What to sell wood for this year (I need advice)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on LB,

We don't want to compete with someone that might not be in business next year because they can't afford logs ,gas or found they work for nothing. They didn't get what it was worth to begin with . But, when they advertise their low rates it sure does spoil the legitimate playing field.
We should all be in the $ 300+ dollar range.

hbbyloggr, I'm glad you used the (+) sign in your post, That makes me within the $300 plus-plus-plus-plus-plus dollar range that you refer to. :blob2:

I started quite a discussion

I will have to do a BTU calculation on pine vs. propane, natural gas. Then figure the cost out. Then I intend to figure the cost of running the equipment, tack that in there, then figure the cost of running me! Once this is all figured out, I will print out a bunch of copies so that I can hand them out.

This is a method of explaining why it costs to get firewood. If somebody don't like it, then.....
Roy sells saws, Ford sells trucks, and the FS office sells permits. :chainsawguy:

-Pat

My wood sells for $ 230.00 green and $ 270.00 seasoned. We also have kiln dried wood for $ 375.00 per 1/2 cord.
Before you sneeze, we buy in our " processor " logs, buy in our fuel in bulk, make truck payments, make processor payments, make loader payments, pay our mortgage, taxes, food, and try to make a living.
We sell 1000 cord per year. If I sold my wood at 180 either the business would have to go or the family would have to sell out.
Sell a good product ,provide excellent service ,and charge what that is worth.

Hbbyloggr
That sounds closer to what a true cord is worth
I am high here but don't sell much as I burn wood, but a few customers
ask and I take care of there needs at 150 cord we have a lot of wood
in our state. Supply and demand sets price but it is always worth more to
the service provider than what he is paid for his service and think I am
going up 200.00 this year. Most of the sellers call a cord 4-16-whatever
width customer wants and I do 4/4/8

I will have to do a BTU calculation on pine vs. propane, natural gas. Then figure the cost out. Then I intend to figure the cost of running the equipment, tack that in there, then figure the cost of running me! Once this is all figured out, I will print out a bunch of copies so that I can hand them out.

This is a method of explaining why it costs to get firewood. If somebody don't like it, then.....
Roy sells saws, Ford sells trucks, and the FS office sells permits. :chainsawguy:

-Pat

Pat

Were are you making your wood, if I may ask? As I have way more down then I need in one of my areas, just past Conifer.

People that burn wood to save money are bad with math, who knows were the price of propane and NG will go this year, but they will still be cheaper then firewood, The Denver area is a good market!

As far as delivery, I do mention "subject to market price" with the way gas prices go, that get a chuckle out of that and just pay it.

Offering a stacking service is something some people like, if you have access to high-school kids that will stack for tips!

With the cost of fuel...!

I know where Conifer is, but the cost of transporting it is out of the question.
I just started a fairly large cut this year with another fella. With the cut being like 5 miles from the shop.... it is pretty nice. Arkansas valley is where I am.

Up here, it is exactly the opposite. It is cheaper to heat with wood than gas. Plenty of people are "retiring" here, and want to burn wood, but not cut it.
Plenty of folks up here cut their own wood as well.

What I will do is figure out a fair price for the wood, and have statistics to prove that I am "fair". The fella I work with cuts 400+ cords per year.
I am small fry at less than 50...

-Pat

just a note here but you cant compare wood to gas or oil .... why ??
well gas and oil take no work to work just turn up the heat and go.
wood to me is alot of work and if i have to pay the same for wood as gas then why burn wood.
burning wood is an old way of life and if you want to use wood then i suggest a pellet stove .
they are way better in many ways and use less wood with alot less hassle .
I have a OWB and it eats alot of wood but i also burn junk wood that is just going to rot if i dont use it.
so befor you try and figure out what wood should be priced at the ways you have suggested ask a grain farmer or a chicken farmer what he was getting 20 years ago and today.

My wife asked me if heating with wood was saving us any money the other day, right before we had our 325 gallon propane tank filled for the hefty sum of $728. If I had to heat my house with propane I would probably have to fill my tank 3 or 4 times over the winter. I do not pay for wood "yet" but when I do have to I think it will still be cheaper than propane. Do you guys think it is easier for you to sell grapple loads of wood versus cut and split?

When you guys say a "cord" of wood are you referring to a face cord (32 cubic feet) or a "bush" cord (4 x 32 cubit feet= 128 cubic feet)?

We sell ours by the face cord (32 cubic feet). It is a mix of hardwood (oak, hard maple- norway, sugar, beech, locust, etc). We sell it for $80 per face cord delivered. We sell out EVERY year (around 500 face cords).

The advertising we do is in the Yellow pages (about $20 per month) and in one local paper (about $20 per month). BOTH are cheap advertising. We list our price right in the paper and there are others in the same section that sell for $30 less per cord but we still get A LOT of calls.

No complaints with our wood...people love it. :)

-Matt

P.S. I HATE stacking wood! :(

When you guys say a "cord" of wood are you referring to a face cord (32 cubic feet) or a "bush" cord (4 x 32 cubit feet= 128 cubic feet)? :(

I sell the honest cord. 128 cu. ft. I will not short anybody. This collection of customers (hear the little birdies, cheap, cheap, cheap) are willing to do the extra labor to feed a fire to safe on the gas bill. But not willing to work that hard to gather the stuff.

For example, this house is electric heat. The stove has paid for itself with the savings in juice..! :biggrinbounce2:

I think the price this year locally is gonnna be $145 cheap.
Anybody who wants to haggle can kiss my :censored:

-Pat

Latest posts

Back