What saw would YOU buy for stumping with a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What new 90-100cc saw should I buy for a 36" B&C?

• Total voters
Ran a 394, liked it. Have a 660 at work, like it. Haven't run a 395. Bet I'd like it. Funny thing about modern pro saws -- they're all pretty damned good in every way. They also keep getting better. I love my oldies -- they have personality. I wouldn't want to run 'em for a living, though. I betcha even RandyMac woulda taken a Stihl 440 over a Mac 440 back in the day, if they sat side by side on the same tailgate and maintenance was somebody else's expense.

It must be new, or mint. I'm not interested in any old classics. This is for a work saw and I want a new one.

I grind stumps as a side buisness and therefore cut a lot of waste high stumps off. I cut stumps anywhere from 4" pines to 7' cotton woods. I to a majority of them with my muffler modded 064 and 066. I do however use some older saws that I prefer in many ways. I use a poulan 5200, partner P100 and pro mac 850 as well. What I like better about the older saws for stumping is the torque, heavier clutches that seem to hold better and stiff AV mounts. Let's face it stump cutting is a hard job, chains get dull and you often end up forcing them to finish a cut soft AV mounts don't work well for this. I used my dolmar 7900 once. The AV was too soft to muscle through stumps for me. As far as wieght, it's not a big issue for me because your working on the ground usually on your knees.

I always wanted a 660, but couldn't afford it. I wound up getting my 2095 and loved it. I still lusted for a 660. Then I ran my stock 2095 next a friends stock 660 with dp muffler. I stopped caring about the 660 after that:hmm3grin2orange:. If the 395 is close in performance to the 2095, I'd be all over that. Plus you already knew what saw you were going to get before you started this thread:msp_smile: You just wanted some reinforcement!

If you were lucky enough to get rid of your 066 why would you consider buying another one???
Wouldn't that be kinda like marrying your ex-wife again?:dizzy:

Mike

I say just get the 395 then B-dawg.

They are stout saws. The AV is better, but the 660 vibs don't seem to bother me.

The weight and handling of the 395 is what turns me off on them. I prefer the 660, but if you're wanting to try something different then just get the 395. They're awesome saws no doubt.

Now brad,
don't be buying any saw just yet, you have a package coming on monday. I need your attention to that first, i am getting too excited and want it back asap.:hmm3grin2orange:
trevor

New current models being,

The 395 is what you need next. You have had 660s and been around the 9010s all that is left is the 395.

I am running Husks this year for something different myself. 395s feel heavier and bigger than 660s but pull a good bit better.

Get a couple and go nuts.

Personally I would go with one of the other two for a 36" stump'n saw, they put the clutch in the wrong place on the 395s. If you are flush cutting the stumps pick up an extra chain brake flag for the 395s. Whole clutch cover might not be a bad idea.

Oh, and 390s don't count, glorified fragile high strung 372 big bores.

Last edited:
Too big, and too heavy, for what I'm looking for. Unless you guys can come up with another suggestion, I'm thinking new M660 for 395XP.
Are u messing with us little buddy! You answered your own question LOL! Either one you mentioned. Even though that 84 is big and heavy, for stumping, and bucking a cadilac, and stumping weight should not be an issue. Though not mint or new, my 2101 eats stumps with ease, so does my 660. Your 390 should make ease of stumps too, I know a 288 does.

Ran a 394, liked it. Have a 660 at work, like it. Haven't run a 395. Bet I'd like it. Funny thing about modern pro saws -- they're all pretty damned good in every way. They also keep getting better. I love my oldies -- they have personality. I wouldn't want to run 'em for a living, though. I betcha even RandyMac woulda taken a Stihl 440 over a Mac 440 back in the day, if they sat side by side on the same tailgate and maintenance was somebody else's expense.

I think I heard the sound of a tire iron being pulled out of the back of a Ranchero...:D

I'd go with a ported 880 and a lightweight 36" bar, makes fast work of any stump. Next I've used my Mac 125 with 28 and 36 inch bars for stumping and it worked way better than my 066. Those 125 Macs don't take to pinching a bar near as easy as the 066 does. The conservative side of me says however, go 395 then 660. Almost like milling, stumping is hard work on a saw and more torque is a definite plus in that kind of work.

Out of the 395 and 660 I would take a new 395. I do like the 3120 for a 36" bar but it is heavy.

Why would you want a "new" saw for stumping?

And a 36" bar fer stumping??

My stumpers include a 143 with a 20", a1100 with a 28", and 133 with 24". (use the 143 the most)

Flush cutting stumps is miserable work for both chain and machine. once you lose that edge the cut is going to curve sure as ****.

The longer the bar, the bigger the pinch. Good luck with your search.

rayco_rg140dxh.gif

stumps are, shall we say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a bit stubborn.

If you were lucky enough to get rid of your 066 why would you consider buying another one???
Wouldn't that be kinda like marrying your ex-wife again?:dizzy:

Mike

Simply because it never leaves me wanting. I can put my hip against it and push it right through the cut. I simply have the opportunity to upgrade to a new saw. Some of my saws are more of a man toy, while others are for real work. My 084 does see some work, but you won't find me stumping with it. A ported 660 is plenty. I honestly intended to buy a new 660, but you guys have me more interested inthe 395. Then again, I am sorely tempted by a mintish 066 I've come across. Yes, I belabor stuff like this, but I enjoy the hunt.

Last edited:
Back