What was your 1st ever chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McCulloch 33B. Heavy, slow gear drive, underpowered but we cut a lot of fence posts and firewood with it Traded it on a Homlite with the transmission with hi,low and neutral. Wish i still had it!

My very first saw was a poulan pro wildthing from home cheapo. i used it on a stump job the very same day i bought it and it paid for itself. . . i still have it, but after i bought my jonsered 2156, it doesn't get used much anymore. . . . and now i have a j-red 2139t and a sling'rized dolmar 7900 to go with it!

A little crapsman with an 18" bar (35-40cc). Just upgraded to a 361 and pawning the old one off on my brother (for free, of course).

Poulan 3400!

Some "scum of the earth" decided I didn't need it as bad as they did.

I have a few to take its place though.

Mike

First saw

My first saw was a craftsman 358.35083 based on the Poulan model 20. This saw was given to me by my grandfather when I was about 16. This little saw lasted for years. The first saw I bought was a Poulan 2075 in 1997--the year the little craftsman died:(--I needed a saw and was really short on money so this fit the bill. I still have this saw with a 12" bar and chain combo on it. I use it to cut small limbs and pallets for kindling. I have replaced the P&C and the carb. over the 12 years I have had it. Just goes to show you that good maintenance and TLC can keep a cheap saw running for a long time:D

Mine was in 1973, Pop told me to buy it on credit to set me up with credit in the future. Bought a Homelite Super EZ Automatic. Thought it was the stuff then ran good and did what It should. Still have it, still runs but don't run it anymore other than for giggles.

Did you buy it new? Were you happy with it? Have you stuck with the same make?
Mine was a craftsman with a 14" bar. I never did any thing to it except tighten the chain once in a while. I got it used for $50, and ran it hard for about 10 years until one day it just quit. I got a Reconditioned 45 CC Homelite timberman from Northern tools ($100) and used it for about 5 years. I learned to sharpen my chain and do a little maintenanc and it was (still is) runnning well. I got to a point where I needed a little more saw, and discovered this bunch of Addicts. I questioned, read and studied and ended up with a Dolmar 510. ($325) Great saw for the price. I love it. My son us using the Homelite for light home owner stuff, and for the price (free) he loves it.

That about covers my saw heritage for the last 15 or 20 years. Since I got my property in the country I have used my saw more than I ever did in the first few years. If I need more I may go with a Stihl (361 or 460) but for now the little Dolmar does all I need. :chainsawguy:

husky 359 started all this for me. then came a project 084 rebuilt this saw ported it later traded it for 372(payed 50 bucks for the 084) then did project 044. the 044 is now my most favorite saw. then somehwere in the mix i bought a like new 026. this my small firewood limbing saw. then i snagged another 044 project saw. then a few months later a 440 project saw. then just in the last few weeks a freind of mine gave me 034 super. ohhh theres 024 parts saw in the garage to

also tracked down my grandphas pioner model 11, i ran this saw when i was a kid 11 12 years old. took me few months to track down within the family, it was well worth is as i heard it fire to life in hands 15 years later.
i plan to refurb this saw and give it back to grandpha

but yeah the 359 started all this i payed 300 for it(like knew inside and out) i think, ported it muffler modded and its a screamer. the rest fell in place after that

Poulan 2300 CVA 1st year for that model I believe. can't stand it, still have it and still use it. I heated my home for a few winters, so now it is semi-retired. use it to clean fence rows and stuff. wanted to get another American branded chainsaw with some muscle only to find out that there aren't any left!

stihl is a german name, but all the saws under the 441 are made in virginia beach! ms361 time!!!!!!!!!

First one I used was my dad's Mac15, we spent more time trying to start it than we did cutting. He finally got fed up and gave it away.
First saw I owned was a Super 2, great camping saw until some scum lifted it. I had a pretty good idea who it was but couldn't prove it. Next one was a Poulan 3000 but that disappeared too. GRRR. I now have a an XL, a blue XL1AO, neither of which run, and a like new Husky 35 (noisy little beast).

An early 90's electric Mac with manual oiler, no idea what model. My father borrowed it for my sister's BF to use cutting firewood for my parent's house. Somehow in the whole sorry incident, my father gave the BF my saw as part payment for the work (and later paid me the saw's worth.) I was annoyed at the time, but it was probably all for the best.

Stihl 017. Started on the 3d pull every time when cold, but when you stopped to gas it up, be prepared to let it cool down for 20 minutes before you could start it again. I sold it in a yard sale.

Ian

My first saw was a Stihl 026 Pro I traded 4 sheets of plywood for, lol. (The plywood was free). Got a Poulan 3000 at the same time. Sold both of them, and loved both of them. The 026 cut every stick of firewood I heated with for 3 years. Then I found Arboristsite, and went nuts...

Latest posts

Back