more so with the quad transfer ports. They take modding very, very well.
Doing away with the old-school phenolic intake block of the 394 and converting to a rubber boot was a huge plus, as was
mounting the 395 carburetor on its' own vibration mounts. The outboard clutch turns some people off but I've never had
an issue with it.

The 395 is as modern a saw as the 660, even more so with the quad transfer ports. They take modding very, very well.
Doing away with the old-school phenolic intake block of the 394 and converting to a rubber boot was a huge plus, as was
mounting the 395 carburetor on its' own vibration mounts. The outboard clutch turns some people off but I've never had
an issue with it.

So the 395 does have quad transfers and a rugger boot. I wasn't aware of that. Yes, the outboard clutch is a turn off, but I could get over that.

Not for nothing, but this is kind of silly

You just rejected a 3120 because you have an 084 and "have no interest."

You rejected or at least spoke ill of the 395xp on the grounds that it's antiquated; the same is implied for the 660.

Are you looking for a magical saw that doesn't exist?

You know what's out there as well as or better than anybody

390/395/3120
660/880
Dolmar 9010/Solo Equivalent

####, get off the pot, or wait for something else to come around.

I'd buy a 3120

Actually, what I'm looking for is exactly that...a MS661:) So I just wanted to chat with my chainsaw buddies about this decision. Help me spend the money, lol.

i would change my mind, and find a 2100, tear it down and fix or refurbish every last bolt or problem that may arise... 2100 is just amazing...

So the 395 does have quad transfers and a rugger boot. I wasn't aware of that. Yes, the outboard clutch is a turn off, but I could get over that.

The anti-vibration capacity of the 395 is a light year ahead of the 660. The carburetor is completely vibration-isolated and that helps with longevity.
I sold my 660 and 066 and now I have a 394 and a 395.

Back