What saw would YOU buy for stumping with a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What new 90-100cc saw should I buy for a 36" B&C?

• Total voters
Portable stump gringer -flush cutter. Put the bar in any position and let her rip.:rock:
101_8096640x480.jpg

If you can't wait, buy a new 660. I'd take the 660 over the 395 any day but that JMO. I don't know which one is the better saw for anyone else, but me, I just can't handle one like I can a 660. They feel 30 pounds to me. Very cumbersome saw IMO, and the power difference is pretty much made up with a DP and muff mod.
So you have to mod the 660s so they can keep up with the 395s :D

Brad, you have a red truck... Easy solution
1d83c146.png

Make a Frankensaw. Put it on rollers and hook up a remote. Or make it turn sideways like the above saw. Doing that flush cut to a stump sucks. Invent/make a better one.

The huskies do have better oilers and AV, but if your not in a hurry and can hold off a little while, I would be tempted to wait to see if a 661 comes out soon. You seem to be in good with your dealer so i'm sure he will give you a heads up asap upon release. 261's out due 260's, 441CM's out due 440's, so i would imagine that a 661 would surpass the 660 in big ways. Just my 2 cents.

Another thing to consider Brad and this comes from experience cutting a lot of stumps. As you know I'm a big Husky fan with larger saws but also have a good look at the filtration if getting close to the ground. The new Stihl HD2 filter will definately not let any finer dust past it (REAL dust, not wood dust). I doubt you'll be cutting enough stumps to ever encounter any problems but it is something to consider.
That last ported 660 you built for me was the ultimate stumping saw but I sold it because the 390XP's are a far better balanced felling saw. It had torque a plenty though, that's for sure :D

A Husky 395 This is my reasoning. I would like it for the outbord cluch. Simply because stumping saws tend to run warm running close to the ground. Keeping all the heat away as far as possible from the powerhead is beneficial. Atleast with an outbord clutch the heat from the cluch is away from the powerhead. In an inboard clutch application the cluch heat is near the powerheads internal components. This obviously is most important for cluch slip.

its funny but I actually prefer the 395 for stumpin but the 066 for bucking...the 395 feels like a cinder block to me...but on its side the 395 is ok....kinda like fat chicks...ya know...they're fun until the lights come on...395's are like fat chicks...good fun but not so svelte. Easier to catch as you get older too.

Exhaust port direction will be another factor with a stumping saw,in ya face no good,toward the ground with no spark screen pushing up dust no good.

Castroll TTS oil no good either unless you want your nostrils and sinuses honed out a few inches from the fumes :)

Back