What the heck IS an EPA stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Says who?? And if you answer with the EPA, or any other politically driven entity, I'll laugh in your face.
Probably a box with a hole and a pipe sticking out of it, the 40% figure is a total piece of shiit stove.

well your right there are some intermediate stoves that made their way to the eventual EPA stove they did make improvements. I guess I was talking just real old stoves. But they are making improvements on the newer stoves getting to be like 85% efficient moving up from the 80-82 range that used to be the top.

oh my god its oldspark on arborist lol glad to see ya old friend

well your right there are some intermediate stoves that made their way to the eventual EPA stove they did make improvements. I guess I was talking just real old stoves. But they are making improvements on the newer stoves getting to be like 85% efficient moving up from the 80-82 range that used to be the top.
I had a test of the older stoves I posted over in the H forum with numbers, might still be there I guess.

But they are making improvements on the newer stoves getting to be like 85% efficient moving up from the 80-82 range that used to be the top.

Keep in mind that combustion efficiency does not necessarily equal heating efficiency... it ain't, never was, and never will be automatic.
Think of the "high efficiency" toilets; they use very little water (for a single flush), but can't flush crap (pun intended)... and when it requires 4 friggin' flushes to flush the crap any supposed "efficiency" sails right out the window.

You guys and the epa are far too worried about efficiency in my view . If i have plenty of wood and I'm willing to cut twice the wood that's my problem. I understand when I'm 50 I might care but it's a personal choice regardless. You get all you can and that's fine with me. I have different needs and goals.

Keep in mind that combustion efficiency does not necessarily equal heating efficiency... it ain't, never was, and never will be automatic.
Think of the "high efficiency" toilets; they use very little water (for a single flush), but can't flush crap (pun intended)... and when it requires 4 friggin' flushes to flush the crap any supposed "efficiency" sails right out the window.
Yup. King of the hill made a great episode about just that.

Try to keep terminology straight - if you use a term like "heating efficiency" please define it, as I am not sure what you mean by that. I suspect you mean heat output, or energy output per time.

High efficiency in terms of the energy ultimately extracted from the fuel in the firebox does not directly imply any particular output rate, because there is no time period specified (nor the amount of energy) - it is just BTU extracted per BTU input. It may also have a high output rate, but that is a different parameter. This isn't a scam, it is just looking at two different variables.

I live away from neighbors.... I burn lots of brush and no one whines about it either
Well we don't want to forget about the areas where the smoke was a big issue, not here for me in the middle of nowhere, big brush fires here also.

Well we don't want to forget about the areas where the smoke was a big issue, not here for me in the middle of nowhere, big brush fires here also.
I don't burn seasoned wood though. It's seasoned enough to not smoke. I know the smoke you guys gripe about but my semi green wood doesn't make it...

I don't burn seasoned wood though. It's seasoned enough to not smoke. I know the smoke you guys gripe about but my semi green wood doesn't make it...
You must be confused, I am not complaining about the smoke just pointing out the fact it was a big problem is some parts of the country.
I like the old stoves and I can burn mine (in shop now) with little to no smoke.

Heck yes I understood what you were talking about Chris-PA, but you obviously don't understand what I was talking about.
I was never talking about my rights, or those of anyone else... I was talking about powers the Federal Government is authorized to use and not use.
Although, in response to your (what appears to be) emotionally driven statement about my ass... I'm not concerned with enforcement, but I am fully prepared to defend not only my rights and liberties, but also yours, against attack from anyone, using whatever means necessary. My ideology may be archaic, but I would rather die defending liberty and freedom, than live under tyranny leaving my children and grandchildren to do the hard work of ending it. I believe it is my duty as a citizen of this nation, and my obligation to my forefather's honor... anything less on my part would be disgraceful and reprehensible.
So no, you are wrong, the future will not disappoint me... I am already sorely disappointed...
I also understood what you are saying, and you may get to demonstrate your ability to enforce them. As for archaic - you are talking about defending the documents associate with second government of the United States (George Washington being the eighth President of the USA, and the first president of the second government), and I'm still pissed about that coup. So you see things do evolve, and you are a revisionist.

You guys and the epa are far too worried about efficiency...
L-O-L ‼
Believe me, anything to do with the EPA certainly ain't about efficiency...
Think about it?? A multi-trillion dollar, taxpayer funded, federal agency to regulate wood-burning stoves??
Yeah :dizzy: that's real efficient...

High efficiency in terms of the energy ultimately extracted from the fuel in the firebox does not directly imply any particular output rate, because there is no time period specified (nor the amount of energy) - it is just BTU extracted per BTU input.
Ummm... well, I'll call a big-azz BS to that‼
Go look at any heating appliance (other than a wood-fired appliance)... every single one is rated by the hour (that would be a rate of time ya' know?). A gas furnace rated at 100,000 BTU per hour at 80% efficiency means it will output 80,000 BTU's of heat PER FRIGGIN' HOUR‼ Every friggin' hour it runs‼ The 100,000 BTU is the fuel's potential BTU input rate per hour of run time, and the 80% determines the BTU output rate per hour of run time. Every single heating appliance (except wood-fired) is rated by a "time period"... your statement is total hogwash‼

You guys and the epa are far too worried about efficiency in my view . If i have plenty of wood and I'm willing to cut twice the wood that's my problem. I understand when I'm 50 I might care but it's a personal choice regardless. You get all you can and that's fine with me. I have different needs and goals.

So you work harder not smarter? Doesn't seem like a very good position to have. By choosing not to stockpile firewood at least a year ahead for seasoning you are not only getting less heat out of your wood, you are polluting the air. Your position is why the EPA pushed the current crop of wood stoves in the first place.

L-O-L ‼
Believe me, anything to do with the EPA certainly ain't about efficiency...
Think about it?? A multi-trillion dollar, taxpayer funded, federal agency to regulate wood-burning stoves??
Yeah :dizzy: that's real efficient...

Ummm... well, I'll call a big-azz BS to that‼
Go look at any heating appliance (other than a wood-fired appliance)... every single one is rated by the hour (that would be a rate of time ya' know?). A gas furnace rated at 100,000 BTU per hour at 80% efficiency means it will output 80,000 BTU's of heat PER FRIGGIN' HOUR‼ Every friggin' hour it runs‼ The 100,000 BTU is the fuel's potential BTU input rate per hour of run time, and the 80% determines the BTU output rate per hour of run time. Every single heating appliance (except wood-fired) is rated by a "time period"... your statement is total hogwash‼

You do realize that wood stove manufacturers do the same thing. When they give a rating on a stove, it's a heat rate.

https://www.englanderstoves.com/30-nc.html

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Isle-Royale-Wood-Stove.aspx?page=Specifications

It's a common mistake for marketing people to leave off the per hour tag on the heat rating. This is why they are marketing people and not engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back