What type of Stihl to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chainysaw

chainysaw

ArboristSite Lurker
I live in Newfoundland, Canada and I cut 4-5 cords of fire wood and 50-100 saw logs each year. I typically cut spruce, birch and aspen for fire wood and spruce saw logs; I don't cut much over 18" butts. My old 36cc craftsman is having trouble keeping up. I want to replace it with a Stihl. What would be the best model for my needs.

Stihl Crazy

Stihl Crazy

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
I don't think people understand what we pay for saws here in Atlantic Canada. A good deal on a new 361 is around $800. New 260 is $675. A 359 is over $700. My advice for a new saw would be a MS 290. My dealer has them on for $399. I know some people think they are junk , but I have seen alot of wood cut with lesser saws.

On the used side you should be able to get any good 0-65cc pro saw for the money mentioned. If you decide on a 361 get the Arctic if your air is like ours in Nova Scotia. My plain one works fine in really cold dry air but ices up in the minus 5 to plus 5 range when there is moisture in the air.

chainysaw

chainysaw

ArboristSite Lurker
I've been looking at the ms 290 but I've gotten mixed reviews. I also found that it is a pretty heavy saw. What do you guys think about the ms 250? By the way thanks for the info.

Stihl Crazy

Stihl Crazy

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
My neighbor has had an old 025 for at least 8 years. He cuts about the same amount each year that you plan on cutting. He has put 2 topends on it in that time, but his filing is poor to say the least. If weight is an issue, it is a nicer handling saw than the 290.

bigbadbob

bigbadbob

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Have you tried craigslist or the buy and sell, around here you can get a good used saw for 50% of new cost, just keep looking. I picked up a very clean 044 arctic for $175 an 034 with a new topend for $285 and 026 for $200 so the deals are out there.I was at the Stihl dealer yesterday and yes they want lots for the new saws maybe even a bit pricey. IMHO.
Good Luck

MikeInParadise

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
I live in Newfoundland, Canada and I cut 4-5 cords of fire wood and 50-100 saw logs each year. I typically cut spruce, birch and aspen for fire wood and spruce saw logs; I don't cut much over 18" butts. My old 36cc craftsman is having trouble keeping up. I want to replace it with a Stihl. What would be the best model for my needs.

Where abouts on the island do you live? If you are in my area we can get together and you can give the MS260 a try.

If you have been doing this with a 36cc craftsman you will love the MS260, heck you would love the 290 I am sure. I love mine and it works very well for our type of wood as we don't have many hardwoods of any size. I just picked up a used MS361 but haven't put it to wood yet so I can't really comment on that.

I know that Stihl just raised its prices here on January 1st. Right now they have 2 specials running which is the MS290 for $399 cnd and the MS390 for $499 cnd. I know in December the MS260 was $599 cnd.

When I bought the MS660 the only Stihl dealer that would give me a discount has Hickman Rentals in St. Johns. On the smaller saws no one will discount.

Last edited:
stihltech

stihltech

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
saws

A used 360 or 361 would be the best. If you don't mind the weight, the 290 is a very reliable saw, I would lean towards a 310.
BUT, if you have been doing this with a 36cc saw, a 260 would be a dream. Heck a 250 would also.

I think you show that it doesn't always take a large saw to do the job.
A 40 to 50cc saw in any of the good brands will make your work much easier.

MikeInParadise

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
How much is a Husky 353 in Canada?I may be the cheapest pro quality out there......

These were just before Christmas and Stihl has raised the prices on January 1.

attachment.php

attachment.php

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
A used 360 or 361 would be the best. If you don't mind the weight, the 290 is a very reliable saw, I would lean towards a 310.
BUT, if you have been doing this with a 36cc saw, a 260 would be a dream. Heck a 250 would also.

I think you show that it doesn't always take a large saw to do the job.
A 40 to 50cc saw in any of the good brands will make your work much easier.

Great post. Pretty much sums it up.

I'd get the 290. It isn't *that* heavy but will definitely get the job done. And they are reliable as can be. I ran one for years and was quite satisfited with it.

As for SawTroll's suggestion, a Husqvarna 353 would be a superb choice, better in most respects than the 250/290. But it has always been my impression that Husqvarna doesn't have a substantial presence up in your area, though I may be wrong. So that may be an issue for you.

Latest posts